Forum for kitesurfers
Mattdog
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SS lock n load

Postby Mattdog » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:45 pm

Hey I'm considering buying one of these. Any problems with them?

Can you reload it on the water after quick releasing?

pndLA
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: brazil, west-oz, capetown, MRU, Lanzarote, Tarifa...
Style: Waves & Foil
Gear: Slingshot / Ozone / North / LEVITAZ Foils
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot, Ozone, North, Gaastra,

Re: SS lock n load

Postby pndLA » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:16 pm

Can you reload it on the water after quick releasing?
yes! easy!

ps.: wavegrenade rulz!

singlemalt
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Many

Postby singlemalt » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:00 am

It's one of the easier ones to reload. Depends on the conditions you are in, if there's waves crashing on your head it's not so easy :thumb:

Mattdog
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mattdog » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:27 am

Thanks. I sort of decided today that a push away QR like the Naish smart loop is far safer. IF the kite is falling backward into the window, for example, and there is no tension on the front lines, the QR will not release. The push forward variety rely on your pushing action to open the QR, not tension from the kite, plus you could use either hand to reach the QR equally well.

I sort of changed my mind to the Naish smart loop. Looks compact with a cleat built in ...

STORMBIRD
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Maui, Isle of Palms South Carolina, South Padre Island Texas, Punta San Carlos Baja Mexico., pak nam pran Thailand...and a secret spot!
Style: kiteloops, unhooked,wavenostraps
Gear: North Vegas,Eclipse Thruster kites, 2007 naish thorn board or strapless surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None, mutt quiver and duct tape

Postby STORMBIRD » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:00 am

good decision....but the naish chicken bone will wear out, the elastic within the smart loop also wears out, and the red plastic can break....not perfect, but still one of the best systems that I have seen. we use them in the school that I work at. The slingshot bar has some major problems....quick release is not a push away, and the thing will release if you breath on it or look at it funny and the leash is also a pull away, so if you drop the bar when unhooked, the leash rubs against you, releases, and your kite blows away and is destroyed on the rocks. :bye: :bye: :bye: :bye: Anybody making a proper sle bar this year, or is it like 2007....? :argue:

jens_buhl
Medium Poster

Postby jens_buhl » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:04 pm

STORMBIRD wrote:Anybody making a proper sle bar this year, or is it like 2007....? :argue:
Just saw the Flexifoil Ion3 bar today and it looked very nice with 360 degree push safety on the CL that is very easy to assemble. Pull-Pull above the bar depower trim, spinning CL as well as frontline safety below the bar.

The only thing I do not remember is, if the suicide connection releases when the CL safety is activated. (think not)

https://www.flexifoil.com/products/cont ... etail/173/

/Jens

Noabacca
Frequent Poster

Postby Noabacca » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:52 am

Mattdog wrote:Thanks. I sort of decided today that a push away QR like the Naish smart loop is far safer. IF the kite is falling backward into the window, for example, and there is no tension on the front lines, the QR will not release. The push forward variety rely on your pushing action to open the QR, not tension from the kite, plus you could use either hand to reach the QR equally well.

I sort of changed my mind to the Naish smart loop. Looks compact with a cleat built in ...
I don't know why you'd need a release when there is no tension on the front lines.
Just unhook, save yourself the trouble of "resetting" any quick release system.

I'm sold on the Slingshot Lock and Load, for ease of use, plus fifth line cleat option.
The chance of an accidental release is the slimmest I've seen. I've seen a number of the
"Forward Push" get popped when riders get jarred forward, riding in waves. (Lake Michigan).

Also, Slingshot carries the most A La Carte replacement parts at cheap prices, that I've seen.

They got it right.

But whatever, just another a s s h o l e 's opinion.

Like, wide loops are better than the little micro loops, and stuff.

-NBP

STORMBIRD
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Maui, Isle of Palms South Carolina, South Padre Island Texas, Punta San Carlos Baja Mexico., pak nam pran Thailand...and a secret spot!
Style: kiteloops, unhooked,wavenostraps
Gear: North Vegas,Eclipse Thruster kites, 2007 naish thorn board or strapless surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None, mutt quiver and duct tape

Postby STORMBIRD » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:43 am

Flexi is ok but if you release and the chicken finger (DD) is not engaged, the loop will sink, and you are done! And about the slingy, that thing was useless for unhooked and my kite blew away countless times....switched b ack to my North lease, removed the DD and then taped the quick release shut. lame settup. really nice kites though. :cool2:

jens_buhl
Medium Poster

Postby jens_buhl » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:13 am

STORMBIRD wrote:Flexi is ok but if you release and the chicken finger (DD) is not engaged, the loop will sink, and you are done!
Agree, forgot about this sinking "feature"... :roll:

/Jens

Return to “Kitesurfing”