Style: Wake
Gear: LF Element with Escalade bindnings. Eh Wave 7, 11, 15
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitetrip Portugal

Postby whiskas » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:26 am

Hi all!
We are a bunch that are going for a kitetrip to Portugal two weeks in august. We plan on flying in to Lissabon, renting a car/bus there and then roadtrip from Lissabon and northwards.

What places shouldn´t one miss when there? Varying between waves and flat would be optimal. Are there any kiting restrictions during august? Where and what kind of restrictions? Any cheap car (surfbus) rental places you could recommend?

Any and all tips are welcome and gratefully accepted
Regards

tommeltot
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: .

Re: Kitetrip Portugal

Postby tommeltot » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:47 pm

I'm just back from a trip to Portugal where I stayed in a town called Cascais only 40 mins from Lisbon. Delightful small hotel called Sola Dom Carlos. There are some nice restaurants here but no night life to speak of. Try the restaurant Don Pedro 1 if you go. Excellent food!
As for the kiting used Guincho 20 mins. up the road. Don't leave your kit on view in the car though as my mate had his broken into and lost two Revolvers-that's Cabrinha kites not shooters!
When it was too windy here meaning big waves went to Caparica a 40 min drive towards Lisbon and over the bridge in the direction of the Algarve. This was a nice wide sandy beach just like Guincho but a little tamer I suppose when too much at Guincho. I'd recommend the trip. :) Most locals speak English and they're friendly apart from the thieving gits but then every country has that element I suppose :x

vasco
Very Frequent Poster

Postby vasco » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:41 pm

Near Lisbon

Guincho strong and gusty with waves, not for beginners (rocks) no exit downwind.
Costa steady moderate, friendly spot.
Lagoa de albufeira (lagoon), moderate good for freestyle (a lot of novices).

North

Santacruz(waves)
Peniche(waves)
Lagoa de obidos (flat)
Aveiro (waves and flat)
Esposende (flat)
Viana (waves)

South

São torpes(waves)
Carrapateira(waves)
Portimão
Faro
Cabanas

For more detailed information check kitebeaches.com

Welcome :thumb:

3SK
Rare Poster
Local Beach: The world man!
Favorite Beaches: Woody's Point, Horroc Beach, Sharks Bay
Style: RADICAL
Gear: FUEL 4 LIFE
Brand Affiliation: Fuel, Ion, Crazy-Fly, Frostgun

Postby 3SK » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:25 am

Hey Dude. i'll be in Portugal from mid July to mid august. My girlfriend and me are renting a car in Faro and are returning it in Lisbon, and in the mean time traveling from south to north surfing on the way.
We found a need car on this side https://www.economycarrentals.com/ , but just google it and you would bee fine.
As for housing, we are both students and are therefore forced to sleep in a tent (economics you know).
Dunno how many surfers there are down there, but we might ran into each other. Since i am Danish, it should be too hard to spot each other out.

whiskas
Medium Poster
Style: Wake
Gear: LF Element with Escalade bindnings. Eh Wave 7, 11, 15

Postby whiskas » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:34 am

Hey thanks for all the tips. Good stuff! We´re all really stoked about the trip which I´m sure will be just amazing.

3SK. Jupp, we just might run into each other. Lookout for a minivan full of swedes.. :D When it comes to accomodation we haven´t really planned anything yet. Probably be sleeping sometimes in tents sometimes in cheap hotels/hostels.

So there are no kiting restrictions on the beaches mentioned? Nice!!

*Flyhigh*
Frequent Poster

Postby *Flyhigh* » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:54 am

whiskas wrote:So there are no kiting restrictions on the beaches mentioned? Nice!!
Hey!

Lagoa de obidos (flat) does have restrictions. Kitesurfing is banned at Lagoa de obidos during Summer.

At Costa (8km long) you should go to Nova Vaga since it's the only kitebeach. Avoid beaches with people bathing. We have 800km (?) of coast so you will find your own spot :thumb:

taabsr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North orbit

Postby taabsr » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:29 pm

Check out www.comekitewithus.com lot's of info, pictures and videos of the north spots.

If you need more info drop me a pm.

teletubby
Rare Poster

Postby teletubby » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:04 pm

Any information of Porto santo near madeira??

taabsr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North orbit

Postby taabsr » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:14 pm

I never kited there.

I've heard from friends that are from there that the usual wind is gusty as it crosses the island. And that there isn't much wind there. But since i never kited there i can't give you more precise details.

stunaite
Medium Poster

Postby stunaite » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:20 pm

Hi,

I f you are planning a kitetrip why don't you choose La Coruna/Finistere in Spain. It is plenty of close spots with different directions which means you always find a spot with a sideshore winds. Almost every places in Portugal are NW/W oriented and once wind blows almost always from NW at Summertime, you get too many days with onshore winds and unsorted waves. At Finistere you get easly sideoff conditions with hawain type waves. There is a river there where you can relax from waves riding on flatwater. The prices are lower than in Portugal as well. About thieves should be similar to Portugal -> A lot of imigrants without job. Sorry.

Have a good trip!

Return to “Kitesurfing”