Cabrinha Crossbow IDS

Forum for kitesurfers
IWB2
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS

Postby IWB2 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:42 pm

Kosh wrote:
paul m wrote:Go to www.thekitehouse.com you will see the link in the news section. I have shown some differnt angles and works of the system. I have been riding these for awhile and have alot of hours on the 9, 11, 13, and 16. Will answer any questions i can.
Great videos!
But, please compare the 1:1 system against 2:1 system regarding depower. I have always had 2:1 Cab. kites, and in the upper windrange, and when gusty, I push the bar out a lot to stay in control. With only two kites in my quiver (Switchblade 1 9m2 and a Contra 1 14m2, getting a Crossbow 08 9m2 in a few days), my concern is that the new 09 1:1 bar makes it more problematic to use the 09 kites in the upper windrange compared to with 2:1 kites since my arms must be stretched out a lot more. Can you give some information regarding if my concern is valid or not?

Also, have you tried the 09 13m2 and the Contra 14m2, if so, can you compare the two kites? According to Pete Cabrinha, the 13m2 09 replaces the 14m2 Contra....

Kosh,
The difference is really not a big issue between switching between the 2:1 to 1:1. Yes there is a slight advantage with the 2:1 as it has a shorter throw. If you are flying on the upper wind range and find you are pushing your bar passed the override collar, then try trimming the kite either with the knots on the kite, or with the red or black ball on the trim strap to get the bar custom tuned to your arm length and wind conditions. Also remember that riders of all shapes and sizes are riding Cabrinha, and the depower/throw is never an issue whether riding a 2:1 or 1:1.

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitezilla » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:44 pm

Paul M,

Beautiful job of illustrating the new IDS system.

What surprised me was the way the kite automatically flips over onto its leading edge bladder, after it lands in the typical fifth-line-like-controlled-smile-position. It may be that the position that the kite ends up in, as shown in the video, is a position, even more stable than the typical "smile" position that a kite, restrained by a fifth line, ends up in. The other nice feature, as illustrated in your video, is that during the final stages of the deep water self-rescue procedure, the kiter arrives at the center of the kite and not at a wing-tip.

The ultimate testimony to the safety of the system would be to illustrate the action of the system after the following typical situations have occurred:

(1) A wing-tip has tangled in the front bridle harness lines.
(2) 5 or 6 kite loops have occurred, before the safety system is deployed.
(3) Any one of the kite lines has broken.

It is a lot to ask, but how about 3 more videos?

You know that no good deed goes unpunished....and by making this excellent video, you qualify as having done a good deed.

Also, I would request that all of these videos be made in high wind situations. I know that's a lot to ask, but I would think that if such proof of the effectiveness of this system were presented to the kiteboarding public, then it would almost guarantee that this new control system would become the undisputed industry standard.

So far I am impressed with the functioning of the new IDS system, as presented on the video, and hope that future testing of the system does NOT reveal some flaw. Keep up the good work, Paul!
Last edited by kitezilla on Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 9m2
Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 13m2
Cabrinha Imperial 2008 128 board
Brand Affiliation: Promotes Cabrinha for the national distributor.

Postby Kosh » Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:48 pm

Yeah, I guess I am just a little worried without any reason, I just have a problem visualizing how 1:1 compared to 2:1 doesnt directly give double bar throw. I guess the reason I now bought a 08 model instead of waiting for the 09 is because we almost never has stable winds when using my 9m2, and I possibly wrongly feel that 2:1 suits better in a little gusty 14ms wind. The winds were I use my Contra 14m2 is usually a lot stable, so I thought switching to a 09 13m2 with 1:1 was a better choice this time.

Marc_87
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Slufter and Mirns
Style: Freeride/freestyle/oldskool
Gear: Powered by Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Marc_87 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:32 pm

Does someone know's that the stopperunit stil will be free placeble around the depower line?
I have placed the stopper of my 2007 bar 10 cm to the ckicken loop and I want to do that also
whit this bar if that is posseble.

pim
Medium Poster

Postby pim » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:11 pm

maybe i am missing something but i can not figure out if the system
is fully spinnable . does the safety line tangle around the depower line
after frond / back loops ?

srq kiter
Rare Poster

Postby srq kiter » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:14 am

While all of this "new" technology sounds great. Has anyone seen the pricelist of these suckers yet?? Just wondering if they have gotten more realistic with their prices yet??

moon waxing
Rare Poster

Postby moon waxing » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:36 am

I think I'd try and still land the kite in the conventional manner when possible (user assited or park the kite on edge of window pull on upper front line).

Even with the reinforced construction how long would it take for something to brake if you continually land the kite using the 2nd stage absoulute depower?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:10 am

Kosh wrote:
ronnie wrote: Have the wind charts for the previous Xbow and Contra been changed? The Xbow4 windrange seems to have extended in comparison. I hope they finally settle on the new way of showing the range and use it for all future kites.
I dont see any difference between the 9m2 08 and 09 model, but Cabrinha has changed the original wind range chart, the original can be seen below:

http://www.mackiteboarding.com/images/k ... ow3_wr.gif
Thanks Kosh. The windranges shown on those charts are greater than those now shown on the Cabrinha site, which would make people think that the new kites were better for windrange than the previous models, if you compare what is shown on the Cabrinha site. Suspicious? The 16m Xbow4 is closer to the 14m Contra than the 13m Xbow4 is, according to those charts.

This is an update.
I took the charts for my kites and the IDS Crossbow and lined them up.
Attachments
windcharts.jpg
Last edited by ronnie on Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 9m2
Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 13m2
Cabrinha Imperial 2008 128 board
Brand Affiliation: Promotes Cabrinha for the national distributor.

Postby Kosh » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:19 am

Hmm..true....very suspicious indeed. And Cabrinha claimes the 13m2 is made to replace the 14m2 Contra, while the 16m2 should replace the 17m2.....

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:20 am

Kosh wrote:Yeah, I guess I am just a little worried without any reason, I just have a problem visualizing how 1:1 compared to 2:1 doesnt directly give double bar throw. I guess the reason I now bought a 08 model instead of waiting for the 09 is because we almost never has stable winds when using my 9m2, and I possibly wrongly feel that 2:1 suits better in a little gusty 14ms wind. The winds were I use my Contra 14m2 is usually a lot stable, so I thought switching to a 09 13m2 with 1:1 was a better choice this time.
Hi Kosh,
I have the Omega 9m and when changing to 1:1 on the bar, there are a few changes on the bridle too, which reduce the throw needed. It does give a longer movement of the bar, but still reachable. With 2:1, I can both oversheet and undersheet, even on the 14m Contra, so it has more bar range than necessary. The bigger the kite the bigger the bar throw, so I still think 2:1 can be useful for big kites.

Return to “Kitesurfing”