Forum for kitesurfers
Daisygold
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Airush 2009?

Postby Daisygold » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:54 am

The Vapours performance was amazing but I had serious problems with the build quality and warranty issues that were ignored by the importer forcing me to choose another brand.
A real shame as the Vapour is an awsome kite... :(

20 m or bust
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dalrock, Ray Roberts
Favorite Beaches: Mustang Island, Stink Beach
Style: Free ride
Gear: Waroos
Stretch board

Postby 20 m or bust » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:20 pm

I went to AR website to check these kites out. I rode an AR lift early in my kiting and loved it. I was surprised to c that they had a different bar for every kite now. Is that unusual to have a specific bar for each kite model? I know Best is not like that, r others?

wave***
Medium Poster

Postby wave*** » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:33 pm

If a manufacturer only makes one style of kite, then it's easy to have one bar fly all of the kite models. Airush produces several widely varying kites - the DNA Flow are SLE/bow-style kites, the Vapor II is a five line "flat c-kite" and the Generator is an old school C-kite that can be flow either in either 4 or 5 line mode.

The DNA and the Flow can be flown with the same bar, and I'd guess the Vapor and the Generator could probably use the same bar, too, as long as you're flying the Generator in 5 line version. I'm not sure if the 5th line would need to be adjusted between the 2 kites, though.

I'm not sure why it's such a big deal that there are different bars for different kite models. If you're riding a Flow, you're probably going to have a quiver of them, so one bar is all you need. And if you're in the Generator death cult, you're sure as hell not going to have a bow-style kite anywhere near you!

Airush started life making bomb-proof and safe bars back when most manufacturers were selling kites with a broomstick as a control bar. Anyone remember the AR 5 and Wipika bars? It's a wonder anyone survived! I retrofitted all of my kites with Airush bars from 2000 through to about 2005. I recently switched to a quiver of Airush kites, and the current bars are fantastic.

blowhard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby blowhard » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:39 pm

I looking for a "C" type for hooked/unhooked wave riding where
I need to get back to windward in some current.
All types of waves mostly fast peeling.

Will this kite get me back to windward
and not be too big down the line ?
I turn the kite every time I turn the board

The description that SWK gives sounds like a great wave kite
my bridle kites are just too much trouble for waves (always looking for better trim)

20 m or bust
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dalrock, Ray Roberts
Favorite Beaches: Mustang Island, Stink Beach
Style: Free ride
Gear: Waroos
Stretch board

Postby 20 m or bust » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:29 pm

Really not a big deal on the different bars, just curiosity more than anything else.

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:01 pm

blowhard, you should try the generators if you can find one. They are super responsive compared to any bridled kite. With the Generators you won't have any of the kite debt issues that unhooking the "new" style kites give you and you won't have slack lines and slow turns. They also won't overfly you. The only thing is they may not be grunty enough if you like to be pulled hard through every turn. Maybe a kite that sits further back like the fuel would offer more pull. Generators allow you to just unhook and surf normally with precise steering and crisp line tension but little pull. It just depends on how much power you want the kite to deliver in each turn. Generators fly forward so they get you upwind but they don't pull hard if that makes any sense.

Katana
Rare Poster

Postby Katana » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:10 pm

Daisygold wrote:The Vapours performance was amazing but I had serious problems with the build quality and warranty issues that were ignored by the importer forcing me to choose another brand.
A real shame as the Vapour is an awsome kite... :(
What problems did you get with the Vapor and was it the Vapor I or II??

I am looking at a quiver of these and would be interested to know about their build quality!!

Thanks

blowhard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby blowhard » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:01 pm

SWK,thanks
I like the fuels
but look for something to go windward
with some juice
and still keep a small fast turning kite

Daisygold
Rare Poster

Postby Daisygold » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:37 pm

Katana,
I had a Vapour I and the problems are canopy splits from the leading edge back that occur through no apparent impact or damage. The fact that they occur in the same place on both sides of the kite suggested that there may have been a weakness or error in the construction of that particular kite. These splits started within the first two months that I had the kite.
The bar has been perfect and the performance of the Vapour is sensational in all aspects. I absolutely love this kite but I don't like sitting on the beach watching everyone else because my kite has ripped again! .
It is this lack of quality in my particular kite which has stopped me buying the same kite again.
I probably just got a dud which happens from time to time but the fact that the importer dismissed my concerns without giving them due regard was not acceptable. If they had been a little more receptive I would have bought a Vapour II and now I'd be waiting for a Vapour III and not another Switchblade.
If you what a brilliant kite get a Vapour but don't buy mine second hand, actually, it has deteriorated to such a point that I couldn't sell it anyway.

lesbian horse
Very Frequent Poster

Postby lesbian horse » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:53 am

no new model of water kites, but they have been worked on heavily.

Boards completely re worked.

I hear there is a board that is an almost replica of hadlows board (colin mculoch design)

Return to “Kitesurfing”