Forum for kitesurfers
sodman
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bladder Burst

Postby sodman » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:21 pm

I just repaired a leaky valve on the 3rd strut in on my 2006 Caution Answer. I was pumping it up today when the bladder ruptured.

My question is this.

-Any damage to my kite if I fly it without the bladder for a day?
-Can I repair this damage temporarily with stuff I can get at the store? Closest kite store is a 45 min drive.
-Should I order a repair kit and wait it out?

I'm thinking I could try to repair the bladder by gluing a bladder material to it that came with the kite. (what glue I do not know)
If this works, great. If not I have to buy a new bladder and new valve seal kit. (I am guessing little less than 50 dollars)

I would really appreciate anyones advice.
Attachments
Picture 001.jpg

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Bladder Burst

Postby JGTR » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:23 pm

Tie a knot in it and stick it back in :?: ......order a new one aswell but it should get you thru till the new one arrives

sprockett
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ruakaka Beach, One tree point,......
Favorite Beaches: Boracay, Philippines
Gear: Nobile, Flexifoil, Sprockett Boards
Brand Affiliation: Sprockett Boards (owner)

Postby sprockett » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:01 pm

The kite will fly with th bladder missing. But it will fly like a Pig and probably not turn very fast.

To repair the bladder find someone (maybe a candy shop) with an Impulse sealer (bag sealer) or an iron and a pencil(put the pencil under the bladder where you want to seal it with some paper on top of the bladder then iron it until sealed (test first on the damaged piece)) and seal it just above the tear. Bladders are usually a few inches longer than needed (built in margin for error) and shortning it 2 inches should not be a problem.

When you re-install the bladder, pump it up gradually and make sure it entends to the end of the strut (both ends) and their are no folds or twists(probabaly what caused the damage) before pumping it hard.

Bill
Frequent Poster

Postby Bill » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:17 pm

Ive had exactly the same sort of bladder problem whilst on holiday - center strut. Hardly noticed any difference flying without bladder. When I got home reparied it - see excellent article:

http://www.kitesurfingschool.org/bladderrepair.htm

Good luck!

sodman
Rare Poster

Postby sodman » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:48 am

I might try to ironing in the future, It seems like a good idea.

This time I actually used a pool repair kit. I will post and show my results tomorrow, with hopefully good news.

Return to “Kitesurfing”