JFB
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fixing a broken strap insert?

Postby JFB » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:17 pm

Used epoxy, the strap held up for half an hour and came out again, I guess it needs a porfessional work to be done.... any suggestions?

tungsten222
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tungsten222 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:38 pm

bis repetita non placent.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

JFB
Frequent Poster

Postby JFB » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:50 am

[quote="tungsten222"]I'd use different inserts made for this purpose, with a bigger surface, properly epoxy'd in, mix resin with chopped glass, cover with glass... should do the job. I've never seen your type of "inserts" used in a board to be honest. Would not call them inserts at all. Check here for better product:

http://www.anchorinserts.co.uk/
http://www.yardleyproducts.com/

They provide you with free samples usually...

Thanks,
These look like they might work, you are right, the one on my board doesn't look like they are built for that pourpuse, I will try to find some locally, if these do not work I am sending the board to be done by a professional abroad cause we don't have board shapers around.
thanks again.

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:46 pm

What kind of epoxy did you use? That tube stuff is crap, you have to use a real liquid epoxy resin. I build boards for myself and a few friends, and I have to say I've never seen "inserts" like that. Those are a joke! (what kind of board?) If you have another board to ride for a while and can wait, go order some real inserts from www.snowboardmaterials.com (look under the kiteboard parts section). Those inserts come with a thin cover over top to keep the resin out, have a closed bottom, and a wide base. The normal procedure is to put them in with resin and some chopped glass or filler in the resin, then they get glassed over and then drilled out with a countersink bit.

If you do try to do another fix yourself, you might pack those crappy "inserts" with playdough to keep out the resin, and after gluing them in with real resin, glass over top with a couple patches a couple inches in diameter. Make sure you sand the area where you will be glassing over with some coarse sandpaper to improve the bond. Most of the ugly repair should remain inder the strap.

Peter

raoul
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, Long Beach CA
Huntington Beach, CA
Sunset Beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: Zichron + Kinneret, Israel
Quaipe, Brazil
Paros, Greece
Style: Free Style
Gear: Board: Underground
Kite: Naish Torch, Fone Tribal, Blade Trigger

Postby raoul » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:13 pm

Peter,
I have the same problem as JFB.
I spoke to the board manufacturer and he sent me inserts like you describe "with a thin cover over top to keep the resin out, have a closed bottom, and a wide base" - I will try post a picture tomorrow.
The insert that JBF pictured here is the same insert but what happened is that the wide base broke off from the rest of the insert and that’s why it came out.

My question is: How do I fix my problem (which is exactly like JBF's photo), I need to make a huge hole the size of the wide base, then put the insert in with base then fill with resin and some chopped glass or filler in the resin, and then glassed over and then drilled out with a countersink bit.
The thing is that I am scared that making that big hole for the insert base will weaken the boards and more over weaken the other inserts close to the one I’m fixing (they are 2 cm apart I think).

What do you think?

Bigdog
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Style: Old and grey surfer dude style
Gear: Core xr5 and windego boards

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:36 pm

Those inserts are crap.
You need a wider base for sure. I use stainless ones from snowboardmaterials.com and another good brand is camaxtool.com.

Making a well a little bigger than you insert will spread the bonding surface and help a situation like this. Mix some copped glass up with the epoxy and it should never come apart again. The other original proably will though. What brand board is that?

Stan

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster

Postby foam-n-fibre » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:42 pm

When I and many other board builders use these inserts we just make a big hole, bit enough for the base, and fill in around it. In the days of windsurfer construction we would bever do that, but there's no problem with doing that on a kiteboard. Attached is a picture, if I've done this right. The coin for refernce is a canadian penny, same size as a US penny. If I knew I was taking this picture last year for an international audience I guess I could have chosen some other scale!
7.5mm inserts.jpg
snowboardmaterials.com insert
If you route out foam, and replace it with resin and filler, you will add a harder stronger spot to your core than the foam you remove. If the board did fail in this area, it would be if the skin was peeled up when the insert came out, not due to a hard spot in the foam.

Do you have an old base of the old insert still in the board? That might be the biggest problem if you have to get thet out.

Peter

JFB
Frequent Poster

Postby JFB » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:06 pm

Peter
So my inserts have a base that is still in the board! I thought I seen something metallic there but I did not know it was attached to the part that came out, this makes more sense to me now, and more complications :) . I used tube Epoxy, I thought it was crap but I don't have access to real liquid epoxy. I'll wait for Raoul to fix his board and see the proceedure he used maybe then I'll try to do mine. :wink:

raoul
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, Long Beach CA
Huntington Beach, CA
Sunset Beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: Zichron + Kinneret, Israel
Quaipe, Brazil
Paros, Greece
Style: Free Style
Gear: Board: Underground
Kite: Naish Torch, Fone Tribal, Blade Trigger

Postby raoul » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:17 pm

Peter,
My insert is exactly like JFB's insert that came out. I presume he's insert also broke off the wide base which now remains in the board. I understand why you say that this is a problem - because when I will put the new insert in it will sit a bit higher then the original insert since it will sit above the base which was left in the board.
* Well first of all - why can't I/JFB drill out the old base and then put in the new insert.

* Now in my case - I am a bit lucky since the new insert which was sent to me is about 1.5 mm thinner (less deep) because it is the insert which was used a year later then my board - and those boards are thinner. So I guess I could simply drill out a hole in the diameter of the wide base of the new insert and glue it in above the old base which is still in the board (the wide base is about 1 mm thick).

Questions:
- Do you understand me and agree with me?
- I am scared that by drilling out a 2.5 cm diameter hole I will weaken the connections of the adjacent inserts + weaken that area of the board since I will be drilling out fiberglass layers. Do you think I shouldn’t worry, and that by adding 2 layers of fiberglass on top after I sink in the new insert I will gain back enough strength to the area?

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster

Postby foam-n-fibre » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:21 pm

With a little luck you've never been happy with the strap placement and would like to put a new insert in right near (next to) the old one. Pulling the insert apart must take some doing. I suspect it was not put together well, and maybe heavy tightening of a bottomed out out screw helped to force it apart. Don't over tighten and bottom out the other inserts in that board. The picture I posted is what some of us home builders use, but I'm not sure what all the different manufacturers are using. Someone who does professional board repair in a busy area with lots of different types of board might have seen more types and have more to add to this.

Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”