Local Beach: Belmont Shores
Favorite Beaches: None yet.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Liquid Force Trip for Kiteboarding?

Postby LFtrip » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:57 am

Hi all,
After 6 years of watching this sport grow I have decided to try it. I already know I will love it just because I love wakeboarding and kiteboarding makes wakeboarding look like nothing. I am planning on taking lessons first but when it comes to the gear I have a couple questions. I like what everyone has been saying about the new Naish sigma series. The cult seems like it would be a good beginner kite? I live in Los Angeles and the wind is usually between 10 - 20 mph. Would I go with the 13.5? Also, because I am strapped for cash I do have an old Liquid Force Ultra Core Trip 138 (its made from 100% balsa wood so it is very light). If I put bigger fins on the nose and tail would this work good as a kiteboard? I remember watching Lou Wainmann tear it up on an old trip back in the day. Your answers would be greatly appreciated.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Liquid Force Trip for Kiteboarding?

Postby Toby » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:15 pm

I think the kite will be fine for you. I assume you are not too light in weight?

Lessons are a must, maybe decide after the lessons which size you want to go for, because then you will have more knowledge to judge it right.

You should use a board with bindings in the beginning, too dangerous. Once you have a good kite control, you can consider it.

But you can use your wakeboard, but put straps on it. The only problem with wakeboards is, that they are not made to go upwind...so a real kiteboard will be easier to go upwind with...and specially in the beginning this is needed.

There should be many used boards for not so much money...rather get one of those and then sell it afterwards, with little loss (or maybe none).

But with kites and specially the bars and their quick releases it is something you shouldn't be saving on, but the Naish bar coming with the Cult will be good.

Enjoy!

Greets
Toby

dannyalvarez
Frequent Poster

Postby dannyalvarez » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:34 pm

I agree lesson will get you up and runnin in no time ,if you go for the naish cult you into treat their system are top notch as for the board like Toby said they will work but you will have tons of trouble especially if youre going to learn to go upwind it will be faster and easier in a learnin big twintip but surely you will have a blast learning at least I did

Danny

kitesurfrabbi
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesurfrabbi » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:41 pm

the trip is one of the few wakeboards that will work. if yours doesnt have the molded in fins like the current models its even easier to use. just make sure you don't have those curled sidefins on ;-)

and as soon as you can stay upwind you can switch to bindings. you will feel home immediately.
i did it 10 years ago with shitty equipment. with nowadays kites its easy...

LFtrip
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shores
Favorite Beaches: None yet.

Postby LFtrip » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:47 am

Thanks for your opinions guys. I'll probably end up buying a board too but I will definatly want to give my trip a try. It doesn't have a whole lot of rocker. It has a super thin profile and yes it is the older model with the screw on side fins so I would probably put bigger fins on it. As for the Naish Cult, does anybody have an opinion on the new sigma shape? Will it work in light wind situations? Is it a good beginner kite that I will be able to use as I progress to intermediate and dare I say advanced? The wind in LA tends to be on the light side so I will need a good light wind kite. I like the sigma shape. It sounds like it works well and the kite is pretty cool looking too. I also understand that I will probably want some kind of quiver ( a small kite and a big kite ) but I can only afford to start with one. Next year I can look into buying another.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:31 am

LFtrip wrote:Hi all,
After 6 years of watching this sport grow I have decided to try it. I already know I will love it just because I love wakeboarding and kiteboarding makes wakeboarding look like nothing. I am planning on taking lessons first but when it comes to the gear I have a couple questions. I like what everyone has been saying about the new Naish sigma series. The cult seems like it would be a good beginner kite? I live in Los Angeles and the wind is usually between 10 - 20 mph. Would I go with the 13.5? Also, because I am strapped for cash I do have an old Liquid Force Ultra Core Trip 138 (its made from 100% balsa wood so it is very light). If I put bigger fins on the nose and tail would this work good as a kiteboard? I remember watching Lou Wainmann tear it up on an old trip back in the day. Your answers would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,

It was a very similar situation here.
We have a cableski park in front of my town and that's where I spent most days of the week wakeboarding (doing tricks on kickers, sliders etc).
The only reason I started wakeboarding was to get used to the board to make it easier learing kiteboarding (which is pretty big in my area). It took 2 years wakeboarding to finally make it to kiteboarding...haha
I went to El Yaque in Venezuela for holiday in Feb this year, took lessons and now I'm addicted to both (kite- and wakeboarding). It is essential to take lessons in kiteboarding and it took me a short while to get used to the kite. The board was no problem. When I came back from holiday people here (kiteboarders) couldn't believe I just started with kiteboarding. :wink:
On the way back from VEN I stopped in MIA where I bought 2 kites (a 9m and a 12m CB3 which I sold now because of 3 new SB's), and here in Downunder I bought the kiteboard (LF Recoil Comp). I own 2 wakeboards but I wouldn't advise to go kiting with them (especially not as a newby!).
Unfortunately 4 weeks ago I broke my femur when I hit deep water too hard after a nice jump. The ct scan below tells the story I guess.
Anyway I'm sure you'll have fun and will get addicted (as everybody else). Just take it easy especially when you are in the mid 40's as I am.
See you out there soon!

Cheers mate
Attachments
scan0.jpg
scan0.jpg (31.08 KiB) Viewed 2049 times

finalsound
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island GA, Mud Lake ID

Postby finalsound » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:09 am

dang man! that ct scan is crazy, I hope your leg heals quick. I have to say though, I'm far more worried about your crotch. that black square must be really uncomfortable. was that a result of your wreck too? jk.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:13 am

finalsound wrote:I have to say though, I'm far more worried about your crotch. that black square must be really uncomfortable. was that a result of your wreck too? jk.
Nah, I put the black square on top of my willy (not to make you guys jeallous). :wink:

Bozo
Medium Poster

Postby Bozo » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:37 am

dude, you had two choices, you chose the unfunny one. :cool2:
Attachments
scan0.jpg
scan0.jpg (19.44 KiB) Viewed 2002 times

midal03
Medium Poster