Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

first kite for 8 year old: Ozone Light or Waroo 3/5 m?

Forum for kitesurfers
Waldo
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

first kite for 8 year old: Ozone Light or Waroo 3/5 m?

Postby Waldo » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:11 pm

My son is ready to go in the water. He can probably use my old Xbow 7 m but I also want kites for a bit more wind, when the 7 m will be too big. He weighs 39 kilos, is it worth buying a 3 m or just a 5 m?
I'm hesitating between Ozone Light 3+5 m (his power kite is Ozone) and a Waroo 3+5. The latter being probably more like the Xbow. Alternatively a Switchblade 4 m, but I think this Cabrinha will cost me the equivalent of 2 Ozones or Best with 1 bar. Any advice? Leaving on Summer holiday this WE, so the Switchblade ISD will not be there in time and can be excluded. Or is already for sale somewhere?
tia,
Waldo

steveb
Frequent Poster

Re: first kite for 8 year old: Ozone Light or Waroo 3/5 m?

Postby steveb » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:44 pm

Whats really nice with the Ozones is they were designed as school kites, so the 3 and 5 are slowed down in their steering response, I'd guess the 5 turns like a regular 9m. So it's not super twitchy.Very stable and unlikely to misbehave in the air .
I don't have experience with other small kites so I can't help, but nothing wrong with the lites.
I ride for Ozone just so you know.
Very cool that your sons getting into the sport so young, I hope you have a great time teaching him.I'm jealous of the fun you'll have.

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:59 pm

Did you catch this recent thread?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2350152

How much has he flown a trainer?

Peter

Waldo
Medium Poster

Postby Waldo » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:37 pm

Hi Peter,
Yes, I saw the other thread. Interesting. He has been flying the trainer for some 30 hours and feels very comfortable with it. I won't just give him a board but will go with him in the water to practice bodydragging first. Then we'll try with the skimboard.
Walter

Waldo
Medium Poster

Postby Waldo » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:41 pm

Thanks for the info, Steve. My shop suggested the Waroo as the Ozone -quote- "does not offer 100% depower - Best is more like a Cab with no stopper" -end depower-. I'll go to the shop to check. I associate Ozone with top notch quality, but I remember a friend who flies Ozone also said depower is their weak(est) point. What's your opinion? I think depower and relaunch are the 2 key factors for learning.

YngvaiMalmsteve
Medium Poster

Postby YngvaiMalmsteve » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:25 pm

Waldo wrote:Thanks for the info, Steve. My shop suggested the Waroo as the Ozone -quote- "does not offer 100% depower - Best is more like a Cab with no stopper" -end depower-. I'll go to the shop to check. I associate Ozone with top notch quality, but I remember a friend who flies Ozone also said depower is their weak(est) point. What's your opinion? I think depower and relaunch are the 2 key factors for learning.
Well, I don't think there's a such thing as 100% depower for any kite. That said....

I've flown the 2007 9 meter Ozone Instinct Light and I can say it depowers quite well. It has very "on/off" style depower, so you can shut it off quickly. Depower is even better on the '08's with the new wing tip shapes.

lucie
Frequent Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: Airush Diamond kites and Airush Diamond board.

Postby lucie » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:33 pm

I have flown the 9m Light and have a quiver of 07 Waroos. I am sorry to say I didn't like the Light. I found the bar pressure too light, I felt like I never knew where the kite was. For this reason I would say go with Waroos.

Other reason for going with Waroos - the separate straps for power and depower. I worry that for an 8 year old it would be too easy to release the power rope from the clam cleat on the Ozone and for him to accidentally power the kite right up. He couldn't do this with the Waroo accidentally. Its easy for him to remember red handle for less power. Plus the 4 line Waroo has to be easier for him to rig up than the 5 line Ozone with that anti-invert line running across the kite. I know you will check it before he launches, but if you have to keep correcting him he will be less motivated and stoked than if he gets it right himself all the time.

This is based on my experience with last years Light. If the Light II overcomes these concerns, then fair enough. One thing in favour of Ozone - the QR looks much better than last years, and better than Best's.

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:36 pm

depends on which year kites you are looking for

If we are talking about 08 gear then both kites are fine ....I prefer Ozones cause it´s almost impossible to invert them ( some people like some other not : the anti invert lines from Ozone ) but we have tested several times and it really works well ,also no matter what you do with the Lights the relaunch is far easier comparing to the Waroos .

Several kite schools in Tarifa adopted Ozone lights for teaching ( and they don´t even sell them ) because they work specially well for kids and newbies.

Hope this helps

Saludos

Rustas
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Salinelle, Capo Feto, Puzziteddu, Lo Stagnone, Agrigento
Favorite Beaches: Sicilia, Brasil, Venezuela
Style: ...trying to get one...
Gear: Torch 9, 10 and 12. Naish Sol, Aboards Z-series.
Brand Affiliation: I do believe in clean underwear.

Postby Rustas » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:56 pm

I have a girlfriend, 167 cm and 55 kilos of muscles... I have had to modify some bars for her.
Think about that when picking a kite for your little ones...
Get a simple RED-BLACK and check the reach. Have fun!

DART VADER
Medium Poster
Gear: Tube, Foil
Brand Affiliation: Sportime Family

Postby DART VADER » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:41 pm

ADVANCE Kaiman 4.8 why not?
:thumb: :bye:

Return to “Kitesurfing”