Greatstone Kent
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne Mauritius
Nyali Kenya
Style: Freeriding Ariel Lawnmower
Gear: Core
Brand Affiliation: Core & Sabfoil Distributor

Fuel Rider Discussion: 2009 available only in 4 Line

Postby GraemeF » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:55 pm

O.K. So the title says it all, not that I fly Fuels much these days, but I did get chance to use an 11 2009 last month in Garda in not a lot of wind, sufficient to get the feel that the low end is restored.

However that's not what I'm fishing for.

Slingshot have taken the decision to return to four line, using the CSS system from the Rev, but routed to one leading edge line for flare out safety.

I'm interested to guage response.

Personally here in the UK we still have a strong five line Fuel following, it helps in self land scenarios, relaunches etc

Their opinion, (Slingshot) if you're not hard core enough to fly 4-line old style you should be on a Rev in any event, and the Rev2 now suitably emulates the old Fuel. Naturally I cant agree since the Rev 2 hasn't really been around long enough, but then what do I know, so whatever, what do the rest of you Fuel guys think.

And hey lets keep this grown up shall we, we're not interested in Bestbollox or any other lame brand pimps, if you haven't cut it on 4 line in the first place there really is no point in entering the discussion thanks all the same.

Regards to all.

pilookite
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fuel Rider Discussion: 2009 available only in 4 Line

Postby pilookite » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:12 pm

It must be a strategic choice!

Personaly, I would not mind flying my Hadlow Pro and Fusion's on the same system than the rev...
However, I appreciate that the 5th line is really usefull to relaunch and to maintain the kite shape in the uper wind range...

Relaunch is getting easier every year, but I get more experience after all those years though.

Quiet a complex issue there...

GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Hythe Kent.
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Nyali Kenya

Postby GraemeF » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:19 pm

Oh I nearly forgot

No chance to use an old five line bar either, the fifth line tab has been removed.

GraemeF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 70kg
Local Beach: Hythe Kent.
Dymchurch Kent
Greatstone Kent
Nyali Kenya

Postby GraemeF » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:26 pm

pilookite wrote:It must be a strategic choice!

Personaly, I would not mind flying my Hadlow Pro and Fusion's on the same system than the rev...
However, I appreciate that the 5th line is really usefull to relaunch and to maintain the kite shape in the uper wind range...

Relaunch is getting easier every year, but I get more experience after all those years though.

Quiet a complex issue there...
Have you ever flown a Fuel?

Have you ever flown 4 Line?

You are flying a Flexi foil, I'm asking opinions from Fuel riders thanks all the same go and join all the other girls in the Hadlow self help group, you'll find them messing about in the shallows, way down wind, sewing their drag arsed wetsuits back together..

merloplano
Rare Poster

Postby merloplano » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:05 pm

graemef, i've flown 2002-2003-2004 fuel. all 4 lines, safety on the back lines (!). after the valve affair i went for other brands.

to me, the 5th gives you more hooked range. if you unhook often, you don't really need it.
if you are able to relaunch a 4 lines kite, you don't need it.
if you have a proper front line safety, you can survive with 4 lines.

you are marketing a specialized kite, you don't need the 5th line: people will add one size to the quiver. just be sure the leash is strong enough!

btw, it looks similar (strut position) to the hadlow pro

LaurensNL
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby LaurensNL » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:24 pm

Well I flyy the 2007 and 2008 fuels.

The last 8 months I fly my fuels on 4 lines with shorter lines. I think the fuel performs beter with shorter lines, although you may lose some bottem end.

Since I'm kinda used of the fuel on 4 lines, I don't really miss the 5th line. You can relaunch kite by pulling onto one of the steering lines. Self launching can be done the same way.

The only moments you want a 5th is when you want to self land (although I do this myself sometimes by just 'gently' crashing the kite and then pull one powerline). And when the wind is very very gusty (like 15 knots to 40 knots)...

xspataro
Frequent Poster

Postby xspataro » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:06 pm

i use a 4 lines setup on my fuel, always.
tried 5 lines a couple of times. didnt kill me, too much stuff going on.

not sure how the market will react to this. pretty sure fuel riders will stick with the fuel anyways.
i wouldnt use the 5th line in the 09, even if available

enjoy

arno35
Rare Poster

Postby arno35 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:28 pm

I hope they can just let the attachment point so we can use one if we want...

xray
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
Style: Freeride/wave
Gear: Pivot 5-8

Postby xray » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:35 pm

Actually I think the rider should decide about the options. The kites are made for them, not for Slingshot IMO.

I've ridden a lot of kites, 4 lines, 5 lines, SLE's, Bow's, Flat kites, Hybrids, whatever you can call them. Last year I had a hairy situation in an overpowered situation on a so called Hybrid. There was no way for me to control the power whereas on a 5th you always have the option of pulling that line.

Recently I had a slowly deflating, as it turned out later, 5th line C kite in winds up to 8 bft in a rough sea. After a huge boost the kite went instable and started to spin ferociously. I pulled the safety as soon as I could. The kite flared out on the 5th and hovered several meters above the water out of reach of the waves. At this moment the use of a good 5th line system was obvious for me.

My preference is a fast and direct steering kite. The Fuel is a viable option for me but I for sure would like to have the 5th. Again, I would like to make the decision myself and not have it made for me by Slingshot...

merloplano
Rare Poster

Postby merloplano » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:50 pm

arno35 wrote:I hope they can just let the attachment point so we can use one if we want...
if 5th is for safety only, the one pump attachment will do for it. unless ss wants to ditch it too..

Return to “Kitesurfing”