Forum for kitesurfers
Innis
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Best introduces the 2009 Nemesis HP

Postby Innis » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:15 pm

munteruk wrote:This looks like more of the same bullshit marketing that Best are famous for. A new gimmick to help pump sales of the new season kites.

What point is leading edge twist if the canopy is still hanging in one piece off the back of it? without a split in the canopy how is the leading edge going to rotate? Flaps on a plane can sit at different angles because they aren't continuous. How can this work on a kite canopy?

Has best actually measured the "twist" occurring at the joints? Where is the demonstration that the joints do anything other than generate hype?
Though I agree that at one point Best were the kings of the marketing BS, almost every kite company puts out loads of it now. Read a bunch of company rider's comments about one of the products they use and you'll see. They all start to sound the same after a while. It's very tough to sift through all the BS to get good information and the kite companies like to keep it that way.

TwistTech sure seems like a gimick to me, but I don't want to be like those closed minded people who wouldn't believe that the earth is round or that the sun is the center of our planetary system. I'll keep my mind open and see if it sticks, but for now it's just annother new idea like all the others that are out there right now (e.g. Sigma, V-Sonic, Batwing, Venturi, etc.).

extremecontrol
Medium Poster

Postby extremecontrol » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:31 pm

hi guy did you ride one of the nemesis 08/ 09......... ????? I did I flow many kite due aI have a school in Tulum Mexico and I have many people with many different kites, and I can tell you there is a difference !!!

any way If you go in a place where there are 100s of kite in the water ...if you will talk with the kiters all of them will be happy of his kite...doesn't mater the brands.

so is trow that is all about marketing but the 09 HP fly faster and turning faster too.guarantee

--
Marco Cristofanelli
IKO Instructor level 2 Senior
www.extremecontrol.net
www.uolisnah.com
info@extremecontrol.net
Mex. Cel. 52 1 984 74 54555

extremecontrol
Medium Poster

Postby extremecontrol » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:35 pm

hi guy did you ride one of the nemesis 08/ 09......... ????? I did I flow many kite due aI have a school in Tulum Mexico and I have many people with many different kites, and I can tell you there is a difference !!!

any way If you go in a place where there are 100s of kite in the water ...if you will talk with the kiters all of them will be happy of his kite...doesn't mater the brands.

so is trow that is all about marketing but the 09 HP fly faster and turning faster too.guarantee

--
Marco Cristofanelli
www.extremecontrol.net
www.uolisnah.com
info@extremecontrol.net

extremecontrol
Medium Poster

Postby extremecontrol » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:37 pm

--
Marco Cristofanelli
www.extremecontrol.net
www.uolisnah.com
info@extremecontrol.net

2talented
Frequent Poster

Postby 2talented » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:47 pm

I cant comment on the 09 nemi, but I flew the 08 a few times this year. The only complaint that I ever had about the Nemi hp was a bit of turn in delay. When you pulled the bar the kite hesitated for a split second, but then it was really fast through the window. That is why you will hear first time owners say the kite jumps great, but it takes some practice to get your timing right.

I think its because of the stiff LE. a normal dacron kite has a bit of normal flex because of the cloth. The Cuben fiber probably doesnt. They probably knew this when they released the 08 and most likely had the 09 almost ready for production to "fix"/ "improve" the turn in response.

Hey its a learning curve with new materials and it seems everyone who owns a Nemi HP likes them.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:46 pm

2talented, you're right on the money there.

All designers are constantly learning, especially those guys who try to add something new year in year out. Sometimes you come up with something great, sometimes you don't, but not trying gets you nowhere.

The more designers push the limits of what's possible the better. if you look at what we ride now compared to what was available ten years ago there hasn't been a huge amount of change, the devil is in the detail, not the broad strokes.

munteruk
Frequent Poster

Postby munteruk » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:19 pm

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against progress and development but it should be based on measurement and fact, not marketing. Where is there any sign of measurement or fact in the Best material? Nowhere. They've released a "whitepaper" to try to build some kind of technical credibility but its just marketing masquerading as technical information. Nowhere is there any measurement, or real analysis. For example - where is the Best analysis that demonstrates that the twist points are more effective than a more flexible cloth on the leading edge? Or the impact of inflation pressure on "difficulty" of twist? Where is the demonstration that any additional twist actually occurs - some kind of measured force required to twist a kite with and without the joints? None of it is there. Completely devoid of factual information.

I agree a lot of kite companies do this and until they are questioned by customers they will continue to pump out fads and marketing gimmicks until people actually stop, think about it and ask them to justify the claims being made. There just isn't any substance to Best's claims. Why put up with it?

The flat-earthers ignored the evidence. I'm encouraging you to do the opposite and investigate it properly.

Jorrit p
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Scheveningen and the Slufter in The Netherlands
Style: free-style, wave-ride, big air
Gear: Best Nemesis HP 2009 10m, Best Waroo 2008 7m
Brand Affiliation: Best

Postby Jorrit p » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:30 pm

I have the BEST Nemesis HP 2009 10m and twister tech really helps the kite a lot! No doupt about it! As far as I can feel there is not so much of a delay anymore if you try to turn the kite.

I'm more happy about this kite then any other I have ever had fly!!

Talking about marketing: Almost every brand now is coming up with lots of promotion video's, new website every year, new systems. Not only Best.

NP 2009 is a wonderful kite! I don't need to see this proof that twister tech really works. I have tested this kite my self so I know so!!

rockinrider
Rare Poster

Postby rockinrider » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:56 pm

Marco--

Give it a rest. I was there during the Best meeting in Cabarete and my friends and myself rode the kite. Their is nothing revolutionary about it and it turns like a tank. Even Shannon Best went back to the Waroo because this kite was basically designed for Alex Shogren. All it does is jump big -- that is it. It sucks for wave riding and freestyle so save your BS. You could always trade your kiteboard in and put on a cheerleading skirt and buy some Pom Poms. You could be the official Best Cheerleader.

Rock'in

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:55 pm

2talented wrote:I cant comment on the 09 nemi, but I flew the 08 a few times this year. The only complaint that I ever had about the Nemi hp was a bit of turn in delay. When you pulled the bar the kite hesitated for a split second, but then it was really fast through the window. .
i flew the nemi HP10m 2008 as my main kite and just got the 2009 10m

that delay is gone and it takes less effort to turn - as a result the 2009 is a much faster turning and tighter turning kite

you can see the kite does twist more and reacts much faster to inputs

it interesting to note that there is even a twister tech patch in the dacron portion of the kite and if you grab it and twist you can feel that it is twistier than plan dacron

the bending characteristics are different two - twister tech is kind of like the disks in your back and when you bend the leading edge there is a bulge

as a result it seems harder to buckle the cuben or dacron, as the disks bulge out when try to bend the kite

i think the kite is great in waves and jumping and is in most ways an improvement over the 2008

the only draw back is that it is easier to stall than the 2008 HP

tight lines!

David

Return to “Kitesurfing”