Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: Bad TS Fay Squall Injury - Video

Postby RickI » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:09 am

Experimental player wrote:Wouldnt you keep your kite low and use your 5th line in this situation?

Dont tell me he was a dumbow!
and didnt have a 5th line rigged for self landing in powerful winds. :roll:
There was another accident with some similarities in the area involving a well experienced kiter on a new fifth line rig in another squall. More about that in the second story HERE. He ended up getting slammed into the sand after being lofted just short of the road but destroyed his kite. There are no magic kites, flat, fifth line or otherwise. We need to use good judgment, weather planning and practice in trying to deal with emergencies.

Stay out of squalls, period.

Experimental player
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Severe Storm Lofting In Florida - Video

Postby Experimental player » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:23 am

Do you trust yourself, selflanding your bow kite in that wind?

I do self land and have for many years self landed with a 5th line kite.
No new technology, its something that works in strong wind if you use your brains. :wink:

Bridle kites suck.
Its conditions like these bridles fail and kites death loop. Don't be irresposible and release your death looping dumbow into the crowd down wind.
Rig a 5th line if you have doubts on radical conditions,,,, period.

Gibby
Medium Poster

Postby Gibby » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:33 am

This video illustrates why no one should ever go out in these conditions...

Even if the rider let go of his bar, he likely would not have been able to pull the QR at those forces and speed (even if the speed had been somewhat reduced by letting the bar go).

Let's hope these kind of actions don't lead to bans...this caught on video and played on the news is not good for the sport, but does serve as a humbling reminder of the forces at work in kiting.

Best of luck on recovery.

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:40 am

The worst part of the video is in one of the later sections, the guy is standing on the beach talking about the incident and another idiot is out kiting. Is it not enough of a hint that one person was hit by a squall and is now lying in ICU that someone thinks they should go out as well?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:49 am

I suspect guys will think about or actually go out in similar or worse conditions tomorrow. Tuesday is supposed to be a day of stronger winds over more of Florida with substantially stronger squalls. They either won't know about these two tragic accidents or as is often the case, they will assume it won't happen to them, because ... no good reason.

The time to pull the QR if we're foolish enough to place ourselves in such conditions is before the winds build, temperature drops, etc.. Once we're in motion off the ground the odds of fixing things drops substantially. Best policy is to use your smarts to avoid the problem and not plan to react once you're deep into it.

Fifth line kites are no panacea as accidents have established. All kites in squalls have the capacity to do harm particularly when poor judgment is used based on harsh, all too often repeated experience.

Experimental player
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Experimental player » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:30 am

Use your brains and expect the worst in radical conditions.

Ask your local dumbow pusher to simulate a broken bridle by disconnecting a front line. Understand what the kite does and how your going to save it when it breaks in over powering winds.

Do the same with a 5 line kite.

If you're someone who uses their brains, you will always have your leash connected to a flagging line.

GungaDin
Medium Poster

Postby GungaDin » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:43 am

After watching that video I can't even imagine anybody surviving that if they impact something even remotely hard. The speed is incredible. I also would like to know more details about the incident. A bow kite or a C kite? And the main thing is what was the size of the kite and what was the gust? What was the experience level of the kiter? Mainly could he jump high with control before this incident? I definetly noticed he was hanging on to the bar flying through the air. Along with the Brazilian Death this is very tragic. My heart goes out to the individual and his family.

Jeff

GungaDin
Medium Poster

Postby GungaDin » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:53 am

I have to commend the "other" posters to have enormous restraint when responding to the 13 year olds posts

J

kitester
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitester » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:55 am

look at how fast that happened. I tell all my students that if you need to pull the release it is probably too late. I think kiters sometimes think that they can push the limits because they can always pull the release, right? You should never fly in conditions beyond your abilities or into bad situations that you might need a QR for. I bet that the kiter in the vid was an expieranced kiter. I bet he knew how to operate the release. He just did not have the time. Dont rely on a QR to get you out of trouble. It will all be over before you have the chance. And please use a helmet!

Habi
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Puerto Rico
Gear: Anything
Brand Affiliation: Kite Banging

Postby Habi » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:12 am

Truly sad !! for the guy !!! hope the best for him and family.
But the reality is that anyone who go out in this Wx conditions is attempting to their own lives , no excuses , things go wrong as quick as we see on that report , INSANE !!!! I can't believe people still being irresponsible , for not saying another word , don't learn from other obvious experiences , and the sport will get in DANGER !! if things like this keep happening obviously

Think !!! common sense !!! be responsible !!! there will be more days with wind that you could go out and , the most important , think on your FAMILY and those who you love and depend on you !!! can you imagine your self in a bed or a wheel chair for the rest of your life or may be dead because you had an accident kiting !!!! But this goes too !! to those who are on the shore , ( locals ) who let these individuals to go out in such EXTREME conditions ....:nono: LEAD BY EXAMPLE !!!!

Be smart , ride safe and known your limits , you are responsible for your and our safety when you launch a kite anyway !!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”