Forum for kitesurfers
MrG
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Australia in December

Postby MrG » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:39 am

Can anyone recommend any decent place to rent gear/get lessons in Australia?

I've got family in SYD, but from what I've read, that's not the best place to do any kiting. I'll be in the country from beginning of Dec. to first/second week of Jan. I'm gonna try to spend a few days in Perth and maybe a few days in Darwin. Traveling either by train or occasional plane. Might also try to head up along the gold coast.

I also won't be bringing any gear with me, so I'd like to rent some gear and might as well take some lessons. (I presume I won't need a wetsuit or booties. But might bring some gloves.)

Any suggestions?
Cheers
-mrg.

Kitehard
Rare Poster

Re: Australia in December

Postby Kitehard » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:12 am

Australia is kickin' in December

But here's the deal, Avoid Darwin as you'll go "Troppo" up there with the heat and humidity and also lack of wind. Same goes for the far north Queensland also deadly box jellyfish and irukanji and crocs in the far north, forget it!.

Australias east and west coast work well but a few days in Perth is a mistake, if you want wind, you should just come to Perth. We have so much wind in summer you can't even imagine how good it is.

Rental is becoming a problem for kites but boards are easy. There are some who still do kites, but insurance has made kites rental too expensive, however, a lesson comes complete with kite and all gear so maybe take a "Lesson". :wink:

We do lessons and hire boards and demo kites. East coast is OK, but the west is Mecca for wind. Forget the booties and gloves, this is australia mate, it's a sunburnt country, we don't do cold in summer!

Have a good look at Google Earth, you'll need to get a grip on how big it is so you can plan your trip better. A Quick trip from Perth to Sydney on the train is 3 days. I've driven it in three days solo (4000km) but I don't recommend it.

Take a look at our website for any info u may need www.kiteboardingschool.com.au

Good winds and enjoy Oz.

8)

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:09 am

The East Coast is great in December, don't listen to the blowhard, Kitehard! :-)
Its definitely windy on the East or Best Coast in December, Sydney is good for kiting, but the spots right in the city are limited to one large flatwater Bay, being Botany bay, and then the rest of the spots are open ocean. Ocean means waves, which most people like these days.
Within 1-2 hrs drive either side of Sydney are awesome locations and beyond is just some of the finest on the planet. Perth and surrounding areas are good too, good mix of flat water and surf, probably some of the best anywhere, with strong reliable sea breezes over summer.
Summer in Oz runs for 4-6 months, October to March, ish.
Summer water temps on the East Coast are 19-23C, on the West Coast is is cooler, sub 20 degrees.

Lessons are one way to get a ride for sure, hardly anyone rents kites, way too expensive to insure and risky for the operator. Boards and other stuff no worries.

Unless you really feel the cold all you need is a thermal rashie and boardies, or maybe a shortie wetsuit, cost here is approx $100 -$250 for a wetsuit.

Forget NT and Darwin for kitesurfing in summer, same with anywhere north of Bundaberg in Qld.

The total Oz coastline length is just shy of the diameter of the Earth, the place is huge.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve

richswing
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: City Beach, Melville Beach - Perth
Favorite Beaches: Umhloti Beach, Durban, South Africa
Tekweni Beach, Durban, South Africa

Postby richswing » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:34 am

I'll voutch for Perth, everyday in summer 15 to 20 knots seabreeze. The first two weeks of daylight savings I kited everyday for 2 hours after work until my wife wanted a devorce (joking) and I couldn't walk properly.

It's a good thing that you are coming in summer because winter sucks big time :( , the surf is flipping frigit and nothing to right home about in the Perth city area. Summer surf is non existant except for wind swell but for flat water there is a whole lot, one in particular is Woodmans point which is rated as one of the best in the world so I understand, your've just got to fight the crowds off. They say Margaret River rocks, just watch out for the sharks I hear.

I live for summer, come on summer before I do my head in :cry: .

Cheers

MrG
Rare Poster

Postby MrG » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:46 pm

Ok, thanks for all the help....
I have a Cabrinha HD 12m, and I suppose I could bring it, but I think it still makes sense to take lessons. 1) I won't be familiar with local areas, and 2) only having one kite might not be best for weather conditions.

Ok, so just rashguard and shorts.

I'll do some research on schools, although, it seems like they are all fairly pricey.

So Gold Coast north of Bundaberg is no good? Ok, I'll look more for sightseeing in that area instead.

I'll see if I can find some cheap hotel/hostel to stay in Perth; to stay for a bit longer.
Cheers
-mrg.

Experimental player
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Experimental player » Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:53 pm

I'm travelling alot, bugger the east coast of Australia during summer, full of posers, politics and piss weak wind to top it off.

Bugger Perth area. It is average if your going to travel from the other side of the world.

The south corner is ok when its too hot to be anywhere else in the peak of summer.

Summer seabreezes lasts from September to May north of Perth to Exmouth.
Vacant windy beaches with no pimps or posers.
The water in this area isnt cold as some idiot might tell you.

Such a nice place when I can get there. :heartface:

chinadoll
Rare Poster
Gear: 9m F-One Bandit, 12m Cabrinha Convert, 12m Liquid Force HiFi, 7m Royal Solo

Postby chinadoll » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:46 am

MrG wrote: I'll see if I can find some cheap hotel/hostel to stay in Perth; to stay for a bit longer.
Cheers
-mrg.

Come to Perth and stay here:

http://www.billabongresort.com.au/ie/index.html

1Jacko
Rare Poster

Postby 1Jacko » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:51 am

Hi MrG,

If you come to the gold coast you can look us up and we can help you out with any local information and also lessons or board hire. If you are have on the goldie and there is no wind why not come and try out Stand Up Paddle Surfing, we have wicked fun locations and not to mention the water is nice and warm.

www.kitesurfinggoldcoast.com.au

Cheers Paul J

kitermike
Rare Poster

Postby kitermike » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:13 am

Hey, how is the Melbourne area in November/December? I might be visiting around then.

Cheers,
Mike

groovek
Rare Poster
Local Beach: lyall bay ,wellington
Favorite Beaches: lyall bay, nz.lancelin, western australia.squamish spit, canada.
Style: wave, freestyle, big jumps.
Gear: 09 ids switchblade 10 mtr (demo kite).08 switchblades 6,8,10,mtr . 07 nova II takoon 12mtr. boards icon 150-38 stonka 130- 40
Brand Affiliation: cabrinha

Postby groovek » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:02 am

Hey,My partner and i went to 'Lancelin',an hour and a halfs drive north of Perth for two weeks last december 25th, look it up on the net, its a totally sick kiting destination, great backpackers www.lancelin lodge' right by the beach they will pick you up from perth which is great.. we were there for 14 days and kited 11 of them mostly on 8 mtr kites, 20knots plus most days ,totally mental wave sessions and some real nice flat warm water as well.you dont really need a wetsuit but there is lots of coral reef about which could get a bit scratchy if you land on it! . Around about the 20th dec they have the 'Lancelin classic' which is a 15 km downwind race from town up the coast which is legendary. party party!! There is a local kite school which the lodge should be able to hook you up with which do lessons i think .Take a kite if you can 12- 8 mtr . most days there were about 20- 30 kiters out riding of all nationalities. lottsa kickass styles to get you excited .get there dude you wont regret it!!

Return to “Kitesurfing”