Forum for kitesurfers
Kosh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 9m2
Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 13m2
Cabrinha Imperial 2008 128 board
Brand Affiliation: Promotes Cabrinha for the national distributor.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Florida Fay Lofting: Interview with Rider Kevin

Postby Kosh » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:39 pm

Not good....does he still not remember the accident?

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:08 pm

Kosh wrote:Not good....does he still not remember the accident?
"Accident? What are you talking about, did you see those f*cking turtles!!!" :kiff:

Ted B
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Ted B » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:03 pm

First let me say that I am very happy that K is going to make a 100% recovery..

But Kevin is a complete DUMB @SS in my opinion. Thank you kevin for pissing on the entire kite community of the USA. How about taking the Blame for your actions and the fact that your INEXPERIENCE put you in that position..How about thinking of the Sport and every kiter in the USA before you answer questions on a Show that millions will see..How about next time when you are on land just keeping your KITE LOW AND not putting a powerful wing over your head in storm conditions..The Funny thing is when you watch the Video of Kevin being launched, while he is being launched uncontrollably there is another kite in the back ground that is LOW and the guy might be getting a good pull but he is not flying through the Air crashing into buildings. It is plain and simple this Accident did not need to happen and just simple beginner skills That I teach every new kiteboarder in there FIRST lessons would of prevented this accident. Keep your Kite LOW and GO when leaving the shore and keep your kite low while landing your kite when coming in. Maybe the problem is that you taught your self ,like you said in the Video. JUST KNOW you kicked the sport of kiteboarding in the nuts....................Thanks TED B

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster

Postby Don Monnot » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:25 pm

I wouldn't say that his crash (I don't call it an accident) was caused by his lack of experience. I've only been at this about a year, but could tell by my third time out (after two lessons) that unpredictably gusty wind is a really bad idea. Yes, with a small kite it could be fun to go out in big wind, but it's got to be predictable wind. Around here (Wisconsin) when the wind gusts to more than about 30-35 mph, it's no longer predictable. When the forecast is for "gusting over 40" what we really get is 15 - 50. You can't pick one kite that works in 15 and 50. His was not a lack of experience, just a lack of sense. Maybe one of his first year slams scrambled his brains.

Don

Windguy
Frequent Poster

Postby Windguy » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:33 pm

If anyone gives this guy a launch assist you deserve a serious beatdown. This guy could singlehandedly end kiting in all of Florida. Do you think the governer might have seen this? What a douchebag.

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1991
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V5, 11/14 Enduro v2, Zephyr V5, Edge V9 10M, Alpha V1 8/10M, Hyperlink V1 9/12m, Chrono V3 13M UL Axis Patrol 1.48, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" Ride engine carbon elite, rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisBoarding

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:14 am

Fokiten!!
You ruined that interview for me and my missus, we had to replay it several times before we could get through it all without bursting out in hysterics!!!

Someone should issue a statement, that Kevin has suffered brain damage, and that his comments about kiteboarding should not be taken seriously.
When all of the brain damage occurred is unknown.

Someone needs to tell him to lay low and STFU!

Could say a lot more, makes me really mad to hear him talk his shite, big noting himself, while doing probably irreparable damage to the sports image. The rest of you have said plenty, and said it well.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve
Last edited by Ozone Kites AUS on Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alan
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Ozone

Re: Florida Fay Lofting: new video with Kevin

Postby Alan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:07 am

afflatus wrote:If you close your eyes,

It's like Marge Simpson picked up Homer's script by mistake.

You nailed it!

Ted B
Frequent Poster

Postby Ted B » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:16 am

Sorry to say DON M but this is INEXPERIENCE. By simply keeping his kite Low this would of never happened.. I heard there was another EXPERIENCED kiter telling him to put his kite low and he disregarded this advise and see what his inexperience caused... This is a large Hump for kiting to get over.. lets hope no bans come from one dumb @sses actions...

afflatus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby afflatus » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:27 am

Dang,

Hate to do this..........but

that dude with low kite is no rocket scientist either, there's nothing to say some gust could not just sweep the entire beach clean...

that would include your star pupil too...Mr. low ball

You need to disable your kite, not park it and hope for the best....

ENOUGH,

I have a real problem with the keep it low and go crowd...

I see it as an enabler of the poor decision.

I don't think Rick meant it to be that, but that's what it's become.

There's no gold standard for staying on the ground... and sitting on your ass holding a fucking kite and praying some one comes to grab it

is nothing I would consider even close to smart, considering what you knew was coming is already on you.

Hey, no biggie, it just needed to be said...

Don't get me started...

just chill the f*** out...

Thanks
Best Regards Ted,

Don't make it more stupid than it already is.....
fo
Ted B wrote:Sorry to say DON M but this is INEXPERIENCE. By simply keeping his kite Low this would of never happened.. I heard there was another EXPERIENCED kiter telling him to put his kite low and he disregarded this advise and see what his inexperience caused... This is a large Hump for kiting to get over.. lets hope no bans come from one dumb @sses actions...

Experimental player
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Experimental player » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:36 am

Wow, that dude is pretty messed up. We can all learn from his experience.
Sometimes squals and random thermals are hard to physically see!

Keep your safety leash attached to 1 flagging line full time so you can land easily.
Get familiar with it!

Depower and tangled safety leashes dont work when your over powered.
Correctly tuned 5th line will flag the kite and keep the canopy at 0 degrees angle of attack.

Dont be a dumbow forget the bridle kite marketing hype. They dont work good enough when you are in big trouble, I have seen busted bridles many times and kitelooping kites with no leash attached to 1 line.

Kevin should mention not to jump on the beach. That is where he firstly came unstuck over shooting the fast flying 7m kite and crash landing.

Return to “Kitesurfing”