afflatus
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Things Safety Rick Won't Tell You

Postby afflatus » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:33 pm

Nice,

Sounds like you're going to do just fine...

kudos..

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:38 pm

afflatus wrote:...
Sounds like you're going to do just fine...
...said the cat in the hat....

:cool2:

afflatus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby afflatus » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:59 pm

Looks as if you took my advice...

You feel better don't you?

How high would a kite be on the down low?

just between me and your new anarchist self of course...

fo

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:17 am

Satan wrote: Kitepower, it just shows how clueless a huge proportion of IKO instructors are clueless. Holding the end of the bar is dangerous, especially for beginners. This is something Rick doesn't get either. I find it amazing how many instructors certified by various companies tell their students to hold the bar at the end.

As far as the physics, neither you nor I can break Newton's laws unless we kite close to the speed of light.
I think it was some other famous guy that proposed that certain "laws" become a bit wobbly, once the "observer" or everything starts moving at the speed of light :D

Give up or do some research.

So why don't driving instructors tell people to just put their hands in the centre of the steering wheel, it looks way cooler in my book, especially if you have the seats layed right back, wear a cap backwards and have some chrome on ya wheels.

Look at what everyone is saying to you, be adaptable. Thats what Rick is always saying too.
Be adaptable, and be aware of the weather and everything around you, always. Adapt, we humans and all living things do it quite naturally, when our head is not up our poop hole, where the real mythical satan is said to live, LOL.

Cya and

Goodwinds

Steve McMythbuster

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:24 am

afflatus wrote:Looks as if you took my advice...

You feel better don't you?

How high would a kite be on the down low?

just between me and your new anarchist self of course...

fo
IMHO: A "high" kite is above 45 degrees, and a "low" kite is below 45 degrees.

The "max high" is at zenith with risk of zeppelin and line tangles if it lulls. The "max low" is wingtip touching the surface (or very close to it) with risk of line snag on surface debris and people snag on innocent bystanders. The "ideal high" is about 75 degrees. The "ideal low" is about 15 degrees off the horizon. In layman terms, you don't want to be so high that your feet leave the ground, nor so low that you fall over. You want your kite angle to be either slightly ecstatic or slightly mellowed.

Each posture has its benefits depending on the situation. Unsure footing? Go for a little more ecstatic uplifting of the spirits (at least you had a good time). Don't want to go overboard in creating undue excitement? Go for a little more of the mellow relaxed approach (no need to add fuel to the fire). 45 degrees is for the people who like to sit on the fence and keep their options equally open (the wait and see-ers). Depends on the situation.

"Anarchy" is a creation from the mind of man. It simply describes those events whose cause and relations are beyond our current understanding. The universe has its rules and patterns of activity, and still allows for spontaneity.

afflatus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby afflatus » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:37 am

So ok,

doing the math, carry the seven throw out the high and low (Olympic style) divide by two,

average the numerator subtract the? what this? 45 degrees?

yeah, I thought so...ya smarmy bitches.

So now we have it,

middling to highish is idea for:?

the butter, or steady, fun, do-able wind, and will see the savvy swinging dick kiter walking his canvas gal at 45 degrees and above or there abouts, , but not straight up, as the idea is to work with it, not to have it in tow......

Low is ideal for?

Tropical storms or just your average gusty fucked up dangerous, clown hat wearing swiss cheese hurricane,,,wait !!

What's wrong here?

O' for Christ sakes, looks like a low kite just enables the poor decision...??

Well f*** me, who'd a guessed it?

You guys crack me up-sorta

but thanks, glad we cleared that up...

fo

-andre-
Medium Poster
Style: no school
Gear: GK V-SONIC
TRIX´08 12, 9

UG FLX 132

Postby -andre- » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:21 am

SPUDLEY wrote:The boarder with the RIGHT hand leading has the right to hold his course.
and must have to stay on his course during the crossing

Thats how i learned it

Kite high or low
Lets simply say: Keep it as low as possible but don´t park it at the Zenith.
And:
Land your Kite directly at Waterside/Shore. Avoid to walk across the beach with your Kite up to park it close to your car.
Launch your Kite at Waterside with Kite towards Water if the Wind blows Sideshore. So you won´t have to cross the zenith to leave.

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo and Cabrinha kites. North and Slingshot boards. Lift foils.

Postby Eduardo » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:34 pm

graphik wrote:I won't touch that one... but here it is from a new rider perspective.

I got my lesson and it was a 4 hour intro and I also did a lot of homework to ensure I was responsible for my and others safety. At my beach, it is mostly newby's because that is where they teach, and the water is super shallow for a long way. The first few times out it was busy so I stayed pretty far downwind. As I got better (and the beach got busier) I found myself in the crowd with lots of kiters new to the sport. I knew the right of way rules but then someone is coming at you and you're less than competent, I froze a couple of times, put the kite at 12 and forced them to veer or switch direction. Not intentional, but it just happened. Once I was passed by a guy who came inches from a kite tangle. He said sorry as he passed, but at the time I didn't know how I would have avoided it anyway.

To those new to the sport, right of way isn't tough, but it would take a while and lots of practice to get batter at right of way. My default is to be proactive and change course before we get close enough to change kite position. Through experience, I keep it low when being passed and high when passing. But it takes time. I could figure out what a starboard tack or leeward is, but in a pinch, you just do what comes naturally until you get a feel for riding in a crowd. Crowd riding is like defensive driving. you have to know the rules, but always expect the unexpected.

As for the low and go... I do both depending on the situation and weather. We have a slippery beach near the water and low will pull you off your center of gravity and you'll likely fall which could cause you to oversteer. But once I'm in the water, I keep it lower (10) until i'm ready to get on the board.
The low/high issue is not passed/being passed. It's downwind/upwind. That is, if you're upwind of someone, opposite directions or same direction, if your kite is high you can pass much closer than if your kite is low. Also, the kite high serves as a signal that you plan to be upwind or low a signal that you'll be downwind.

the starboard rule is right hand forward has right of way and should keep going in the same direction. if you don't have right of way, you must go up or down wind to make room.

but as in my previous post, most kiters do know the kite high/low rule. but few know or follow any other rules. so don't have high expectations just because your right hand is forward.

splatnikGanglion
Very Frequent Poster

Postby splatnikGanglion » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:31 pm

Jesus, this topic is dead, everyone's saying the same shit over and over again and Satan is just out to flame rick.

How about this? Learn the fucking rules but if the dude coming at you is not following them use the thing that separates you from the chimps and figure out a way to avoid a collision. If the dude keeps doing stupid shit, go over to him and politely explain the situation. If the dude turns out to be Satan from this board please break his fingers so he cannot post again.

Life is shades of gray, not black and white. Learn the rules then improvise if you have to.

f***, this is not that complicated...

blowhard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby blowhard » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:39 pm

splatnikGanglion wrote:Jesus, this topic is dead, everyone's saying the same shit over and over again and Satan is just out to flame rick.

How about this? Learn the fucking rules but if the dude coming at you is not following them use the thing that separates you from the chimps and figure out a way to avoid a collision. If the dude keeps doing stupid shit, go over to him and politely explain the situation. If the dude turns out to be Satan from this board please break his fingers so he cannot post again.

Life is shades of gray, not black and white. Learn the rules then improvise if you have to.

f***, this is not that complicated...
WORD PAL!!!!!!
it's over :allbegood:
buuuuut
I'm a little unsure about this holding the bar in the middle ,that is what I do when the wind is light and I need more throw to turn kite faster
If my hands are on the ends I have a direct amount of leverage ,,if I move my hand 1 inch the bar moves 1 inch
,,,,If I have my hands in the middle of the bar (and have the strength) ,,when I move the bar 1 inch the ends of the bar travel a lot more.
granted, it's a lot harder to move the bar but you get a lot more throw for for the same 1 inch of motion ???
don't you ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”