surfingwithkites wrote:There will be pro SUP contest circuits way before kiting. And that is funny.
A SUP contest?? That would be funny!
The "cross country" of the water world.... here's the course track....
(1) Beach start into on shore breaking waves... first goal to get out beyond the break zone to round the first bouy...
(2) Once you get out of the break zone to round the first bouy, you have to go across the onshore swell with slightly onshore wind upwind to round a bouy..
(3) Then you have to go out for the down wind run past the point that you started (imagine janitors racing the length a football field pushing a piece of paper in front of them... or, better yet, imagine a curling race on the water)
(4) Then they have to round a bouy and get back upwind to their starting point on a zig zag course of bouys. Once they get back to the bouy offshore of the starting point, the timed part of the race ends.
(5) The big finale is the wave riding event to shore with points scored for wave riding skills and number of waves caught in a 30 minute period.
Winner is determined by some formula of the timed part of the race and the wave riding part of the race.
Sounds like a ESPN event to watch! (Actually, I would watch something like that....)