Why No WAVE TOUR?

Forum for kitesurfers
surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Why No WAVE TOUR?

Postby surfingwithkites » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:28 pm

The post from Best sums up the problems from a corporate perspective nicely. Wave events generate almost no credibility with riders, little coverage in the print media, terrible and or no video coverage and rarely get good enough conditions to happen much less matter.

Blowhard sums up the current state of riding pretty well. It's either long gay floaters or weak ass wiggling while the bow heads for the drink. Either overpowered and very linear train track races like you see at spots like backyards and one eye or silly bow drifting ass wiggling like you see everywhere else. Neither looks or feels great or inspires.

I like to see lots of variety of big vertical hits, solid bottom turns, clean airs that flow with the wave, hooks in the pocket, snaps on the shoulder, everything possible in the way of modern surfing and all of it linked smoothly with clean kite flying. Not getting yanked, not slack lined. An emphasis on not hanging off the bar and doing ten thousand gay laybacks or lame kite assisted floaters and no more bow drift ass wiggling. But that's just my personal perspective. The sport can go whatever way the collective riders want to take it.

What's important is lots of expression session events that we can all see the video from. Preferably where each rider chooses his five best rides to put in the video clip and it is posted for all to see, enjoy, learn from, and judge. Eventually a sort of consensus on styles and what the sport is about will rise up.

This is the internet age and we no longer need "invite only" events and "paid judges" to tell us what is good. This is an outdated system that made sense when it was hard to record performances and distribute the "results". It is being perpetuated by contest promoters who want to make money for themselves and pretend they know what is best for all of us and who deserves to be invited and who "wins". Talk about old school. Just record it and put it out there on the web and let the riders decide for themselves.

ktouhey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I fly a lot.
Style: waves
Gear: Naish kites & boards, O'neill wetsuits.
Brand Affiliation: Naish, O'neill - Canada Team Rider

Postby ktouhey » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:44 pm

I think the only answer is that someone (PKRA maybe???) needs to just buck up and start a wave tour. period. It will suck for the first few years, but if you get enough interest from enough good riders, it will sort itself out and become a self-fulfilled prophecy.
...but it'll need to suck for a while, and the first crop of riders will just have to be willing to deal with that for the greater good (kinda like how the freestyle tours emerged).

There needs to be some 'key' events though with consistency, even if at the compromised of less-than-ideal conditions (ie. Lanes??).

Grassroots contests/events are a critical part though. You need a structure to build a world tour upon. That takes time. Let small events come and go to determine which venues will and won't work. Individual events grow and then get absorbed in to the tour.

I've been thinking about organizing a grassroots thing here in Canada. It would have to have a holding period though, which would pretty much restrict it to locals by nature of the beast. My biggest hurdle so far though is judging... I can't think of a single person around here (non competitor) who's judging I would trust, so I may just make it an "event". or more likely, not do it at all.

agreed, open entry is a MUST... but I'd say have it pre-register. so-and-so won't show up unless he knows that whats-his-name and that-other-dude are planning to go too.
Last edited by ktouhey on Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ktouhey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I fly a lot.
Style: waves
Gear: Naish kites & boards, O'neill wetsuits.
Brand Affiliation: Naish, O'neill - Canada Team Rider

Postby ktouhey » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:47 pm

Side note:

When are laybacks, floaters, and/or tailslides with a kite 'legit'?

jaycob
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jaycob » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:23 am

Laybacks and floaters are legit when you are learning to wave ride.
They are the basic moves with a kite.

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:14 am

laybacks and floaters are always legit. They are just basic and should be scored that way.

Riders with smooth flow and forward drive who can get vertical turns in without resorting to sliding the tail and doing laybacks and depending on their straps are riding at a much higher level of skill

Return to “Kitesurfing”