Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Whats the DUMBEST thing you've done while kiting.....

Forum for kitesurfers
EGORR
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hukilau
Favorite Beaches: Hukilau
Style: Twintip
Gear: gk sonic
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Whats the DUMBEST thing you've done while kiting.....

Postby EGORR » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:54 am

We've all done stupid things and most have lived to tell about it....so share your stupidity and perhaps we can prevent some more "King Kevin"s from making the news
Last edited by EGORR on Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

kakanala
Frequent Poster

Re: What is DUMBEST thing you've done while kiting.....

Postby kakanala » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:27 am

First time I was wearing my Ocean Rodeo DRY suit I totally forgot I was wearing a DRY suit and I pissed IN the suit (yeah, I was 1 mile away from the shore...). When I took into account what I was doing it was far too late.

Shame to me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:48 am

I have a good one .... here I go ..

Got my first kite ( back then in 2004 ) and since I have been all my life a type of " self teaching guy " I though ..... I don´t need to take lessons .... so I go to the beach pumped my kite ( 13m ) extended the lines ( had no clue what front lines or back lines was for and I never EVER read a manual in my entire life ) so I attached the front lines to the steering pigtails and the steering to the front lines pigtails ...

Got ready for launch ... a guy sitting there gave me a hand ... released the kite and BUMMMMM that mother f**** goes up like a rocket with no chance to steer or de-power the kite ; I think I noticed that i did something wrong so luckily i managed to activate the QR but it did nothing .... the leash was attached to my wrist so I got pulled by the kite all around the beach until I managed to release the leash after around 200 meters or so ..

Packed all my stuff , walked around the beach ( at that point I was full of mud , my wet suit was all over teared and ripped off ) till I found a guy teaching so stopped there and before I managed to say one word he said : HUH man ... I think you need to take some lessons Do you ?

Yeah .... shit happens

Next time I may take some time to read the manual :rollgrin:

Saludos

Franz

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:09 pm

at the very beginning...

riding in the bay of Palma de Mallorca...launched of a small motor boat.

Trying to ride...and my friend on the boat says: "let's get out of the bay, there are big ships around getting in and out of the harbor".

I said "yeah, whatever" and then finally I was riding for the first time a longer distance....saw a big container ship coming from the harbor...but I was so happy to ride, and wanted to keep riding and pass the ship in front of it...

Luckily I made it! I fall in after crossing the line of the ship, in a distance of about 500m...and if you know ships...they cannot just stop...they need a long distance to stop...so luckily I was not falling into the water in front of them!

I was sitting in the water and look up to the bridge, being so happy to finally ride...and saw several man on the ship's bridge giving me this: :crazy2:

That was in August 2000! Now I wouldn't want to ride in front of a big ship again!

mikido
Rare Poster
Local Beach: NYC

Postby mikido » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:36 pm

joining this forum?

kytsrf
Medium Poster

Postby kytsrf » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:50 pm

Ran down the beach stairs to rig up and badly broke 5th metatarsal on last step.
Out 8 weeks.

But wait, the owner of our kite shop rigged 3 of his kite lines to his own kite,
and when he went to launch, saw he had rigged the 4th. to a different kite.

Tom183
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tom183 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:04 pm

Back in my buggying days (which taught me some lessons that would have hurt much more with a full-sized kite):

First mistake:
Didn't have leashes on some of my kites (many 4-line buggy kites with handles didn't come with leashes - some still don't).
Lesson learned:
EVERY kite needs a leash, no matter how small or how little wind you use them in. EVERY kite. (Manufacturers: take note!)

Second mistake:
Loaned my kite to a known kook, who somehow got the lines twisted up on one side, which I didn't see until after I had relaunched the kite.
Lesson learned:
Always check your kite thoroughly before launch, especially after loaning it to someone - you just never know unless you check it yourself, even if you loaned it to an experienced rider they might have done something different than you when they set it down.

Third mistake:
Instead of landing the kite to fix the lines, I thought "I'll just spin the handle on that side to get the twist out". Never mind that it was blowing near 30mph - the handle got ripped out of my hand, then I was hanging on with just one side, which is like holding the bar at the end with both hands. Fortunately only a 2.1m kite so I didn't get lofted, but it was enough to drag my 200lb carcass a considerable distance. Eventually had to let go because I was running out of sand and I couldn't think of any other way to stop the kite (although in retrospect, I realize I could have used my free hand to reel in the rear leader and flag the kite).
Lesson learned:
Fix problems ON THE GROUND, never in the air. It doesn't matter how small the problem seems, the only safe place to fix anything is with the kite dead on the ground.

Really, this can all be summed up in a single lesson:
BE f*cking CAREFUL!!! Those were seemingly minor oversights (individually, at least), but if I had made those mistakes with a full-sized kite, I'd be a statistic now.

Being meticulous and cautious means survival. Being sloppy and overconfident means it's only a matter of time before the odds catch up with you.

Miltsface
Frequent Poster

Postby Miltsface » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:56 pm

teaching my wife....

Tommyboy
Medium Poster

Postby Tommyboy » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:15 pm

Spit into the wind.. Damnit, i do it almost evertime and it always hits me. Dummy!

T

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha beach, Le Morne, Silver Rock
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Cabrinha kites. North, Airush, and Slingshot boards and foils.

Postby Eduardo » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:59 pm

Some really good ones above. My dumbest thing was not learning to body drag up wind until AFTER I needed to.

I learned in shallow water (SPI) and went an entire year without ever even thinking about body dragging. Who needs it? Just stand up and walk to your board.

It wasn't until traveling to a place with deep water and a major wipe out. There I was with my board not too far upwind and I was wondering, how the heck do I get it? I first tried swimming straight upwind with the kite at 12:00. Definitely an exhausting failure in the old C-kite days. Then I decided the kite would have less pull if I crashed it in the water and then swam upwind holding the C-loop. Also a bad idea. By the time I figured out how to do it I was very far away and my board was never to be seen again. Did anyone ever find a drifting Naish Sky Pirate in 2002?

Return to “Kitesurfing”