Forum for kitesurfers
droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Re: Cool Felix&Hat strapless action

Postby droffats » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:56 am

Top Hat is a Freak Dog sponsored rider, they announced it on their website recently.

http://www.freakdogkites.com/

Admitted Freak Dog Pimp,
Droffats

Rex
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Rex » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:29 am

SWK>As someone else wrote, the vids are really great inspiration for strapless fun!

Is there some way to download the vids so that I can see some of the moves in slow mo? (yup, I know ... I'm not the fastest animal in the forest :wink: )

Cheers

Rex

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:52 pm

kitermd, yep, hat on. hasn't done it in years. actually not in decades. you can't buy a wave at pipe anymore.

Rex, Jim has posted the downloaded-able full size version on KiteWorld TV site. You might be able to play it in slow mo from that. It was edited in final cut pro 6 and exported as a quicktime file that will play with reasonable quality up to about 30 inch screens. not sure about how the slow mo features work with that kind of file. Probably depends on what you are playing it on. I'm not very technical so I don't really know.

All the footage is already slowed way down already except one wave which plays at normal actual speed (the last wave hit in the clip). I know some of it should be much slower and feature more angles and more kite for learning tricks and kite flying stuff. We will be doing some tutorial vids possibly with various mags and as leaders/trailers for film coming up that will feature four to six points of view and have lots of things broken down. Let us know what kind of stuff you really want to see in regards to that and we will try to make it happen. If we aren't too lazy or don't blow it all off and go surf.

droffats, Thanks for clearing up Hats status for us. I didn't mean any disrespect to freakdog kites or their program. After all I liked them enough to give them some nice free exposure that features their product and shows their kite and there are lots of brands out there that I simply wouldn't show the kite or give any credit too. I was just trying to keep it real as far as kite styles go so people don't jump to conclusions and start tossing flat kites into the sky on fixed bars. That's a good way to get hurt if you don't have a lot of fixed bar experience.

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:52 pm

kitermd, yep, hat on. hasn't done it in years. actually not in decades. you can't buy a wave at pipe anymore.

Rex, Jim has posted the downloaded-able full size version on KiteWorld TV site. You might be able to play it in slow mo from that. It was edited in final cut pro 6 and exported as a quicktime file that will play with reasonable quality up to about 30 inch screens. not sure about how the slow mo features work with that kind of file. Probably depends on what you are playing it on. I'm not very technical so I don't really know.

All the footage is already slowed way down already except one wave which plays at normal actual speed (the last wave hit in the clip). I know some of it should be much slower and feature more angles and more kite for learning tricks and kite flying stuff. We will be doing some tutorial vids possibly with various mags and as leaders/trailers for film coming up that will feature four to six points of view and have lots of things broken down. Let us know what kind of stuff you really want to see in regards to that and we will try to make it happen. If we aren't too lazy or don't blow it all off and go surf.

droffats, Thanks for clearing up Hats status for us. I didn't mean any disrespect to freakdog kites or their program. After all I liked them enough to give them some nice free exposure that features their product and shows their kite and there are lots of brands out there that I simply wouldn't show the kite or give any credit too. I was just trying to keep it real as far as kite styles go so people don't jump to conclusions and start tossing flat kites into the sky on fixed bars. That's a good way to get hurt if you don't have a lot of fixed bar experience.

seano
Medium Poster

Postby seano » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:57 am

How much did a wave @ pipe used to retail for ? :kiff:

Yay :cheer: So you can stick a pulley-bar on a CarBarina Xbow - 100% depower and what-knot !?

GDC bro' ; where's my stickers ?

Rex
Frequent Poster

Postby Rex » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:28 am

Hey SWK

Thanks for your suggestion. Just checked the kiteworld.tv. They have it in a format so it's not possible to download.

The clips I wanted to check in slow-mo are where there's some cool scenes tacking ... I want to see how they position their feet to turn the board and to see the weight they put on the board while tacking and jibing. That's mostly it.

Cheers

Rex

hilly1
Rare Poster

Postby hilly1 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:04 pm

Web video (usually flv format) can be downloaded by using Firefox as a browser http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/ and the DownloadHelper addon https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006
Will be web quality but good enough. View in VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
or use Real player which will download as well http://www.download-free-player.com/rea ... RP_0062_04

Enjoy :bye:

surfingwithkites
Very Frequent Poster

Postby surfingwithkites » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:24 am

waves at pipe used to cost an arm and a leg but now you have to sell your soul. And that's just for a small one. seano. send me your address and Ill send a bunch

The tacking stuff is all about kite control. You can do endless variations with your feet. the basic is to shove tail and slide it as you bring kite up and just change stance. challenge is to keep kite flying where it needs to go since as the tail breaks loose the tendancy is to pull on you back hand and send the kite too far into a loop. other problems are not getting kite high enough and getting pulled too far when sliding and losing control of board. Just do it ten thousand times and it will be easy. I need to do a bout nine thousand eight hundred more and then I will get it right everytime too.

Return to “Kitesurfing”