Rare Poster
Local Beach: clacton on sea
Style: beginner
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

portugal beginners trip

Postby nkh » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:49 pm

thinking of going to portugal in october with my 11 year old son . we're beginners , having had a few lessons at the local beach but want to get confident with going both ways . any suggestions on good schools that speak english and have good kit with safe areas for beginners . we're flying from stansted london and will stay about 4 days

bill_kelso
Rare Poster

Re: portugal beginners trip

Postby bill_kelso » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:05 pm

Forgot to mention where TO you're flying. Here is a comprehensive list of kite schools in Portugal:

http://www.kitetuga.com/kiteforum/viewf ... 49f828a114

It is in portuguese however, guess it is time to dig out past experiences? Or is it your first time here?

4 days seems short as October is not the best month for wind. There are very nice spots around Lisbon to get the course. If you're going to Algarve check around Faro, Alvor or Cabanas, depending on where you're staying. Don't forget also northern Portugal, may be a little colder but plenty of nice spots around Viana and Porto.

Happy kiting, keep the spirit - already training the family, eh?

BK

stunaite
Medium Poster

Postby stunaite » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:48 am

There is high chances to have no wind in October. Try Tarifa in South Spain. It is the windier place in Europe! :thumb:

nkh
Rare Poster
Local Beach: clacton on sea
Style: beginner

Postby nkh » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:04 pm

stunaite wrote:There is high chances to have no wind in October. Try Tarifa in South Spain. It is the windier place in Europe! :thumb:

thanks , thats exactly the kind of info we need . we' were easy about where to go , just depended on where would be best . I'll look for schools around tarifa or if you know of any?

bill_kelso
Rare Poster

Postby bill_kelso » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:23 pm

I agree with Stu on wind but not that Tarifa is the best spot to learn: you may end up with more wind than you can handle! It really depends on your current level, Tarifa is by no means a beginner's spot.

Anyway, objectivity on the side, I guess I am pushing to get people in Portugal rather than Spain!

Happy kiting!

BK

stunaite
Medium Poster

Postby stunaite » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:25 pm

nkh wrote:
stunaite wrote:There is high chances to have no wind in October. Try Tarifa in South Spain. It is the windier place in Europe! :thumb:

thanks , thats exactly the kind of info we need . we' were easy about where to go , just depended on where would be best . I'll look for schools around tarifa or if you know of any?
There are plenty kiteschools in Tarifa but I don't know about advising you whichone to choose.Iam living in Portugal near Sintra as Bill do. Summer season until August has somedays blowing but after that I don't think it is a good bet. Last week we just have 1 windy day (storm) and this week we haven't any. Tarifa could not be the best place to learn but with suitable equipment and avoiding any nuclear winds you will be all right (Y can find in Tarifa more kites than in whole Portugal :wink:

Return to “Kitesurfing”