Neil Hutchinson about Florida Accident

Forum for kitesurfers
AlwaysCharging
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Neil Hutchinson about Florida Accident

Postby AlwaysCharging » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:52 pm

I think that Kevin being the ambassador of kiteboarding to the rest of the world is the best thing that has happened to the sport in a while. He just did more for all of us than most could do in a lifetime. Do you know how many people now will be scared to ever get into kiteboarding? The windy beaches are already too crowded, what do you think is going to happen in 10 or 20 years? Do you really think they will allow 100 kites in the water (along with newbs, tangled lines, and all the other bs that goes with it) at your favorite spot that currently barely handles 10? Just look at surfing, the better waves have been virtually ruined by overcrowding. Hopefully this incident will make the waters a little more manageable down the road.

afflatus
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby afflatus » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:10 pm

Think of all the lives he has plucked and saved from out of the grasp of the safe-now salesmen...

our number one real time, this could also be you advocate for sure...

the other dudes, all working hard on the workarounds...

if this, if that, if, if, if, if all this and you're not unlucky then it's safer than taking a shower...

as if...it will ever be any safer than say base jumping in a wing suit...

we've five times the deaths of base jumpers jumping off cliffs in wing suits..

why? because seeing the risk in jumping off cliffs in wing suits is self evident...

narrows the I want to try that because it's safe "if" you take lessons, watch the weather, wear some good shoes and a helmet, know your gear, watch your altimeter, and most of all know when and what to pull to deploy your safety chute/ canopy...

Sound just like kite advise don't it...???

the difference is you can easily sell the idea of hooking yourself to a power kite to an innocent because they cannot see the danger, that's changed now, thanks to kevin...
Last edited by afflatus on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blowhard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby blowhard » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:36 pm

AlwaysCharging wrote:I think that Kevin being the ambassador of kiteboarding to the rest of the world is the best thing that has happened to the sport in a while. He just did more for all of us than most could do in a lifetime. Do you know how many people now will be scared to ever get into kiteboarding? The windy beaches are already too crowded, what do you think is going to happen in 10 or 20 years? Do you really think they will allow 100 kites in the water (along with newbs, tangled lines, and all the other bs that goes with it) at your favorite spot that currently barely handles 10? Just look at surfing, the better waves have been virtually ruined by overcrowding. Hopefully this incident will make the waters a little more manageable down the road.
good point

but the plan to sell kites that don't hurt is
seriously flawed

New full "De power" kites has a lot more power than any of the older kites I've flown
that's why I use them :angryfire:

afflatus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby afflatus » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:44 pm

the points have been made

It's up to our so called leaders to change now...

think that'll happen?

no fucking way, they know they must continually draw more innocents into danger to keep themselves from becoming irrelevant...

dang, did I say that out loud?

oops.........

Return to “Kitesurfing”