Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

OR Mako wide riders: best technique for upwind preformance?

Forum for kitesurfers
sarc
Very Frequent Poster

OR Mako wide riders: best technique for upwind preformance?

Postby sarc » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:11 am

I'm learning how to use my Mako wide and since it rides different from a normal twintip I'm still finding out things.

Seems to me that when underpowered / slogging around I go upwind best keeping the board flat and pulling in the front foot to make the board point upwind. Like a directional.

Normal powered it seems like I do best hedging and with weight forward on the front foot. Like a twintip.

Overpowered seems like I need to put some weight on back foot but if it's too much I slide out, trip and crash.

So far the overall upwind I'm getting varies a lot, sometimes I'm falling behind normal twintips and sometimes I'm way ahead of them.

Thanks for advice!

ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: OR Mako wide riders: best technique for upwind preformance?

Postby ed257 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:57 am

sarc wrote:I'm learning how to use my Mako wide and since it rides different from a normal twintip I'm still finding out things.

Seems to me that when underpowered / slogging around I go upwind best keeping the board flat and pulling in the front foot to make the board point upwind. Like a directional.

Normal powered it seems like I do best hedging and with weight forward on the front foot. Like a twintip.

Overpowered seems like I need to put some weight on back foot but if it's too much I slide out, trip and crash.

So far the overall upwind I'm getting varies a lot, sometimes I'm falling behind normal twintips and sometimes I'm way ahead of them.

Thanks for advice!
This board is extremely versatile and can be ridden a lot of ways. I agree that in lighter winds you ride it flatter and of course bear off the wind a bit more. Also in light winds you can really put more weight on the front leg.

When I am really powered I suppose that I do load up my rear leg a bit more, but that is probably out of habit more that because the board needs it. I never slide out or crash from regular powered up riding. You may need to ride the rail more when really powered up, but resist the urge to really load up your back leg as on a conventional board. Instead, just keep your weight a bit more balanced - but roll the board onto its edge more.

Cheers,

Ed

five
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: OR Mako wide riders: best technique for upwind preformance?

Postby five » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:11 am

Sounds like you are on the right track. I find that because the board is so efficient...it helps to get the board going at a good speed and then really point the center upwind. Pay attention to the board and your upwinding...and forget your normal twintip tendencies...the board will reward you.

Return to “Kitesurfing”