Forum for kitesurfers
bavdrftr318
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How to self rescue....

Postby bavdrftr318 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:26 pm

I've been out and got the lines tangled up. Basically I swim to the kite (pull myself in) and then deflate and swim. I haven't been able to grab both of the tips and use as a sail. Is there any tricks to doing this. I feel like the 12m is just too big to grab both of the tips and hold it to sail in.... what am I doing wrong?

Also, are there any good places you can point me to look for self rescue tips?

Thanks!

afflatus
Very Frequent Poster

Re: How to self rescue....

Postby afflatus » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:52 pm

no tricks really,

Kind of have to experiment on how to get it going your way...

As far as how you reach both ends at once, the answer is, you don"t you use the the lines...

and do experiment little changes can make a difference.

since your sitting on the kite grabbing the lines is not as bad as it sounds.

some kites have handles?

but don't deflate it, even if it;s off shore and you must kiss the bitch good bye,

leaving it inflated will make it easier to find,,,

you already know shit happens, made be get one of these CO2 pdf belts?
good luck...

just string the bitch along...
fo

and PS, light wind is what i'm talking about in high wind, better leave those lines alone...you're going in anyway, no need to risk a hot launch with a fist full of lines....not good.

just wait it out...in high winds

islandstylen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby islandstylen » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:22 pm

I have had to self rescue a bunch of times, kiting out by myself in remote places.
i pull myself to the kite with one of the lines, then if i can wrap up my lines while sitting on my kites leading edge, hook my feet over the leading edge and start swimming for shore. Have done this with kites from 8 to 14m. works for me

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Postby Kevin Salter » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:30 pm

The trick to getting both tips, is to go to one tip and fold it over, then work it along the leading edge till you get to the other tip. Some kites you may need to let a little pressure out off the leading edge, just enough so you can hinge a tip over.

The self rescue handles are usually close to the back of the leading edge near the wing tip. Hold one tip in each hand so that you are facing the kite. Lift the top hand up and let it go forward of the bottom hand to let the wind fill the kite.

It works best to leave your lines and bar out the back dragging behind you. It is quicker to go down a line to the kite rather than try and roll up lines, and you don't risk losing a finger if its windy.

Don't leave your board at the bar, take it with you and put it under the kite beneath the bottom kite tip. It helps lift the kite from the water a bit.

If you don't ride with a board leash, take off your kite leash and attach it to the board before you go down a line to the kite.

Dragging like this you get in fast and don't loose to much down wind. :thumb:

bavdrftr318
Frequent Poster

Postby bavdrftr318 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:17 pm

So just fold it over a little bit... then you just work your way to the other tip. If I understand you correctly you correctly the hinge point is constantly changing as you are running that tip over to the far side tip?

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:02 am

Sorry Fo, can't resist....
(Hey, at least it's colorful)..... :lol:

Self Rescue should be practiced BEFORE you need it!
Never deflate your kite unless absolutely necessary!
ONE PUMP USERS: ALWAYS LOCK OFF YOUR STRUTS WHEN SETTING UP!
C-Kites- grab rescue handles inside wingtips
Bow/Bridled kites- grab TOP bridle where it connects to front lines and lower wingtip area..
Standard Method-Wind at least one kite length (20-30’)on the bar to prevent relaunch, then wrap the rest of the lines until you reach the kite. Grab (what will be) your UPPER wingtip or bridle, and work your way to other wingtip by sliding leading edge under your arm with the other hand. Fill the sail with wind to pull yourself back to shore. Practice this on the beach, or in shallow water to find correct hand positioning-BEFORE YOU NEED IT! All kites have slight differences, practice this with each kite you own.

Offshore/Upwind method- that works well for "rescuing" in OFFSHORE winds, or going upwind for board retrieval, is to lay on leading edge of kite (wingtips in the air), with legs extended down center strut. You can easily overhand swim or "dog paddle" to your board, just don't do this in the waves! From there you can swim to shore or use traditional self rescue techniques. Both methods should be known and practiced before you need them.
RAFT Method- A popped leading edge bladder will force you to roll your kite up into a "raft" and secure with leash, lines, harness, or whatever you have. You then lay on the "raft" and swim in, after you find your board of course.
Board Retrieval
If you can’t body drag upwind to your board, Drag back to the beach and walk upwind, keeping an eye on your board, then drag back out and get it. Make sure to have your name on all gear in case it is lost, and post lost items on your local forum.
Do not kite alone! Experienced kiters are always helpful to those in need of assistance, and have been known to save lives on the water. Introduce yourself to locals and you will instantly have riding buddies and someone to watch your back. If you lost your kite, please notify local authorities, in case they are looking for you.
Image Image Image
More safety and rescue info here:
http://www.kiteboardingtampabay.com

right of way rules here:
http://www.kiteboardingtampabay.com/
Be safe! :bye:
Last edited by KiteboardingTampaBay on Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevin Salter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: 09 Eclipse Kima's, Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None ride what I like

Postby Kevin Salter » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:11 am

bavdrftr318 wrote:So just fold it over a little bit... then you just work your way to the other tip. If I understand you correctly you correctly the hinge point is constantly changing as you are running that tip over to the far side tip?
Yes thats the only way with most kites.

bavdrftr318
Frequent Poster

Postby bavdrftr318 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:22 am

AWESOME tips! Thanks guys!

Galeltic
Very Frequent Poster
Location: i m lost cause kiting adrenaline steal my soul with heart

Postby Galeltic » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:41 am

dont practice at too deep water cause u swim too much or lines wrap around u , either
practice at your waist deep water then upgradual , later :jump:

Mr_Weetabix
Frequent Poster

Postby Mr_Weetabix » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:10 am

Is there an upside to winding the lines up as you move towards the kite? I was told to wind one (inside) line around the bar for about a kite-width, then wind all four lines round the bar. Makes a rat's nest of the lines, and takes a while - so what's the point? Reduces the risk of getting caught in the lines if the kite takes off...?

Return to “Kitesurfing”