Local Beach: Holland
Favorite Beaches: Bergen, Cumbuco, Capetown, Maroochydore
Style: wave
Gear: North Rebel 2013 9m2 & 7m2
North Kontakt 6.0"
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What do the pro's ride in the waves??

Postby BBQFish » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:01 am

Eh Alan, i didn't ask about freestyle/ gymnastics dudes.

Just a question about what gear the high level wave guys ride, so that when i'm buying new gear this summer i won't get stuck with kites like the Rebel 2009 that are marketed as wave kites, but absolutely SUCK at that.

So i'm just looking for some good advise, which has been well argumented.

Been looking so far at:

Furia II
Eclipse Kima
Generator
Bandidos (however also a Delta shape..)

Even thinking of buying a Rebel 2007 back, they rocked.. :thumb:

bowkiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pipeline, Ala Moana Bowls, Rincon, Trestles, J-Bay, Cyclops
Favorite Beaches: Any beach that your mom is at
Style: No feetbelts,kickstraps or umbilicals
Gear: I ride your mom
Brand Affiliation: Affiliated to your mom

Postby bowkiter » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:54 am

Classic, you ask what the pros ride and all of a sudden every guy on the forum is telling you his set up. Most the pros ride what they get given.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:23 pm

bowkiter wrote:Classic, you ask what the pros ride and all of a sudden every guy on the forum is telling you his set up. Most the pros ride what they get given.
I dont think it is so...

In fact the opposite was my point.

For one, just like Peter P. says, there arent really (m)any pros when talking about waveriding :wink:

But the best riders, who are sponsored, usually has the whole quiver of the specific kite brand to choose from !

So no, I honestly dont think "pros ride what they get given" 8)
(maybe a small number in specific parts of the world yes, but not the majority)

When they ride waves, they will choose the kite that fits best for them (or given conditions), amongst the brand quiver :D

No company would ever be interested in pushing a kite for waveriding, that does not work, so it speaks for itself, at first thought.
Although, this is where it gets tricky, as different waveriders will choose different kites for their different styles and conditions - so there ARE maybe not any guideline to what works at all :wink:

And then we are back - you could push ANY kite, as there is not really any kite that is bad for waveriding - there will always be some who like a specific kite/style 8)

Still, I really believe that most pros choose the kite that work for them, and not what they "have to" choose.

Kindly, Peter Frank

-wAVe-
Frequent Poster

Postby -wAVe- » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:47 pm

BBQFish wrote:Eh Alan, i didn't ask about freestyle/ gymnastics dudes.

Just a question about what gear the high level wave guys ride, so that when i'm buying new gear this summer i won't get stuck with kites like the Rebel 2009 that are marketed as wave kites, but absolutely SUCK at that.

So i'm just looking for some good advise, which has been well argumented.

Been looking so far at:

Furia II
Eclipse Kima
Generator
Bandidos (however also a Delta shape..)

Even thinking of buying a Rebel 2007 back, they rocked.. :thumb:
Hey great topic - I too would like to know which kites rock in the waves

I have used Rebel 07 and Rebel 08 - great kites - however I like the powered, follow the kite type of waveriding as most of the time the waves are not that good or the wind direction is not right for park and ride. I would agree with BBQFish that the Rebels( 07 and 08), and lots of Flat kites, are not that good for powered, follow the kite riding, as the turning does not generate constant power like a C kite. (I have also tried the REV but really didn't like the low bar pressure/lack of feeling).

I tried the 08 EVO and that was great on the wave but the upwind ability was way less than a Rebel . I wander whether the 09 Evo will be better - this might be my choice if better upwind.

I also tried the 09 Vegas and that is very good for powered, follow the kite riding. Just not sure about having a C kite in very gusty 7m conditions - scary enough on a Rebel when it is really strong. Also don't think range of Vegas is as good. 08 7m Rebel has huge range.

I don't think it matters too much what the pros ride - eg unhooked/strapless - not good for rocky bay (no beach) with gusty cross off frontal winds.

I think we need recommended kite for each style of riding

Eg

Unhooked, constant wind, follow the kite- Airush Generator? Fuel? Vegas?

Hooked, Gusty, follow the kite - Delta Kite? Kima? DNA? Vegas?

Hooked, Gusty, Park the kite - Slingshot Rev? Cabrinha? Rebel? Flo?

This would be alot easier to understand for me as lost of people have different styles and argue about the best kite which doesn't make sense.

Johnt
Rare Poster

Postby Johnt » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:49 am

I have been riding the Core Combat GT in the waves - it is fast and reactive.

lobodomar
Frequent Poster

Postby lobodomar » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:08 am

Classic. 20+ answers and none actually saying what a given PRO rides in waves (unless some of the guys who answered are PROs under cover?)

The world champion Guilly Brandão rides a kite called Mormaii Waves II, second generation of the Mormaii Waves he used last year. I'm not sure but I think it's not for sale outside Brazil (but it's made in China of course). But you're not losing anything: the kite is nothing special, just a regular bow design (Mormaii is a bow licensee), and I suspect Mormaii entered the kite business more as a way of having colored outdoors swinging around for free in our beaches (they sell a bunch of other products, and also sponsor windsurf wave champion Kauli Seadi and lots of surfers).

jonibebadd
Medium Poster

Postby jonibebadd » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:54 am

a pro will make any kite work even a single line kite.
but really, the answer is Caution all the way. once used to the turning speed of Caution kites, no other kite will ever come close. bear in mind this is somewhat bias since im getting them at great discounts

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:35 am

A pro once told me that they ride top-secret, not for resale boards made of special composite materials developed from the Roswell wreckage. You're not even allowed to know of these ultra-performance, secret boards until you get your second pro sponsorship and your magic pro ring. After you've memorized the special pro mantra of performance, you are granted th limited right to one of the special pro boards.

You might as well just go ahead and buy a regular board....

Did I tell you they also have a special pro handshake and special pro Red Bull?

No mention of kites, just some vague reference to pixie dust and Tinkerbell. Figured that must be the code name for the pro designer.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:55 am

Windrider wrote:A pro once told me that they ride top-secret, not for resale boards made of special composite materials developed from the Roswell wreckage. You're not even allowed to know of these ultra-performance, secret boards until you get your second pro sponsorship and your magic pro ring. After you've memorized the special pro mantra of performance, you are granted th limited right to one of the special pro boards.

You might as well just go ahead and buy a regular board....

Did I tell you they also have a special pro handshake and special pro Red Bull?

No mention of kites, just some vague reference to pixie dust and Tinkerbell. Figured that must be the code name for the pro designer.
:rollgrin:

BBQFish
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Favorite Beaches: Bergen, Cumbuco, Capetown, Maroochydore
Style: wave
Gear: North Rebel 2013 9m2 & 7m2
North Kontakt 6.0"

Postby BBQFish » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:47 pm

Thanks wAVe, that helped alot.
Now i know what to go for a bit better, narrows it down.

For some riders it's hard to grasp that a wave kite isn't a caracteristic that covers the load anymore, brands will have to specify it more in their brochure in the future.
One wave kite isn't the other anymore.

As for Windrider, you should get your own show... :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”