stunaite
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Plantar pain

Postby stunaite » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:40 am

Hi Guys.

Some months ago I was training jumping a lot (It seems a good solution to avoid big whites impact). I was riding unsuitable board which was too big and with a poor flex. I started to feel some pain on my feet plantar but I just ignored it (big mistake). As long it wasincreasing I just tried to stop jumping (but in waveriding is almost impossible) and changed to a directional with B3 pads. Now, and after some months I feel the pain almost everyday in different situations. It is not strong and it doesn't stop me to be doing my activities (good luck I don't like running).

It seem to be plantar fascittis problem.
Any advise to solve this problem will be wellcome.

Regards

skipfrommichigan
Medium Poster

Re: Plantar pain

Postby skipfrommichigan » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:06 am

stunaite,

I had the same experience this summer. Jumping alot and felt the dull pain in the middle of my foot that I attributed to plantar fascittis. I was jacking up the running miles so I thought it was overtraining without stretching. I found out that was not the case - I had a deep bruise in the middle of my foot. After a few weeks off the board I was able to resume normal activities without the dull pain. It took me off my running and biking schedule for a three weeks so I suggest seeing a massage therapist or PE for a diagnosis.

Good luck.

Skip

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:50 pm

I got plantar fascittis from running barefoot on a hot dirt parking lot between sessions and a few sharp rocks bruised the bottoms of my heals and caused it. Now I wear some cheap well cushioned sandals and leave them on the beach while I'm on the water.

The orthopedic doctor told me to wear gel heal inserts in my shoes, stop running etc., and stretch my achilles tendons 6 times a day since he said it would relieve the pressure.

It worked but took 2 or 3 months for the pain to go completely away.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:07 pm

Good shoes, stretching, are important to prevent more injury. I suffered for 9 months with Plantar facittis The thing that Cured me in a Matter of 2 months was Prolotherapy. 1 month after my 1st therapy I could Run, Carefully. 2nd therapy I was able to run painfree.
I got Plantar Facittis by coming down hard with my heel on the toe rail of my boat, brused the heel, problibly chiped some bone, which caused a spur, which just aggervates it even more.

thebroz
Medium Poster

Postby thebroz » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:07 pm

I have had this several times this works well to fix the problem. Get a soda bottle fill it 2/3rds w/ water freeze it & ice the bottom of your foot, (from heel to ball) 2-3 times a day. Press & roll really hard on the ice bottle to stretch the tendon, you can also roll your foor over a golf ball to stretch the tendon. It is usually most painful getting out of bed in the morning.. You can also stretch your toes, pointing them staight up, you will feel it in the arch of your foot.

Making sure you have good arch support will help prevent re-occurance, don't walk around bare foot.

Return to “Kitesurfing”