Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot RPM

Forum for kitesurfers
shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Slingshot RPM

Postby shymac » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:29 pm

So we seen that the RPM is sick for the water but has any one tried one on the snow?

I have and I have just changed my mind. I used to fly only Fuels for the snow but now the RPM is my choice for sure.

All the performance of the Fuel but the RPM allows me to ride for hours without fatigue. The 12M is puckin sick!!!! Unhook, Glides, Freeride, range, relaunch. ITS ALL THERE!!!!

Just got back from the Soldier Mt Event in Idaho and I was able to get tons of riding time in and even some photos and video.

Since I'm the riderhotline guy I have made it my goal to make High Def videos going over simple "How To's" . My site is located on http://www.vimeo.com/user856825 under SLINGSHOTSPORTS

Here is a link to my latest vid about RPM WINTER RELAUNCH. Next video will be the feature and benefits RPM snowkite.

http://www.vimeo.com/3366482

:snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow:
Attachments
RPM.jpg
RPM.jpg (86.71 KiB) Viewed 6267 times

tatengue
Rare Poster
Local Beach: La Vila
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tatengue » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:27 am

tatengue wrote:What is the real range of the RPM? I have a rev 11 mts., and always a bit overpowered.Should the RPM 10 be a good option? Or should go for the rev 9 mts?
Thanks.

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.

Postby shymac » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:45 am

If you ride underpowered a lot on your 11m Rev go for the I2m RPM; If your powered up most of the time go with the 10m.

*Depending on your weight and board size. Stock 23m lines.

10MRPM 19-33kts
12MRPM 15-27kts

dlangpap
Rare Poster

Postby dlangpap » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:02 pm

Hi guys,

Nice tips about the RPM. I have been looking for reviews on the RPM as I am undecided between it and the REV 2 for riding waves primarily. Now I use a Fuel 11 but I have wanted to change it for a long time for a kite with more depower that allows me to "wait" for the waves and also a kite that doesn't "die" on me downwind as much as the Fuel. I ride primarily with on-shore conditions so I assume a kite flatter than the Fuel will fly better when completely downwind on the wind window (please correct me if I am wrong here). For the same reason, riding waves with on-shore wind, I also need a kite that reacts to bar input and turns extremely fast when downwind in the window, as I need to move it a lot and fast from one side of the window to the other when setting up for hitting the lip...

I have tried a REV 13 and found it to be a great kite, but I haven't tried it in waves. Apparently the RPM is a better kite for riding unhooked so that would be another plus for it. Regarding sizes, I have found that the 13 REV could replace my 15 Fuel so I don't know if the right size in RPM to replace that 15 would be a 12 RPM or a 14 RPM . Same goes for my 11 FUEL. What RPM size do you think would best replace that one, the 10 or the 8?

Summing up, I have a 2 kite quiver, a 11 and a 15 FUEL that I want to replace with either REVs or RPMs for riding waves predominantly. I will get a larger surfboard, 6' 2'' vs my current 5' 5''. I do need a kite for marginal conditions, around 12 knots, but I prefer to ride underpowered than with too big a kite. I am 155 lbs and before the RPM came out I was set on getting a 9 and 13 RPM. Given the characteristics, conditions and needs I have described, what RPMs would you recommend?

Any additional feedback on the RPM or REV for waves would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Kiteosphere
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kiteosphere » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:06 pm

I think you will be stoked on either kite REV or RPM for riding waves. Both kites are faster than the Fuel. Both kites will drift or float down wind with you if that is your riding style. Both kites are more powerful than Fuels on a comparable size basis and both kites will handle higher end of the wind range better. Based on your post I assume your Fuels are at least 2 seasons old. As you move to larger kite sizes you may need to loop the kite on your 2nd or 3rd hit to get the kite where you want it for the hit. (12M plus sizes) The RPM will be better unhooked. I haven't tried the 14M RPM yet but have one on order and am not expecting it to arrive for at least 2 weeks. I have flown the 8, 10 and 12M RPMs extensively in the waves and loved them. I have moved to RPMs from REVs this year but not because I was dissatisfied with REVs in any way, I just thought the RPMs were great kites and I wanted something new. As far as the kite sizes for your quiver and stated riding conditions and preferences that is a tough question for anyone but you to answer. Can you get a demo? That's always the best way rather than relying on someone else's opinion. At a minimum I would recommend a 1 size gap for a 2 kite quiver. The 10 RPM or 11 REV will have more low end and top end ability than the Fuel 11M. i.e. more range per size. The 13M REV will have more low end and top end than the 15M Fuel. I can't comment on the 14M RPM as stated above. For wave riding faster is better. Perhaps you should consider the 10RPM and the REV 13M. I think you would be stoked on that quiver.

As a footnote, when I got back to FL from my 2 month tropical vacation I was experimenting with my 10 RPM on the beach and one of my kite buddies showed up. He is one of the best wake style riders in north FL. I asked him if he wanted to try the kite and he said yes. I really didn't know what to expect because he typically hates almost every new kite he tries. I ride waves on a directional and rarely twin tip anymore and if you followed my thread above you know I liked the RPMs for wave riding. He went out in the inlet and was doing some of the most outrageous kite loops and F16s I've ever seen. I just watched in amazement for an hour and a half. When he came in he told me he thought the 10 RPM was probably the best kite he has ever flown. I totally respect his opinion because he can do it and do it with style.

So there you go, that's my 2 cents. Good luck with your selection but you'll be happy either way or maybe both ways.

Fatfish98
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Fatfish98 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:07 pm

Quick simple reply is:
REV for waves
RPM for easy freestyle (unhooked)

Sizes:
11 & 15 Fuel replaced by 14 & 10 RPM or 9 & 13 REVs.

You won't go wrong with 9 & 13 REV2's for waves....just ask Ben Wilson!!

Regards Stu

dlangpap
Rare Poster

Postby dlangpap » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:43 am

Thanks guys for your responses, they have certainly cleared the picture for me. Kiteosphere, you were right on the money, my Fuel 15 is a 2005 and the 11 a 2007. How did you guess they were older kites?
I guess the last question that remains is:
what kite is more powerful, the REV or the RPM? As I said, I have flown the REV 13 and would not want to go any bigger, especially with a hybrid-style kite. I have flown the 14 T3 and it was really a truck, fine for low winds but not something I would like to use in waves. Having said this, I fear the 14 RPM will be too big. So, if the RPM is more powerful than the REV, I know I will be fine with the 12 and the 8 (if the 12 RPM is powerful enough to ride with 12-13 knots), but if it's less powerful than the REV, I would have to go for 10 and 14. Maybe, Kiteosphere, as you say, the 10 RPM and 13 REV would be a good combination.

Thanks again,

DL

islandrideair
Rare Poster
Local Beach: west indies martinika
Favorite Beaches: indian & caraibes ocean
Style: wave & freestyle
Gear: f one , cabrinha, slingshot , da kine , mystic
Brand Affiliation: f one

Postby islandrideair » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:45 am

razorjack
Rare Poster
Gear: takoon, slingshot

Postby razorjack » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:37 pm

Hi !

I've tested RPM 8m2, wind was blowing almost 30knots, so the conditons were perfect :)

But, can you tell me more about RPM 12m2, can you compare RPM 12m2 to other kite like switchblade3 12 or ozone sport'08 11 or vegas'09 12?
(kites that i've tested)

Now i'm flying on Convert 12m2, good for freeriding and big jumps, but i'm searching something to learn more unhooked maneuvers (i've managed uh railey so far).

Some people worries that it can behaves like REV - poor higher range, poor upwind ability, kite sits deeply in wind window - these drawbacks are caused by large diameter of a main tube.
is that true?

razorjack

shymac
Very Frequent Poster

Postby shymac » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:56 pm

razorjack wrote:Hi !

I've tested RPM 8m2, wind was blowing almost 30knots, so the conditons were perfect :)

But, can you tell me more about RPM 12m2, can you compare RPM 12m2 to other kite like switchblade3 12 or ozone sport'08 11 or vegas'09 12?
(kites that i've tested)

Now i'm flying on Convert 12m2, good for freeriding and big jumps, but i'm searching something to learn more unhooked maneuvers (i've managed uh railey so far).

Some people worries that it can behaves like REV - poor higher range, poor upwind ability, kite sits deeply in wind window - these drawbacks are caused by large diameter of a main tube.
is that true?

razorjack
So since you took the 8m out, what did you think of it? Because 12m is very similar but bigger.

All sizes of the RPM preform well in their high end, and having the ability to stomp the kite even when its powered will allow you to edge up-wind like mad. I have taken the 12 powered with a 29 Lunacy and was racing up wind compared to the rest of the riders that were out that day. You can stomp these kites... Since you can stomp them they don't sit deep in the window. They really do have a nice smooth surge to the edge of the wind window once you put some board edge into it. Think C for performance but the add some of the benefits of the REV for shut-off and smooth power band and you have the RPM. REV-RPM-FUEL.

Return to “Kitesurfing”