Forum for kitesurfers
stickboy
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is this the norm?

Postby stickboy » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:55 am

curious...? Is this the norm to show up at a kite spot that you usually don't kite on a regular basis and just do what you want?

Today at a spot in So. Cal that I kite quite a bit, actually quite a lot, especially on weekends when our local spot is over-run. I go to set-up my kite and a guy just puts his stuff down right where I am going to lay out and attach my lines. No huge deal but, "hello", what was he thinking? I proceed to say, I guess not so nicely..., "you are in my way", and he makes some comments under his breath and moves. Yeah, duh!

Okay, that starts my session. Then some others who don't kite here are "going down-the-line" on hmmm, 2' waves right in front of the launch spot. Another person, whom I have never seen is throwing (and missing) handle passes right in the middle of things... I don't get it... This is acceptable?

I would be respectful of others if I were to go to "their spots", to which I rarely do. Maybe it is me? Maybe I don't understand that people should show some courtesy when showing up to others local places.

I haven't even mentioned the guy who while coming in got clotheslined by another local guy going out and created a bunch of drama.

Is this the norm? Isn't there plenty of ocean, plenty of beach to not kite on top of one another?

Is there some unwritten rule that everyone has to kite on-top of each other when there is usually miles of beach around in either direction?

waveknave
Frequent Poster

Re: Is this the norm?

Postby waveknave » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:25 am

Norm!

but... ''the trouble with normal is, it only gets worse''

Safe_Cracker
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Safe_Cracker » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:00 am

Today at a spot in So. Cal that I kite quite a bit, actually quite a lot, especially on weekends when our local spot is over-run. I go to set-up my kite and a guy just puts his stuff down right where I am going to lay out and attach my lines. No huge deal but, "hello", what was he thinking? I proceed to say, I guess not so nicely..., "you are in my way", and he makes some comments under his breath and moves. Yeah, duh!

Maybe he was looking for a buddy and you just ruined it for him ? :lol:

Polo..

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Postby panchito » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:34 am

Tarifa got like that , specially during our high season several years ago , you learn to live with it ... what I do is walk away as far as I can ,settle up , then go upwind as far as I can get .... kite in peace .... land my kite , pack it up and go home .

Saludos

switch313
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: none i travel.
Favorite Beaches: el medano, sotovento, pounta beach greece, , portland uk, some dominican spots, anywhere flat
Style: wakestyle, power,big air sometimes
Gear: c kites
Brand Affiliation: not really

Postby switch313 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:14 am

throwing handlepasses inbetween sets- i think waveriders should give way

kiter147
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rio Grande, Puerto Rico
Favorite Beaches: My own beach
Style: freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad, 9m/11m

Postby kiter147 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:35 pm

thats just how it is in crowded places most of the time
so what you have to do is just accept it and find a way around it

Windguy
Frequent Poster

Postby Windguy » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:56 pm

You live in California.........and yer bitchin about crowds. Perhaps you should browse on over to Penske and book a truck 8) . There are lots of places all across the US that have plenty of room.

Anglian
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Felixstowe, Suffolk, England
Style: Freeride Waves
Gear: SS Rpm 8m, Ozone Catalyst 12m Flexifoil Ion 2 6m, Cab S Quad 5'3 Circle One 6' pin tail both strapless ;-)

Postby Anglian » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:11 pm

panchito wrote:Tarifa got like that , specially during our high season several years ago , you learn to live with it ... what I do is walk away as far as I can ,settle up , then go upwind as far as I can get .... kite in peace .... land my kite , pack it up and go home .

Saludos
I went to Tarifa last summer, what a nightmare. Now I kite on the East Coast of England and very often on my own at a public beach and if you get 6 kites out it's busy but everyone who kites there has common courtesy and is thoughtful. Well when I got to Tarifa and counted over 90 kites in the air with about half that up on the beach, it turned out to be each man for themselves. Tarifa is a nice place as is I'm sure Southern California is, but I'm never going back in the middle of summer. It's just plain rude sometimes when people don't give way or kite down wind of you with their kite high up, or do tricks right in front of your line.

But thats life these days isn't it?

tristonjah
Medium Poster
Gear: Still rockin the 07's

Postby tristonjah » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:09 am

I believe every spot has a level of chaos... more in some spots due to kooks.

The only place that I know of that has any type of coordination is hawaii where you have to have respect for the lineup.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:06 am

unfortunately this sport seems to attract some f#^$%$ers.

Sometimes the meeting guys who does not keep their kite low is due to inexperience, sometimes it is pure ego...but yes there are a lot of egomaniac a$$holes, and the best way to avoid them is to try to not get worked up about it.

Now one thing we react to is when they endanger especially other beach users.

The lineup stuff here, has a very limited effect (except at mokes) since many kiters don't really surf and seem oblivious to giving way to people on a wave...

in anycase, our strategy is to try to talk with people, have rules and guidelines posted, if most of the rest of us try to be courteous it'll be all good.

a.

Return to “Kitesurfing”