Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

ex-Cabrinha riders, what're you riding??

Forum for kitesurfers
surfboy1968
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: ex-Cabrinha riders, what're you riding??

Postby surfboy1968 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:04 pm

Rode SB2 and Xbow3.
Now ride SS Revs. :thumb:

bx
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby bx » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:30 pm

I also changed to RRD from Cabrinhas. From XBow2, Contra2 and Contra3 I went via RRD Type9 and HT2 to Obsessions. It was a very noticeable change for me, because XBow2 and Contras had pulley bars, were relatively slow (sizes 12 and 14) and with a good amount of bar pressure.
RRD felt very fast and light in steering (both sizes 9 and 12), it was nice to see the kite respond to my input immediately. Well, Type9 9m2 was almost too fast for me (in my 1st year).

The RRD Global bar 2008 has worked very well for me, used the same bar on both 9m2 and 12m2 kites almost all season long. It could be seen, of course, that the mini 5th line and the central line that goes through clamcleat had a 'used' look, but just normal wear, never had any of them cause any problems.

Self launch has been easy with any of the above mentioned RRD kites.

The RRD Global bar 2008 left some power in kite even when fully depowered, but I have taken the 9m2 out in 30 knot winds (a bit more in gusts), and the depower was more than enough for me to absorb the gusts (me weighing ~210lbs).

The Global bar 2009 offers more depower, but I haven't tried it in stronger winds. I am using my Obsessions 9 and 12 with 2008 bars and don't feel like I should change them to 2009.

kiterfighter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiterfighter » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:42 pm

I know ride the 08 BEST Yarga exclusively. It is thier best effort. Everyone should try this kite at least once. It will be a revelation.

tukyank
Frequent Poster

Postby tukyank » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:00 pm

I've switched to Ocean Rodeo Rise.
Originally I switched due to quality issues (4 out of 4 Cabs had major damage caused by what were relatively normal crashes into the water), but know that I'm used to the faster turning and more responsive rise - I'll never go back.

To be honest - all kites are great, you just need to find one that meets most of your needs and you need to give it some quality time on the water to get used to it.
For me, it was durability, product availability and fun factor....though, to be honest, it took several sessions for me to get used to the Rise and really enjoy it, as it was quite different than my Cab xbow and SB.

kiterfighter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiterfighter » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:32 pm

So right... The 08 Yarga had 4 years of design engineering going into it. Can you imagine how good it is? How could a company not produce a perfect kite after that much development time? I mean they would have to have the biggest idiots on the planet not to have it totally dialed in by then! You really should try this kite, you will love it. Bows are dead.

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 9m2
Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 13m2
Cabrinha Imperial 2008 128 board
Brand Affiliation: Promotes Cabrinha for the national distributor.

Postby Kosh » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:57 pm

Bows aint dead, my Crossbow IDS's kites are flying nicely :D
But, both your comment, and my comment, are offtopic.

nomorebikinis
Frequent Poster

Postby nomorebikinis » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:32 pm

very good topic. I am just a beginner and have 3, 2008 Switchblades. During my kitelessons I tried a lot of Best kites but felt really uncomfortable with them. I think that the kite branch you will choose after Cabrinha also depends in what stage of kiting you are in (i presume): beginner-intermediate- etc. There is 1 kite I never forgot after testing it: Airusch DNA. Before I switch into whatever branchm, I really want to retry the DNA because of its simplicity and just the way the kite feels: comfortable, fast in turning, smooth, good grip.

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:49 pm

Hey Dr and BX,

Thanks for the reply. I am considering the 2009 Obsession maybe this summer. I am recovering from a broken ankle and the amount of de-power is a big factor.

One more question would be what sizes would make a perfect quiver? I am 225lbs. and I kiteboard in very light wind to mid 30mph. 15,12 & 9 meter or 15,10.5 & 7 ?

Clew In

kiterfighter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiterfighter » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:04 am

Not saying Bows are dead, just that if you move on from that style of kite, the 08 BEST Yarga is the way to go. Anybody who has flown this terrific kite knows it. It has years of design in it. I don't understand why they sell for so cheap, even for a C kite they go for almost nothing! Its' almost as if the sellers don't like them. But that can't possibly be it. Owners Must have died or something! Anybody here back me up on this? Come on tell it like it is!

Fer1000er
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Takoon

Postby Fer1000er » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:16 am

Good Topic !,

I was using Xbow since 2005, never switched because I felt was a perfect kite for me, Right now I have xbow3 7,9,12.....

I decided is time for a change, I went to try different kites, but always I come back to my xbows,
one month ago, I tried something that fit me perfectly, was a Takoon Nova3, the same depower that xbow, not pulleys on bar, but still some pressure....the turning was faster and smooth, and not arm consumer...also the jumps were excellent, in altitude and hang time....

Takoon is not a kite I can buy in my country right now, but still looking forward to replace my xbows with takoon Nova or something similar...

I tried Bandit2, very nice kite, but not inmediatly depower like I want

Would love to read more about xbows users that are trying new things

Fernando

Return to “Kitesurfing”