Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

ex-Cabrinha riders, what're you riding??

Forum for kitesurfers
Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

ex-Cabrinha riders, what're you riding??

Postby Windrider » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:24 am

There's a person here that has grown up on Cabrinha bows, owned nuthin' but since day 1. He is now looking for alternatives, but doesn't seem to be happy with other kites he's flown. He likes the near-0 -to- full power range that the Cabbie's apparently give you by bar movement alone.

Just wondering what kites the ex-Cabrinha riders are riding, so I can pass word on to him about what to try....

,,, as fas as I know, its the Cab pricing that's encouraging him to look for alternatives.....

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Re: ex-Cabrinha riders, what're you riding??

Postby prayfawind27 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:20 am

Air Rush D,N,A, but moving onto Eclipse. Cabrinha is way to expensive that's why i moved on too

gibsonandpickett
Frequent Poster

Postby gibsonandpickett » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:26 am

Was a Cab kiter, but to expensivenow. Changed to Takoon Furias and now going to demo eclipse thrusters. Will be hard to beat the takoon. :lol:

gotwind
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Flats, Tunnels, Wailua, The Pu, Kingdoms
Favorite Beaches: The Flats,Tunnels, and Waiehu
Style: wakestyle
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Airush Team Rider

Postby gotwind » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:29 am

Airush Vopr III's. I rode the first switchblades which couldnt unhook and felt like your doing pullups when u ride. The new IDS SB is a pretty fun kite though.

schmoe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby schmoe » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:57 am

I switched to ion2 from the bow, huge improvement. Great depower. Maybe not as much as a crossbow, but still huge. If you consider tuning options on the kite, then maybe it close to a crossbow. Another bonus is top quality construction which I am afraid to say some cabrinha kites did not have (regardless of their price). The ion2 is such a nice kite its not funny. Super simple systems and bridle, the opposite of cabrinhas. Every thing works smoothly. Ion3 I heard is not the magic kite that the ion2 was, so I did not upgrade. Those kites last and last. Having said that SB3 is an awesome kite.

kakanala
Frequent Poster

Postby kakanala » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:27 am

In september 08 I tried the Wainman Hawaii Rabbits.
I immediately sold my Switchblade IDS kites and moved to Wainman.
Better construction, great wind range, more direct feeling, incredible performances and it all in a simple, not over-engineered package.

Recently I rode one of my ex-SBs and, amazingly, I felt it odd and boring.

6 months ago I'd find impossible to be saying this.

And I pay for what I ride.

Massai
Rare Poster

Postby Massai » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:30 pm

After my Crossbows 07 i tried a switchblade 08 and the bandit 08.. in 1 session i knew that the bandit was the perfect kite for me...

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:02 pm

I started on SB1, then had SB2's in 10 and 14m
Changed to Royal Era, but is now with great pleasure riding RRD Obsessions

RRD Obsession just smoke all kites I owned and tried so far!
Great power, great depower and fast turning speed.

I also tried Eclipse Truster and Takoon Furia. Although nice kites, I am sure he will find they lack grunt compared to Cabrinhas. They are sailed in another way I think.

Bandit Dos would be fun to try. Think it is very like RRD Passion that also use the D-shape invented by F-One - but now used by many.

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:33 pm

Hey Dr. Rossen,

How do you like the RRD bar? Have you had any trouble with the line wearing like the IDS? How does the kite flag out? Do you self launch with it and how does it act? How is the de-power in high winds?

Clew In

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:54 pm

Clew In wrote:Hey Dr. Rossen,

How do you like the RRD bar? Have you had any trouble with the line wearing like the IDS? How does the kite flag out? Do you self launch with it and how does it act? How is the de-power in high winds?

Clew In
I generally like the bar a lot. Good grip etc. Your questions:
- I do not know anything about IDS, so cannot compare. However I use just one bar for both my Obsession so it is used a lot. So far no wearing problems.
- Flag out: Well I removed the "5th line" flag out line as it was just in the way. I ride in "suicide" I think it's called. If I need to flag out I will use one of the two OS handles on the back lines.
- De-power in high winds: There is a lot of depower throw. Too much for my taste so I have added a moveable stopper ball to reduce the throw. If I feel to overpowered I move the stopperball up and have lots of depower. That's why I feel I do not need the 5th. So for freestyle add a stopper ball I would say. For wave riding and for safety, there is plenty of depower in the bar throw,
- I have self launched several times with a stick to attach the CL to. No problem at all. Never tried self landing with out a stick (never do).

Does that answer your questions? If not, just ask again :D

Personally I liked the Cabrinha bars as well, with the build in safety by pushing through, but it could have benefitted from a moveable stopper ball as well.

Return to “Kitesurfing”