Forum for kitesurfers
bavdrftr318
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Megaloop technique question...

Postby bavdrftr318 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:29 pm

Awesome information. I'm still not sure if you actually let the kite go behind you as you as swinging underneath it on the way down for a super soft landing? Does the kite go directly overhead or does it actually go slightly behind the rider (past the zenith)?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:11 pm

One important note here:

Maybe it LOOKS like the kite is just swung back and around in one move...

But this is definitely not the case, and it might go horribly wrong if you do so :roll:

One thing is sure - it will NEVER become a megaloop if you do it like that :wink:

You have to make a jump to get max height, so you must NOT pull the kite back too early, and never in one single move (well, you can, but it'll become a totally different trick and not a megaloop).

When approaching the apex of the jump, you can loop the kite.

Some makes a normal max jump, and then decides to make a kiteloop or not, at the apex.
Others start looping the kite a bit earlier - so they have to decide on the way up.

No matter what - when the kite is fully around, and you have sufficient height to get the kite to "catch" you (meaning fully around and about 12 again), you will get a (relatively, as you might have loads of speed) soft landing, no matter if the kite is overhead or past overhead.
The problem straight overhead though, will be that your lines get slack and you "underride" the kite.
If you have the kite past 12, and maybe loop it around twice - you will get firm lines and a much better (and easier) "finish".

I dont really agree with those saying you need a fast (turning) kite - as I havent seen any newer kites that can not make a kiteloop easily :thumb:

Kindly, Peter Frank

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:12 pm

Andrew,

I´m not doing mega loops, but was at your level before last summer. You are doing all the right preparations. I´m doing bigger hooked in loops now, landing with kite jsut catching me.

Start doing small jumps and just as you start to drop, loop kite from 12 hard. You may hit water before kite loops. You´ll land smooth with speed over water,
Key is to POINT THE BOARD DOWNWIND. When you loop, look back over your back shoulder- this will twist your hips downwind and prepare you for direction change.

Once you are doing higher jumps, you can still loop it just as you reach apex. Now you have to have cajones to let kite lines go slack a second- kite sort of stalls
in postion about 270 around, then as you freefall and lines tighten the kite will whip around the last 90 and catch you. In beginning it is scary to see/feel lines go slack
and kite is not around- so you bail out and get slammed. You gotta get kite around 270, and freefall until lines get tension to bring kite around.
You must have the board position and all the other body position stuff down first before attempting this.

Your still gonna get some bruises.

Once i slammed down with board pointing upwind, even footed. I stretched my achilles tendons a lot, knees hurt, and felt like i ripped straps out with my feet. i was close to getting really hurt..
These users thanked the author TomW for the post:
Guttorm (Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:25 am)
Rating: 3.03%

GungaDin
Medium Poster

Postby GungaDin » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:02 am

<<I dont really agree with those saying you need a fast (turning) kite - as I havent seen any newer kites that can not make a kiteloop easily >>
<<Kindly, Peter Frank>>

Peter; How about some are better than others. How do I know that .... :)

Everyone here nailed it! Very good advice

1. Consider getting an impact vest (one good impact to a rib can cause weeks of discomfort or worse put you out of commission)
2. Get ready for some crashes, even if you made your first one, they dont always work out. (wind can be fickle)
3. Get ready for some serious speed. Have lots of downwind room, especially in the beginning so you can judge required distance
4. Your first ones should not be in shallow water where it is possible to hit bottom. Toastyn is good where he is landing is relatively shallow

Hang On & Have fun

J

Ivel
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: mostly strapless surfboard
Gear: not panzy bow kites

Postby Ivel » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:37 am

i do megaloops on 15m lines on a 10 torch. its sick you get above the kite . im too chicken to attempt it with long lines tho.main thing is you gotta be lit and commit fully. your going to slam HARD so wear a wetsuit for impact protection. i find impact vests to be too bulky. And definitly have a safety meeting beforehand :cool2:

bavdrftr318
Frequent Poster

Postby bavdrftr318 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:50 am

Cool so doing it on shorter lines actually makes it easier?

ian c
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ian c » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:33 am

I never read much above but mega loop to me is about 2 things -

throwing it in at least 25 knots preferably 30 knots +, and trying to get the kite level with you more or less.

It is high risk which is why some riders don't like to do them due to knee explosion if it does not catch you. A friend exploded his knee a few months ago...

For sure a megaloop is not a kiteloop, and doing a mobe is WAY safer...

Don't claim a mega loop when it is not you will only look silly!

As for technique you want to have been doing a lot of kiteloops for a while before you pull the trigger in over 25 knots and try and get the kite level. Good skills will keep you from slamming hard.

ToastSYN
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: anywhere on Maui
Favorite Beaches: Ka'a Point, Matanzas Inlet
Style: overpowered
Gear: Royal Era 8m, Torch 7m, Obession 7m, 9m
Brand Affiliation: Mercenary

Postby ToastSYN » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:52 am

I wouldn't call a loop on short lines <17m-20m a megaloop. Its more just a psycho kiteloop. I've done a few on 10m lines and I honestly can say it freaks me out. I also almost exploded my legs on one where I went over the kite for sure and had it fold on me. Its not a good feeling flying into your lines with your kite already on the water and your still 10 feet up. I ripped one of my footstraps in half when I landed. luckily I walked away from it.

just finished this. I forgot to add that I do mine hooked in. I've dislocated both shoulders a few times while I was growing up and they're not forgiving if I get yanked by my arms.

If your considering trying these you've obviously accepted that your risking eating it hard. I suggest a thick pair of cargo shorts or some other nut protection also.

ERIC's....

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dr_Rosen » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:59 am

Ivel wrote:i do megaloops on 15m lines on a 10 torch. its sick you get above the kite . im too chicken to attempt it with long lines tho.main thing is you gotta be lit and commit fully. your going to slam HARD so wear a wetsuit for impact protection. i find impact vests to be too bulky. And definitly have a safety meeting beforehand :cool2:
I have sometimes looped the kite hooked in and just edged the board until pulled out of the water. That brings me above my kite, or al least in line with it. It don't know how adviseable it is to do that hooked in???

endorphin
Frequent Poster

Postby endorphin » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:59 am

Loops, MegaLoops, long+short lines...

MegaLoops are way more massive than normal kiteloops, doesn't depend on line lenght!
if you're crazy enough you can do sick megaloops, like Aaron does, in ++30knots on a 18m lines.
I wouldn't even consider saying: "i do megaloops" because it sounds embarrassing ;) except i would be Aaron or Ruben - because they definitively do sick megaloops.

The turn-speed of a kite doesn't even matter - for kiteloops it is only important that your kite flys fast through the wind-window!

On short lines your kiteloops are less dangerous because you get less height, get catched earlier and you land them with less speed.

The dangerous part of doing kiteloops is when you learn them and have painful wipeouts.
If you survived theses learning-phase, got some skills and have a good trimmed kite plus enough wind, kiteloops are still risky but not that hard to do.

If you have a fast kite and enough wind you're kite should catch you even when looping it very low.
This was on my 6m on 20m lines (very fast prototype-kite) and yes it catched me.
Another picture better shows that there was enough wind to get caught easier by your kite

Return to “Kitesurfing”