Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Long term (10 yr+) health effects from kiteboarding impacts?

Forum for kitesurfers
laz
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Long term (10 yr+) health effects from kiteboarding impa

Postby laz » Sat May 01, 2010 5:34 pm

What are some simple stretches that you can do to help prevent injuries?

My back has been hurting not sure if its just new muscles since i have been riding around 3-4 days a week sometimes more in lake michigan chop now that i am out of school.

I switched from a dakine harness to a top of the line 09 LF harness which helps a little but i think doing some more stretches would help out allot.

What are some stretches that you do? let me kno

thx

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Sat May 01, 2010 11:29 pm

58 old fart, 8 years kiteboarding and no special long term accumulative injuries (besides chocking if no wind for more than two weeks) :D

A good practice to avoid back problems is using a seat harness. At least works for me and worked for younger guys having back problem that followed the advise.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sun May 02, 2010 4:24 am

Chirojoe (Dr. Joeseph Will), prepared a stretching guide specific for kiting. He has been on here for many years. It is available at: http://www.kiteboardmexico.com/english/ ... _loose.htm

I second the comments about seat harnesses. Something about waist harnesses causes back irritation for some while a good seat harness works without problems.

switch313
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: none i travel.
Favorite Beaches: el medano, sotovento, pounta beach greece, , portland uk, some dominican spots, anywhere flat
Style: wakestyle, power,big air sometimes
Gear: c kites
Brand Affiliation: not really

Postby switch313 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:46 pm

laz wrote:marijuana helps heal my kite injuries haa

haha i think thats why its gone so far without me noticing too many painful side effects, i was smoking before and after riding. it kills the pain but i dont do that shite anymore its bad for your head!

jrfiol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cayo Enrique, La Parguera; Montones Beach, Isabela; Dorado Beach, Dorado.
Favorite Beaches: Not yet.
Style: waverider, freestyle
Gear: Slingshot RPM 10, Darko 135. I also have a Liquid Force Havoc 12 and Rally 14M.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jrfiol » Mon May 03, 2010 1:04 am

after kiting for a year, i tore my meniscus during a simple mislanding on a jump. i have surgery tomorrow.

i was told to expect mild arthritis as a long term effect of the injury... so i guess you can tear your meniscus walking down the steps, right?

for me, the sport has caused a long term situation with my knee. but this cannot be qualified as a long term side effect for all kite boarders.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Mon May 03, 2010 3:27 am

Good luck with your surgery and rehab, hope things go well and heal rapidly. With good PT and post op practices you might well keep arthritis at bay for sometime. There are lots of messed up knees in kiting, some from that activity while more likely for other pursuits. Basketball seems to take out a ton of knees. Case in point, this fellow had a good shot at getting on the USA Olympic Ski Team. Unfortunately, he had skied so well and aggressively, he had about destroyed both knees. This took him out of the running for the team sad to say. He looked around and thought about getting into kiting. The rest is history.

Took this shot six years ago at the Jupiter comp. Checkout the knee brace. He had just got on board with Cabrinha.

Here's another shot also at Jupiter, several years later. Knee issues seem to be in the past.

Looking good Damo!
jrfiol wrote:after kiting for a year, i tore my meniscus during a simple mislanding on a jump. i have surgery tomorrow.

i was told to expect mild arthritis as a long term effect of the injury... so i guess you can tear your meniscus walking down the steps, right?

for me, the sport has caused a long term situation with my knee. but this cannot be qualified as a long term side effect for all kite boarders.

kiterMD
Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle
Gear: 2006 North Vegas 16m, 9m
2006 North Rhino 12m
2007 Flexi Ion2 14.5m
2006 LF Element 140, 2007 Escalades
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kiterMD » Mon May 03, 2010 3:27 pm

laz wrote:What are some simple stretches that you can do to help prevent injuries?

My back has been hurting not sure if its just new muscles since i have been riding around 3-4 days a week sometimes more in lake michigan chop now that i am out of school.

I switched from a dakine harness to a top of the line 09 LF harness which helps a little but i think doing some more stretches would help out allot.

What are some stretches that you do? let me kno

thx

A kiter and physical therapist (DPT) regularly updates her website with exercises for stability and injury prevention/recovery. http://www.perfectlyfitonline.com

She has also posted some kiter-specific stuff on the local shop website
http://www.catchsomeair.us/articles/tip ... fing.shtml
http://www.catchsomeair.us/articles/tip ... ding.shtml

on facebook as Perfectly Fit

RickI
Very Frequent Poster

Postby RickI » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:18 pm

I just received Sarah's guide from Perfectly Fit, it is a good reference to have. She seems to be both concerned and informed about kiter injury and avoidance, a good combination to have on your side.

On the home front, my wrists have healed slowly over the last couple of years but I am able to go kiting again without discomfort with a larger kite in low winds. Higher wind kiting with smaller kites has been less painful given the lighter bar pressures. These tendon and ligament tears heal slowly best advice is to avoid them through moderation, proper warm up, down avoiding excess bar pressure and the like.

Any other long term kiting injury experiences and solutions out there that folks would like to talk about? Lots of good information has already come out through this thread.

Stevo71
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Point Chevalier
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai, "The Spit", Eastern beach, Maungawhai
Style: Freestyle, Freeride, trying anything
Gear: Ozone 2011 c4's, Underground 2011 Styx
Brand Affiliation: NZ Board Store

Postby Stevo71 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:25 am

Ive had a similar problem from kiting and ice hockey.

Sorry I cant help you with a link to some back stretches but the advice I was given is that it could be your back muscles over compensating for other muscles.

It doesnt mean that your other muscles are weak, it just means your back might be doing more work comparatively.

Trying doing exersices to work out your other core muscles (ab's and oliques).

If your core muscles are balanced then they should all be able to share the load.

Hope this helps

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:42 am

i started to wonder abou the very heavy landings - they are sort of damped by water boards flex etc but the forces can be huge. I just had an mri on my ankle and bone is all mushed up/bruised at the ankle joint not looking too great - cartilage is a mess/spilt. just taking too long to sort itself out - there is a deadline for amputation/fusion!

Return to “Kitesurfing”