Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How do I choose a kite that is right for me?

Forum for kitesurfers
Keven
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Jupiter/Tampa
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How do I choose a kite that is right for me?

Postby Keven » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:49 am

Quick Bio:

Way back before kiteboarding was popular in Florida, I discovered it in France. I ended up buying a 6 meter Seismick kite. I used it a few times, but usually when there was wind there was also surf so I would end up surfing. I also never mastered going up wind with it so I felt like I always needed a boat around. Well this was a pain so I never caught on to it. Well now kites are much larger and MUCH MUCH cheaper. I am thinking its a good time to get back into the sport.

I want a kite that I can use in most conditions. I wont be able to use it too much, but I am willing to sacrifice some performance for a kite thats better all around( but probably more on lower wind conditions). I have plenty of wakeboards and some surfboards with straps, and a harness. I would like to incorporate some wake tricks in kiteboarding, and also need a kite I can operate myself if the need be. I looked quickly on craigslist and found a few larger kites for cheap, and relatively new. Why is this? Back when I bought my 6 meter it was expensive as hell, and then prices dropped when it started booming in Florida (like $1400 for a 10 meter). Would something like this be good?:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/spo/1021702773.html
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/spo/1055056154.html
http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/spo/1042285408.html

Sorry for so many vague questions, just trying to figureout what I need to get going again.

Oh and im 6'0" , 175 pounds

panchito
Very Frequent Poster

Re: How do I choose a kite that is right for me?

Postby panchito » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:46 am

I would suggest , you contact your local kite shop / school and get some " reintroduction " lessons into the sport , also the best personl to answer all your questions will be your teacher .

The kites you listed above ...
1) is way to big for your weight and is Ko ( kite only ) you´ll need a bar
2 + 3 ) are C kites = bad low end & short wind range .

Go to your local spot and watch which kites / sizes people are using for the given conditions you are planning to kite , ask around & talk to the guys , here in the forums if you ask for x brand you may end getting the typical pimp / bash answers .

I would say , if you are planning to kite with a surfboard , a 10 / max 12 m kite should be enough ( as a one kite quiver ) in that case is better you go for a modern 2008 / 2009 kite , that way you get a guarantee and if you treat you kite decently you have a good kite for several years.

Have fun & regards from Spain

Saludos

Franz

FELIPEUY
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Playa Malvín. Cabarete. Jericacoara
Style: New School
Gear: North Rhino, North Vegas

Postby FELIPEUY » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:26 pm

Hi,
panchito wrote:The kites you listed above ...
1) is way to big for your weight and is Ko ( kite only ) you´ll need a bar
2 + 3 ) are C kites = bad low end & short wind range
I totally agree with Panchito.... I must add also:

C kites, especially older ones, are not that good for waves (too little depower)

Also you mentioned your height and weight, in which conditions are you planning to use your kites?? On one hand you used a 6 meter Kite, and now you are seeking for a 14m Kite??
What is lower wind conditions in your area? 10-12 knots? Or more??

Once again, as Panchito said, I advice you to get a newer kite, and a 10-12m max, that can be ridden between 12 to 25 knots such as a North Rebel (Bow, or more hybrid kites)

Buenos vientos!

:thumb: :thumb:

FckGravity
Frequent Poster
Style: Wakestyle/Freestyle
Gear: Flexi HadlowPro's
Brand Affiliation: Crazyfly Team Rider

Postby FckGravity » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:32 pm

FELIPEUY wrote: 2 + 3 ) are C kites = bad low end & short wind range

C kites, especially older ones, are not that good for waves (too little depower)
Honestly dude, ignorant comments. (both to your and panchito's) I am heavier than most of the guys I ride with (I mean my age, Im only 18) and they are pretty much the same size as all of the SLE and Bow riders at my beach. My biggest kite is a 13m Hadlow, theirs are all 14m Torchs or 14 Vegas and honestly we get going in less than they do on 14 and 16 SLE/Bows. This whole low end thing is a bunch of shit.

To the second comment I have to call BULLSHIT you are supposed to take out a smaller kite in the waves (for instance 5-9m) and work it tons and you don't depower it. Watch a video or something dude, or maybe try it? You unhook and ride the wave freely and underpowered so that you can SURF the wave.

ADEN
Medium Poster

Postby ADEN » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:32 pm

FckGravity wrote:
FELIPEUY wrote: 2 + 3 ) are C kites = bad low end & short wind range

Honestly dude, ignorant comments. (both to your and panchito's) I am heavier than most of the guys I ride with (I mean my age, Im only 18) and they are pretty much the same size as all of the SLE and Bow riders at my beach. My biggest kite is a 13m Hadlow, theirs are all 14m Torchs or 14 Vegas and honestly we get going in less than they do on 14 and 16 SLE/Bows. This whole low end thing is a bunch of shit.

To the second comment I have to call BULLSHIT you are supposed to take out a smaller kite in the waves (for instance 5-9m) and work it tons and you don't depower it. Watch a video or something dude, or maybe try it? You unhook and ride the wave freely and underpowered so that you can SURF the wave.
true true true true true...i 100% agree with you!

i ride c-kites (07 fuels,) i weigh 55kg and i can ride and stay upwind on my 9m in 8-9knots (no joke.) with a 13m rev i can get going in 7knots...so if i had a 13 fuel i could get going in much less.
i dont know why so many people dont like c's... honestly i know so many people that have switched to c-kites, with the 5th line youve got 1000% depower (when activated qr to the 5th line,) the top end is also good because you can trim/ depower the kite even more with the 5th line without the kite acting strangely.
anyway when surfing with a kite and your unhooked you dont have depower so therefor you could ride a 2-liner...and also what fckgravity said your gonna want a smaller kite in the surf..no bigger than 9m.

regards.

Keven
Rare Poster

Postby Keven » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:31 pm

Thanks for all the responses. However, some of the kites that are being recommended are out of my price range. That liquid force I posted, is that too large for me in 10-15 knot winds? Can I use a wakeboard for kiteboarding? I think I need to reiterate that cheap is a big factor here and that I wont be using the kite all that often because I am busy with school and also participate in a bunch of other sports. Basically I want something for fun days when I want to go sailing but realize my hobie cat is a piece of ****. 14m too big?

ken from Parksville
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Parksville, Qualicum Beach and Sometimes Nitnat
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras, Waves, Rodanthe
Style: clumsy
Gear: 16m C

Postby ken from Parksville » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:02 pm

Ask the riders directly! What do you want to do with the kite and what kind of wind....this will largley dictate the kite. I am a relatively new rider with a 16C and I took this to Hatteras NC and found that for the wind I was almost overpowered. And teh fifth line is so easy for relaunch however if you roll your kite your in for some real challenges to get back to shore. I have been asking around and I think I am going to switch to the bet Kahoona wit the new redline bar. I am 6 ft 215lbs. I like my c and in the right conditions I have a blast....but now I think it is time for a gear change to advance my rising level.
Cheers

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:07 pm

Keven,
For most riders 14knots is the starting point whereby you will be able to go upwind and use a mid size kite ie 12m and a fast rockered board. Anything under 14knots is starting to get very light and for most people is not possible if they only have the basics. Personally i think the windrange you should be looking for is the 14 to 20knots.
Next is the kite gear... if you want a kite which is headache FREE then get yourself an easy to use kite which water relaunches super easy, is stable in the sky, and has solid forgiving performance. For example the 200812m Cabrinha Convert meets that description. I am sure you can pick up a 2008 model for a great price and it will be the best purchase you have ever made in that it just makes kiting SUPER EASY (once you have had lessons **** very important***).
What you do NOT want to do is buy a kite where you think you have saved money, only to find that the kite is very difficult to fly, or struggles to water relaunch, or has a poor safety system etc etc. This will only discourage you and put you back to square 1.

Another 2 kites which if you come across are solid buys would be the;

12m Slingshot Turbo Diesel and 12m Cabrinha Crossbow. Both of these kites are bow kites and besides from having a heavier bar pressure which is noticed more so in the turning of the kite, provide a very forgiving ride. The Convert however in my opinion is the most ideal of the 3 because it can be used in 1:1 which is more ideal for unhooking.

Good luck and remember dont just look at the kites price tag.

Keven
Rare Poster

Postby Keven » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:21 pm

IWB2 wrote:Keven,
For most riders 14knots is the starting point whereby you will be able to go upwind and use a mid size kite ie 12m and a fast rockered board. Anything under 14knots is starting to get very light and for most people is not possible if they only have the basics. Personally i think the windrange you should be looking for is the 14 to 20knots.
Next is the kite gear... if you want a kite which is headache FREE then get yourself an easy to use kite which water relaunches super easy, is stable in the sky, and has solid forgiving performance. For example the 200812m Cabrinha Convert meets that description. I am sure you can pick up a 2008 model for a great price and it will be the best purchase you have ever made in that it just makes kiting SUPER EASY (once you have had lessons **** very important***).
What you do NOT want to do is buy a kite where you think you have saved money, only to find that the kite is very difficult to fly, or struggles to water relaunch, or has a poor safety system etc etc. This will only discourage you and put you back to square 1.

Another 2 kites which if you come across are solid buys would be the;

12m Slingshot Turbo Diesel and 12m Cabrinha Crossbow. Both of these kites are bow kites and besides from having a heavier bar pressure which is noticed more so in the turning of the kite, provide a very forgiving ride. The Convert however in my opinion is the most ideal of the 3 because it can be used in 1:1 which is more ideal for unhooking.

Good luck and remember dont just look at the kites price tag.
Awesome post! How much do the kites you recommended sell for used?

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:17 pm

Kevin,
I am always a little reserved about buying USED when it comes to sports such as kiting as you really don't know how the kite has been treated and in general kites take a quite a bit of abuse whether it be from the elements, or from the rider. Yes, you may get lucky and not have any problems, but then again you may buy something which again will only provide headaches due to problems encountered with the gear based on how the previous owner treated the gear. If i was going to buy used it would be from a friend that I knew and trusted and definately NOT someone I didnt know, who would sell you anything as long as you were paying.
My recommendation would be to go NEW as you know what you are getting and in some cases you may get a warranty even for 08 gear which in most cases you will never need but nice to rely on in the rare case something does go wrong. There are some awesome deals going where in reality you may pay a bit more for new but you are getting NEW and last years model. If you are a student i can see how every dollar counts. In this case try to speak to the shop owners and explain your situation as they might be able to work a good deal.
Pay a little more and get a lot more.

Return to “Kitesurfing”