Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

My legs are too tired - am I doing something wrong?

Forum for kitesurfers
andikite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 77
Local Beach: Matalascañas, Huelva, Spain
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Cádiz, Spain
Caños de Meca, Cádiz, Spain
Isla Canela, Huelva, Spain
Matalascañas, Huelva, Spain
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone Dice 6, 9, 12.
Duotone Clickbar 22-24
Duotone whip SLS 5'1
Mystic Majestic 2020 Harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: My legs are too tired - am I doing something wrong?

Postby andikite » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:42 am

The111 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2010 3:56 pm
Eduardo wrote:Plummet mentioned the 'poo' stance that a lot of beginners have - butt down and both legs bent like squatting. that would be very tiring. maybe you can get someone to take a picture of you that you can analyze.
I don't think I have both legs bent, I am pretty sure the front knee is locked, but I know the back one is bent quite a bit. Is that normal, or is it possible to still edge upwind with both knees locked? He also mentioned leaning back more to get the legs extended more. I am on seat harness now (but also have a waist harness that was giving me issues my first few sessions)... maybe the waist harness would make it easier to lean back and extend more, since it pulls from slightly higher on the body?

I will try to get some photos soon to analyze.
Yes, front knee locked and back one belt is normal riding. Maybe you did long paths with no transitions charging the same leg too time. Chopy conditions may be the reason also... Check good your riding stance.

wedge
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby wedge » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:18 am

Hey vojtech,

Sorry, it seems like every time a question gets asked here, the answers can cost a lot of money!

I'm 60+, maybe 20lbs over weight, seat harness, mako, and my favorite stance is leaned way into the harness, like almost hanging in it like a mountain climber, butt maybe skimming the water. Lots of fun, no leg problems. I keep my foot pads at 90 degrees to the board. When I started they were in a little more of a duck stance, toes pointed out. That tweaked my knees a bit. Better with everything lined up.

or - maybe you're just riding tense. Like when you first learn to ski or snowboard. 10 minutes and legs are shot. Once you learn and can relax, you can go all day.

Good Luck!

BudhaNl
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: WaZ Noordpier
IJmuiden
Gear: Naish Slash 6, Pivot 7-9
Airush Ultra 12
North Jaime 136
DSD Stallion 5'2

Postby BudhaNl » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:49 am

What the hell, thread dug up from 2010 :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:55 am

BudhaNl wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:49 am
What the hell, thread dug up from 2010 :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
New user that probably have read through all the old treads before he/she found something interesting :lol:

(that is not meant as an insult - just a joke)

kct
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2039
Local Beach: Long Beach
Gear: Switchblade

Postby kct » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:31 pm

Same question here. I think I'm in pretty good shape but damn does my back leg get tired pushing through all the chop. Probably has something to do with beginner stance.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:35 pm

kct wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:31 pm
Same question here. I think I'm in pretty good shape but damn does my back leg get tired pushing through all the chop. Probably has something to do with beginner stance.
You're probably just using new muscles. Once you're kiting consistently, those muscles will get resilient. You might also try some different boards as you gain experience. Some boards handle chop better than others. It definitely helps to stay in good shape, so keep up the good work in that regard. :thumb:

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:01 pm

Most knee and leg knee problems are cause by your stance on the board or just the board itself. try switching around the bindings, put them closer together or wider apart or the adjust V angle . And see if it goes away. Also be sure to fly the correct size for the wind speed ex smaller board in higher winds . Make sure its a board with a good rocker. I had this issue with certain boards that usually would be fixed by adjusting my bindings or ditching the board altogether for another one . If youre new this is pretty common to kite with a little by too much tension on your legs ,which can cause soreness after a while just try to relax more along with some simple leg exercises or stretching before kiting . But im pretty sure adjusting the stance on the bindings will help alot.
These users thanked the author windrider1 for the post:
Kiter_from_Germany (Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:31 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:21 pm

KCT, your post suggests that you are a relative newbie and probably using your muscles too much in the same way over a session Might be time to change your mindset regarding stance. Your stance should be varying all the time imho unless you are locked in holding down heavy power. I suggest you try a couple of exercises.

When reasonably powered leave the kite parked and just concentrate on controlling the board to maintain a constant speed. This will require you to constantly vary your stance, in the lulls you will be edging less and putting more weight forward. Similarly when slowed by a piece of chop you will have to bear away etc.

Secondly, try beating with your feet evenly weighted and compare the feeling to your normal stance. Then on different points of sail see how much weight you can put on the front foot before you feel you are in danger of catching the leading edge. (On a light wind TT with typical rocker at reasonable speed I can put most of my weight on the front foot.)

As a newbie don’t push these exercises just experiment within your comfort zone. In time it should enable you to just stand on the board relaxed as if you were just on the beach leaning against the kite taking a break, with practice you will even be able to hold your ground in a relaxed stance taking a break!
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
kct (Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:46 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:10 am

BudhaNl wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:49 am
The OP is now about 70 years old!

kct
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2039
Local Beach: Long Beach
Gear: Switchblade

Postby kct » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:41 am

Thanks for the tips I'll give them a try next time we have wind. My board is a liquid force spacecraft I don't know how much of a difference that makes.

When I ride left foot forward I don't get too tired though I'm generally more comfortable that way thanks to 15 years of surfing. Riding switch might as well be a handstand.

I'm sure I can practice this away.

Return to “Kitesurfing”