Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

My legs are too tired - am I doing something wrong?

Forum for kitesurfers
panchito
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: My legs are too tired - am I doing something wrong?

Postby panchito » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:25 pm

All these kids ..... age , board , conditions , kite , wife :they all have nothing to do

I can´t kite 3 days in a row and I am 43 ... since I am used to kite every 3rd or 4th day , normally when I get two nice sessions one day after another , I am dead meat.

Next time ..... Prepare yourself better .... Power walking , some bicycle and a decent stretching helps a lot.

It´s the same with sex ..... if you do it once a week , how would you feel if you do it suddenly 3 days in a row ? ( remember we are not 20 anymore :naughty: )

Saludos

Franz

The111
Medium Poster

Postby The111 » Sat May 01, 2010 4:40 am

I am having a similar issue. I'm 28 years old, in fairly good shape, although I guess I don't really do anything regularly to work my quads.

My past 2 sessions were the first ones I was staying upwind, and after about 2 hours on the water, when I am on an upwind run for more than 30 seconds, my back quad starts aching so bad that it often causes me to crash if I don't switch directions, LOL. I figured I just needed to get used to it and get my legs stronger, but now I'm wondering if my stance is to blame? I always heard that to go upwind you need 80% weight on back foot, and the only way I can accomplish this is by having that leg bent at the knee quite a bit. And it's working for me, as far as keeping me upwind. But this thread talks about stance, and another thread mentioned it is possible to go upwind and edge properly with both knees locked... is this true? I did notice today that once I was on a good upwind edge, I could release some of the pressure from the back leg if I kept going in the same direction and didn't lose the edge.

Well, I'm having fun either way! And working out my legs too. :lol:

mdmaui
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Maui
Style: freeride
Gear: Globe
Brand Affiliation: Globe

Postby mdmaui » Sat May 01, 2010 6:36 am

Do you ride a strapless surfboard? = Get one!
Take the edge off. Spend some time following your kite downwindish and work on your kite flying skills.
Luck

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: neo 4 5 religion 9 religion 6
north proseries 2014 5.8 5.11

Postby piccio » Sat May 01, 2010 7:52 am

Dear voitech,I am 54 kiting 8 years ,I feel the same after two days windy,can do nothing is normal.
I got 3 boards 3 kite to go out as much as possible with right equipment because wind always win after 20 25 minutes if you try to control with strenght ,not with tecnique(youngs also).kite brand is also important,years ago with GK kites or similar soft bags!!!! I resist 1 hour and half,tried best brand
and with same wind ,board ,place ,wave (strong mistral) I passed to 2 and half hour immediatly,no pain.Now with monodirectional I last less .
Also your weight counts,eat better throw same kilos away.
winter time yust from 73 kilos to 76 I feel mozzarella ,summer when fit ,feel ruben aaron!!!!!!!
Last week bought 6.3 board to go out fewer knots to keep legs fit.
sometime with little wind boring I consider going out like going to gym(paid gym I have to go,paid kite I have to inflate)

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat May 01, 2010 11:43 am

well i can do hours of kiting for days and my legs are sweet!
maybe its the 15 years of hard core mountainbiking!

you maybe riding in a "poo" stance with your legs bent like your in a seated position? if this is the case then lean back further and straighten those legs.

also why shouldn't they be sore? if you ran for an hour every day for 4 days they would also be sore.

loeuftok
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loeuftok » Sat May 01, 2010 12:58 pm

as mentioned earlier there is nothing to worry about, we all have our physical limits...

One point though that was not mentioned yet is the board flex.
I have the same problem when ride my own board in choppy water because it is too stiff.
I am used to flat water and in choppy water I use my wife's board which is more flexy than mine and allow me more time on the water before my legs give up...

Good winds to all

Eduardo
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere with a left break
Style: waves and foiling (X big-air junkie)
Gear: Cabrinha kites. North, Airush, and Slingshot boards and foils.

Postby Eduardo » Sat May 01, 2010 2:02 pm

agree about an oversized board making it more work.

but for fatiguing in 1 hr, I think it must be a stance issue (unless you were just too beat up from the prior days). Plummet mentioned the 'poo' stance that a lot of beginners have - butt down and both legs bent like squatting. that would be very tiring. maybe you can get someone to take a picture of you that you can analyze.

basic back and forth kiting takes almost no physical strength/exertion. It's only when you start slashing, jumping, and kiting aggressively...

knuthansen
Medium Poster

Postby knuthansen » Sat May 01, 2010 3:40 pm

Try a narrow board, the more even foot balance will be less tiring to ride.
Apart from that, you will get used to it. After I switched to wider boards I got tired a lot more easily as well, but after a few sessions I got no worries anymore.

A totally different story is wakeboarding for me.. I can kite for 4 hours, but after 1 minute of wakeboarding my legs are totally shaking.

The111
Medium Poster

Postby The111 » Sat May 01, 2010 3:56 pm

Eduardo wrote:Plummet mentioned the 'poo' stance that a lot of beginners have - butt down and both legs bent like squatting. that would be very tiring. maybe you can get someone to take a picture of you that you can analyze.
I don't think I have both legs bent, I am pretty sure the front knee is locked, but I know the back one is bent quite a bit. Is that normal, or is it possible to still edge upwind with both knees locked? He also mentioned leaning back more to get the legs extended more. I am on seat harness now (but also have a waist harness that was giving me issues my first few sessions)... maybe the waist harness would make it easier to lean back and extend more, since it pulls from slightly higher on the body?

I will try to get some photos soon to analyze.

KiteSurfingKen
Frequent Poster

Postby KiteSurfingKen » Sat May 01, 2010 5:33 pm

I agree on the board size. Too much board in choppy conditions can wear the legs out quick. Different styles of board can make a difference too.

Yesterday I went out on my 11m with my 140x46 WLF because I thought I needed more board to make it through the lulls. With all of that board surface, it wanted to ride over the chop instead of slice through it. That meant I was using my legs a lot more.

I switched to my Nobile 666 132x41 (my all around board) and the difference was staggering.
Since the board was not too wide, I could edge better. Since I could edge better, the board was slicing through the chop more than riding over it.
This meant my legs were working a lot less and did not feel as tired. I was also able to ride with more speed comfortably and huck some huge airs.

The other suggestions are all good too (hydration, conditioning, rest, etc), but I would consider adding a smaller board to your quiver as well. It is surprising what a few CMs of width and a different rocker line can mean to your riding style/stance.

When going upwind, I usually have my back leg unlocked at first. Once I get on a line, I can lock in and hold the line, but unlock if I need to push upwind again.
Also keep in mind removing one hand from the bar and rotating your shoulders upwind will make it easier to go upwind with locked legs.

Return to “Kitesurfing”