Novice waroo problems. Please help

Forum for kitesurfers
Eardleyf1
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Novice waroo problems. Please help

Postby Eardleyf1 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:16 pm

I’m a novice kiteboarder located on the east coast of Florida. I was kiting on the Banana River in Titusville, Florida yesterday with a wind of about 10 kts (didn’t have a meter). I was having some trouble flying the kite and was hoping someone might be able to help. My kite is a 2008 Best Waroo 13m.

After I launched I noticed the kite was flying a bit further overhead than usual. The wind was strong enough to get up and ride. But, at one point with the kite at 12 o’clock and me stopped in the water, the kite lost all power and took a nose dive straight to the water. I had trouble re-launching after that and had to bring it in and walk back to the beach.

What causes this? Was the wind to light? Do I have the kite trimmed incorrectly? I had the trim straps to the fully powered position. My back lines were on the 4th knot from the end.

I appreciate the help. Thanks to whoever posted the info on Parish park its a lot more novice friendly than the Atlantic.

Patrickm86
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Novice waroo problems. Please help

Postby Patrickm86 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:43 pm

wind was too light and your inexperienced. It takes a very fine touch to fly a kite in that light of wind.

kiter147
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rio Grande, Puerto Rico
Favorite Beaches: My own beach
Style: freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad, 9m/11m

Postby kiter147 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:04 am

yea i agree with the last poster but also in having the kite do a nose dive is because you would push the bar out all of the way or you would eaither have the kite with too much power when you sheet in.

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:31 am

While parking the kite overhead in strong winds can lead to problems, parking it at 12 in light winds can also be an issue. If you get a gust and then lull, or other pilot error, it's much harder to recover from slack lines with the kite overhead. This is true of all types of kites. If you you have it off to the side, the kite might just drift back and tighen up the lines, rather than just fall onto your head. Also, if the wind is gusty and the kite is surging up to 12, be sure to steer it to one side before it gets the chance to overfly.

Peter

BLACKJACK
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Brighton
Favorite Beaches: I love them all
Style: Old school
Gear: CORE GT kites,Flysurfer Speed 3, Ocean Rodeo Makos ,Flyradicals and HP Spleene Rip.

Postby BLACKJACK » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:38 am

i daubt you can ride in 10 knots on Waroo, unless you are 65 kg or so, your kite was not trimmed for light wind,if you had depower strap fully on, next time try to depower it completly at 12, sheet in and watch the kite, it should be on the verge of stalling( flying over your head) you can get to this stage by pulling on depower strap, the stronger the wind the more power you can have before stalling, thera are others methods to tune ,best way just ask someone around.

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Krazedkiter » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:20 am

This happens with most kites in light wind and even sometimes in stronger wind. Your kite is being brought back to 12 too fast and it lunges forward when it gets to 12 and looses power.

You have to picture what is happening. When you kite is at normal 12 the LE of the kite is slightly higher then the trailing edge. This is what gives the kite power....when the back of the kite is lower then the front of the kite. When the kite is brought back to 12 too fast and it lunges forward also envision what happens. When the kite is too far forward it pulls the LE down and brings the trailing edge up higher...which completely depowers and stalls the kite. Then the kite just drops out of the sky because all the wind has spiled out of the back of the kite because the trailing edge is too high.

Control your kite so you dont bring it to 12 so fast. If you crash, try and bring it back to 12 slower. Also, if you find that is too hard, instead of bringing your kite back to 12, let it overfly to 1 a little then back to 11 and slowly then back to 12 to keep it from lunging forward.

Good luck

Eardleyf1
Rare Poster

Postby Eardleyf1 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:36 am

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am inexperienced and learning all the time. None of the lessons I've had or DVD's I've watched have really gone in depth on the trimming of the kite. This information really helps alot. Thanks.

Eardleyf1
Rare Poster

Postby Eardleyf1 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:34 am

Hey guys thanks again. I just have one more quick question.

Would the tuning knots on the back lines of the Waroo have a significant effect on how the kite flys in light wind? For example if I use the 6th knot versus the second would I have more control in lighter wind? It seems that this would lower the trailing edge relative to the leading edge and reduce the tendency of the kite to stall.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:44 am

I had that kite and flew it on the 2nd and 3rd knots. I never try to let my kite get overhead. I used a 55cm Best bar with the kite. Simple no wind no kiting, 10 knots is nothing.

BLACKJACK
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Brighton
Favorite Beaches: I love them all
Style: Old school
Gear: CORE GT kites,Flysurfer Speed 3, Ocean Rodeo Makos ,Flyradicals and HP Spleene Rip.

Postby BLACKJACK » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:10 am

Before you start thinking about which knot to use, check your lines- they should be equel at full power.
To do that hook all 4 lines in the same spot, pull depower strap to fully on and sheet in ( get the bar as close to you as you can) now all your lines should have the same tension, if you have 2 or 3 inches slack on rear lines for example you have to go same distance up on your knots towards the kite to compensate, when you know your lines are = at full power you can experiment with knots as general rule , less wind come closer to the kite, but if you come too close you will simply choke the kite.
Also my advice is to use only AA not AB since the Waroo is very slow turnning kite setting on AA helps a little bit.

Return to “Kitesurfing”