Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Attention lake kiters What's you favorite board?

Forum for kitesurfers
thebroz
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Attention lake kiters What's you favorite board?

Postby thebroz » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:14 pm

What is your favorite board for riding lakes, fluky winds, choppy water. Wouldn't we all like our home spot to be the ocean or butter flat like we see in the videos? Tell us what you like for these conditions, not the ideal spot. Also tell us how much you weigh, and typical wind strength or kite size for your spot. I have tried a handful of boards from great light wind boards to higher wind machines but the bottom line is I always feel like I am giving up something. Like the board goes upwind well but sucks in the swell & chop & constantly catches an edge or pearls in an aggresive turn. Or you go with the smaller board & suffer durring the lulls. I am 230 LBS and ride the Nobile 666 EXT 140x46 or the Jimmy Lewis Model 3 139x 40. Wind range 15-30MPH, kite sizes from 8M to 15M. Love to hear if anyone has dialed it in to the perfect all around board. :?:

charjulio
Medium Poster

Re: Attention lake kiters What's you favorite board?

Postby charjulio » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:08 am

I've been riding in lakes since 2001. Everything got a lot better when I switched to an airush protoy exile 135-46. I weigh 160 lbs.

It was meant to be my light wind board but became my all round because even on the high wind days you still get gusty on off wind with big lulls. Toe side is skatey and that's the one thing I miss on big days with some lake swell to smack. I will ride it mutant style with some big surf fins in the back on those days (I always wanted to try an ocean rodeo mako on those days but no one has one where I live). I think a few things that make it stand out in high winds are the flip tips (you don't dive the nose), the dual concave for smooth heel to toe transitions, and the flexy tips for absorbing chop. I do have have big feet for my weight which makes it a little easier to handle the width.

splatnikGanglion
Very Frequent Poster

Postby splatnikGanglion » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:01 am

I don't own one but the ocean rodeo mako was a good ride when I tried it out. This was the original before they added all the other flavors.

Currently I'm riding a liquid force drop ltd 132 but it's a little small and needs a lot to get going (I'm 150lbs) but holds down a ton of wind. For the light wind days I have a Crazyfly Cruiser Pro with the little fins. It'll get you going in little wind but it's hard to stick tricks with the lack of rocker and super wide 45cm width and it's hard to carve.

I'd like something a little wider than the drop but I don't want to trade too much of the performance I get with it.

720sports
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dillon Res, CO Aurora Res,CO Lak Mac- NE,
Favorite Beaches: South Padre, Corpus, Hatteras, Chucktown
Style: Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer Pulse2 14m, & 10m
Mako Wide 150
LQ Recoil 133- CWB Torque Bindings

Postby 720sports » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:41 pm

Mako 150 Wide- I've owned a JL Model 3, Nobile 555, North Dragon, - And I always come back to the Mako as the quiver killing board- I'd rather ride it than anything else, especially in Lake Mac and Aurora Res, chop and spray are no issues for that board

thebroz
Medium Poster

Postby thebroz » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:02 pm

720sports how much do you weigh? Didn't think it would be long before someone said this(Mako) was the board of choice, I haven't ridden one yet.

ORCustomerService
Medium Poster

Postby ORCustomerService » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:50 pm

Hey Guys/Gals,

Check out the Mako Challenge...

http://www.oceanrodeo.com/kiting/mako_challenge

20 m or bust
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dalrock, Ray Roberts
Favorite Beaches: Mustang Island, Stink Beach
Style: Free ride
Gear: Waroos
Stretch board

Postby 20 m or bust » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:42 am

I am 6'2" and 225 lbs. I have been riding lakes in Dallas for 5 years. I was nearly 300 lbs when I started, but have managed to lose in the last year. I ride a stretch 145 x 42 and a lw 179 x 46. The stretch is smooth in the chop, but has good pop and carves well. The big board is like a buick and does well in light winds or glides thru lulls like a dream. I ride the big board much less now that I lost a small person...

thebroz
Medium Poster

Postby thebroz » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:08 pm

Congrats on the weight loss, you must feel like you're walking on the moon now.
Broz

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:55 pm

Rogue Wave Custom's. Hands down.

So much nicer to ride in our chop, bump and jump, and lake swell than any off the shelf pop out board. Someday the kitesurfing masses will look back at the boards that are the current industry standard and laugh. How can we understand that rail shape and rocker line are so integral to what makes a good surfboard and yet completely disregard these same properties in a twin tip? I just don't get it. Most kiteboards have more in common with boards designed to ride on snow than anything designed to ride on water!

Lee Brittain is an artist and master board builder, so is Jimmy, and a handful of other who shape boards with wrapped smooth rails and rocker lines that allow for feel over function. Once you're over the "gotta stay upwind" stage, do yourself a favor and switch to a board that's well designed to RIDE on water. I have SO much more FUN on Lee's boards

Whatever your size, whatever your style, a made to order board is always gonna be a better fit, and you pay the same as you would for a new pop out from any of the big brands.

steveb
Frequent Poster

Postby steveb » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:13 pm

I'm 230lbs riding lakes. Our average winds, when we get some, are 13 to 20 mph. I ride a Spleene RIP 138/40. I like that it absorbs the chop very well, holds it's edge when ridden hard and fast. I has good pop but I don't think it's a pop monster. I'm old school so I don't really care about the lesser pop.
I'm going into my 4 th season on it and it still has the same energy as the day I bought it, bomber construction, it still looks good as new. I dumped the spleene straps and put on a strap I prefer .
To be honest I haven't ridden anything I felt was superbly better so I'll just keep riding it until it breaks.
I've ridden the nobile 666 which is a very similar shape,nice board. The nobile was a little stiffer, seemed to lock in in a straight line a little more, the rip feels a little looser in the water and a slightly smoother ride.

Return to “Kitesurfing”