Kiteosphere
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: slingshot surfboards

Postby Kiteosphere » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:09 pm

Friday my friend a tech rep for SS received the new 6'2" SST Quad and the 6'2" BW Pro model boards from SS. We were unusually lucky to get 3 days of wind in a row with chest to 1 foot overhead waves. 2 days of port tack wave riding followed by a day of starboard tack wave riding yesterday, my strong side. This post primarily deals with the SST Quad.

Some tips for setting up the board. Make sure the 2 smaller quad fins are installed in the rear and are installed so they track in line with the larger front fins. i.e. make sure the rear fins are not toed in as they can be installed this way if one doesn't know better. Also make sure the velcro foot straps open from the rear of the board or water coming over the deck will open then up. At my size 190 pounds it is not possible for me to paddle surf the 6'2" SST so I would glue the front pad to the deck if it were mine. Finally, make sure to take your steroids before attempting to install the front pad and strap, not easy.

After getting the boards together we decided to do a 12 mile down winder and tradeoff the boards half way to get a feel for each. We are both capable wave riders and come from a surfing background. He is goofy foot and I am regular foot. At the end of our first session he said he definitely preferred the BW Pro model better than the SST Quad while I preferred the Quad. As a background I have been riding F4 Quads for the past 2 years while he typically has ridden thruster configurations. I went into this testing a little skeptical on the boards as I felt my F4 was by far the best board I have ridden in the past 2 years because of its speed and vertical wave riding ability. My first 2 sessions were on my weak side, port tack wave riding. I told my friend that I wanted to with hold my opinion until I got a session on my strong side. He let me keep the SST Quad over the weekend to continue to test it. Yesterday afternoon I got my day on a 15 mile solo down winder on chest to a little overhead waves. In all 3 sessions I was flying a 12M RPM kite. I was pleasantly surprised with the performance of the SST. It is a fairly thinned out light weight narrow squash tail quad. It is fast, efficient, surfs vertically and floats sections effortlessly. I got some really good hits off the lip and was worried I would break it because of its light weight but it held up to the abuse. You can see on the upper deck that SS used a high quality tight weave glass on the board. The board points up wind well and could hold its ground even in the moderately strong current running the same direction as the wind. It didn't have that boaty feel you get from allot of production type pop out light weight boards. I was very impressed and now I don't want to give the board back. Great job on a fast and loose board to SS and it looks great too.

windyway
Frequent Poster
Gear: .......

Postby windyway » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:13 am

Slingy and Naish both use mini-Tuttle fin boxes.
Update: Naish now uses DFS on its directionals
DFS video- http://www.kiteforum.tv/video/DFS_Boxes ... _Fins.html

Three reasons I want FCS or even Future fins.
1. The $20 fin snaps off and saves your board.
2. FCS fins are the surfer standard and available worldwide.
3. Just try and buy a mini tuttle fin outside of the Gorge or Maui. Ha Ha Ha.
Last edited by windyway on Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.
Favorite Beaches: SOCAL/PNW/HI/BCS/????
Style: Depends on the condition.
Gear: 2012 RPM 4.5/6/7/8/9/10/12/14

Boots/Strapless/Skim/Wakestake/Snowboard
Brand Affiliation: Free Agent

Postby shymac » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:38 am

You can buy adapters to allow FCS to run on mini's. So there is a easy solution to run what you want... :jap:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.The First reason is untrue because our warranty dept has hardly ever seen a case of a mini fin box blow out. Mini's are more durable... Thats there advantage... FCS have more performance and much more options when it comes to flex and fin types... That's there advantage... But with that said the fins we have on all the 09 surfboards are running much better then the past and have very good flex characteristics.

2.The second reason is correct.

3.The third reason is weak because you should always carry a extra set of fins. No matter FCS or MIni; its just common sense. You should also carry extra wax.

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:53 am

Its a real shame about all the SS wave boards this year.

They look good but should have been here in November, and still no sign off them.

Would have loved to have had a BW.

Maybe 2010 model will arrive on time. (Fall.)

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:24 am

Rumor has it that Slingy may be distributing Aviso manufactired boards soon.
Designs by Cole and others.

Any dates yet?

shymac
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson Point break; Sandbar HR; 3-mile; Hatch; Mosier; S.beach Newport. Timberline, Mount Hood Meadows, Whistler, Baker, Steamboat.

Postby shymac » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:45 pm

Not sure on the dates but the rumor is true. The Cole Firefly was sweet while I had it....
PAFF wrote:Its a real shame about all the SS wave boards this year.

They look good but should have been here in November, and still no sign off them.

Would have loved to have had a BW.

Maybe 2010 model will arrive on time. (Fall.)
Well 2010 will be better because we are working hard to get products in dealers hands during there limited selling window. Trust me its getting better...
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (169.58 KiB) Viewed 1366 times

waves1111
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Kahala, Mokuleia or Kailua, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: WBP & Mokes
Style: Waves
Gear: North EVO, Fuse & Rebel Kites, Surfboards 5.0 to 6.6 and Extreme Sports Maui mutant for bump and jump. Firewire FP 5-11

Postby waves1111 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:31 am

Great to hear SS has stayed with the mini tuttle box. Less down time and more water time. Easy on the pocket book. I kite in a exposed reef location and hit often with no problems with the mini tuttle box.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:00 pm

naish dont use mini tuttle on their boards certainlt nor form 2009 product, some of the 08 boards had it but they have switched over to the DFS system that is also compatible with FCS

kiter147
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Rio Grande, Puerto Rico
Favorite Beaches: My own beach
Style: freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad, 9m/11m

Postby kiter147 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:47 pm

dam that board looks sick in black right next to the rmp too

shymac
Very Frequent Poster

Postby shymac » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:04 pm

goPRO video showcasing that board in real world conditions.

Celeritas 5'4" Hard at work in the river swell.http://www.vimeo.com/4365314

Return to “Kitesurfing”