Forum for kitesurfers
gonesailin
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Setting up a kite cam at your local beach

Postby gonesailin » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:49 pm

Anyone have an idea for what the cost / tech requirements are for setting up a kite cam at your local beach? Our community has a bit of "Tourism Infrastructure" money, and I'm hoping that some of it can be aimed in this direction. Obviously the pitch to the decision makers would be to have a "sunset camera" that would show a real-time view of the beach. Conveniently it would also show real time conditions when the wind's blowing.
Rather than re-invent the wheel, I'd love to learn from any experiences you have had installing / maintaining a camera at a beach near you.
If you just have a favorite beach camera you like to check out, that would be helpful too. It's nice to see who's doing things well.

See you on the water,
Dave

EdG
Rare Poster

Re: Setting up a kite cam at your local beach

Postby EdG » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:37 pm

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:25 pm

I've been drooling for the past few winters watching this cam: http://evsjupiter.netfirms.com/main.htm

I also talked to some friends at the local park service - and some of my crew - about me providing the rig to look up the beach like this cam: http://www.ocsurfcam.com/index50.htm (viewable daylight hours - New York time). I ran into two things...

My crew said - something to the effect: "Like we need more people coming here?! ...F-No!"

...and even if you offer to pay-for-everything and provide a turnkey product for a government bureaucracy, nobody will take the responsibility of approving where it would go ..and God-forbid it needs to link into their T1 line..

'Way it goes...

j i m

gonesailin
Rare Poster

Postby gonesailin » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:11 pm

Thanks guys,
I was also a bit concerned about shouting too loudly about what a great spot to ride Cape Charles is, but after 10 years, it's mostly just 2 of us out there riding even on perfect days, and even when there are 12 or 14 there's still plenty of room for everyone to have fun. We'll have to watch the crowding issue, but for now I think we're safe.
Good news is that the town government is stoked about kiting, and of course, we're going to promote this as a "sunset camera" which they'll eat up.
That rig at Rooster Rock looks perfect. I'll be interested to follow the progress on that project.
I'll also have to check out that nice hooked beach in Jupiter next time I'm down South.
If anyone else has ideas or suggestions, please share.
One specific questions I have is "how far from the water can the camera be and still be useful? We have a bathroom / shower building about 85 feet from the water, and it might be the perfect place to mount the camera. I could also try to mount it on top of the flag pole, which is 30-40 feet closer, but the town has a hard time even keeping the flag in one piece.

Thanks
Dave

Return to “Kitesurfing”