Style: I'm French Canadian so my style is weird
Gear: Everything that can fit into my Honda Odyssey
Brand Affiliation: Webmaster at http://www.kiteforum.ca
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The new Spleene Q

Postby DenisLaMenace » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Thanks this is valuable info.

Yep I currently have Pulse2 8m, Pyscho4 10m and 15m, SA2 19m. I am really sold to FS foils, but want a tube and was worry a "Q" 12m would be too close to my 10m. I really want a size that fits in between my 10+15m as an all around for some specific spots where I prefer tube. I am a bit heavier (85k), ride mostly lakes on twin-tips and often have light wind conditions.

If bar pressure is the same as Psycho4, you got me in. This is the perfect Cadillac ride I like.

As for board, I already have my 2008 DOOR 159x45. I will not upgrade for 2009 as I personally prefer the race car orange strip design.

Will check for a demo and availability for sure.
just do it wrote: I personally can't comment on the 12m "Q" too much as I currently only have the 9m here. I let my 12m go to our Italian distributors as we were short of kites on the first shipment and so we had to spread them out a little. The first proper shipment will arrive early next month.
However we got feedback from various people about the 12m "Q".
All of the "Q"s have very good low end, a very good turning speed and a somewhat similar bar-pressure to the Psycho4. Obviously as is the case with most LEIs, the steering will always feel more direct than on a Flysurfer and be faster.
Out of my experiences with the Psycho4 and Pulse2 I would say the "Q" easily has the same low end(size for size) and because you can work it quite well you can get even more out of it.
So if you ride a 12m Pulse2 or 12m Psycho4 the 12m "Q" would slot into a similar segment.
Relaunch is a doddle too.
Personally, I (weight 75kg) will use a quiver of 7m, 9m and 12m though I hardly ever use a 12m kite these days. The 9m starts so early and if you ride actively then you are OK from 13-14knt onwards on the 9m.
Obviously you will need a fast board like the new HT-Rips for that :thumb:
Here is a link to a rider who has compared the "Q" with some of his kites though he didn't have the IQ" bar and used a shorter bar with less depower.
You probably already read his review.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2356231
P.S. Send Ted a mail and see whether you can try one of his new "Q"s as this is the only way of really telling.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby FredBGG » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:16 pm

just do it wrote: Out of my experiences with the Psycho4 and Pulse2 I would say the "Q" easily has the same low end(size for size) and because you can work it quite well you can get even more out of it.
So if you ride a 12m Pulse2 or 12m Psycho4 the 12m "Q" would slot into a similar segment.
Same lowend as a Psycho 4.... that would be quite something but in the right hands and tuned right the Psychos have pretty amazing low end.
Psycho-4-Low-Wind-001.jpg
Psycho-4-Low-Wind-001.jpg (25.98 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
Psycho-4-Low-Wind-002.jpg
Psycho-4-Low-Wind-002.jpg (39.77 KiB) Viewed 1634 times
Psycho-4-Low-Wind-003.jpg
Psycho-4-Low-Wind-003.jpg (26.61 KiB) Viewed 1634 times

just do it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush Varial-X, Airush Apex
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby just do it » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:56 am

For most of last year I used a 9m Core Riot (amongst other LEIs) and also had a 10m Psycho4. To be honest even between those two there wasn't much difference in terms of low end.
My wife had a 7m Riot and an 8m Psycho3 and even she felt that the low end wasn't much less on her Tubekite but it obviously had quite a bit more topend.
If you get a modern LEI with good flying speed and generally good low end then there isn't really any difference between an FS kite and a Tubekite in terms of lowend.(C-Shape LEIs are a different story though)
In the old days there was still a difference but as FS sacrificed a bit of their lowend for turning speed and since the modern, bridled tubekites have improved their lowend quite dramatically there really isn't much to choose between them anymore.
The only FS Kite that still has more lowend (size for size) is the Speed2.
Having said that both types of kites have their virtues but taking the Speed2 aside, lowend isn't the deciding factor anymore.

B.t.w. I don't want to get into a Foil against LEI debate both have their distinct characteristics and I only drew a windrange comparison between the two because I was asked.

just do it
Very Frequent Poster

Postby just do it » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:57 pm

DenisLaMenace wrote:Thanks this is valuable info.

Yep I currently have Pulse2 8m, Pyscho4 10m and 15m, SA2 19m. I am really sold to FS foils, but want a tube and was worry a "Q" 12m would be too close to my 10m. I really want a size that fits in between my 10+15m as an all around for some specific spots where I prefer tube. I am a bit heavier (85k), ride mostly lakes on twin-tips and often have light wind conditions.

If bar pressure is the same as Psycho4, you got me in. This is the perfect Cadillac ride I like.

As for board, I already have my 2008 DOOR 159x45. I will not upgrade for 2009 as I personally prefer the race car orange strip design.

Will check for a demo and availability for sure.
Best is always to try, only that way you will be able to determine how much overlap you will get. I would say the 12m "Q" would slot in quite nicely, though you would have quite a selection of kites then.
Regarding the new HT-DOOR59. Your 2008 Door was/is a very fine board. The biggest advantages of the new HT-Doors are:
1. Much lower weight. Makes a big difference as the board feels much smaller and more nimble underfoot.
2. Jet Bottom Technology (Channels). Makes a big difference to the boards acceleration, planing ability and grip.
Whether that is enough incentive to get a new Spleene HT-Door59 is something you will only be able to find out when you have tried one but I warn you now. Don't try it unless you want a hole in your pocket. :thumb:

poldo
Frequent Poster

Postby poldo » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:19 pm

just do it wrote:
4. As people might have noticed on the pictures the "Q" doesn't have a centrestrut but instead uses even pairs of struts (Gemini Strut Design). On sizes 5m, 7m and 9m there are 4 struts and on sizes 10.5m, 12m and 14m there are 6 struts.
Now, apart from the obvious improvements in aerodynamics which a smoother, less turbulant centre-section brings with it, the more important reason for us to take away the centrestrut lies elsewhere.
The way the "Q"s profile is designed works together with its strut layout and by not using a centrestrut, even a relatively short depower-movement of the bar can cause the airflow in the centre-section to be disturbed very effectively and thus reduce lift(power) significantly.
As the strut-pairs are located towards the tips of the kite, the profile remains stable in these areas allowing the kites turning behaviour and thus controllability to remain constant even when being depowered.
We call it a Self-Adjusting Profile.
However that doesn't mean it's the same on all kites without a centrestrut as there is a little more to it than simple taking the centrestrut away.

5. Last but not least, the Gemini Strut Design, the shape of the kite with its swept back leading edge and virtually straight trailing edge makes the kite extremely stable and counteracts the dreaded front-stall.
This is another thing people commented on straight away. The kite has the tednancy to right itself when lines go slack and instantly feels more stable.
The balance between profile, shape and weight distribution creates a self-righting moment and stops the kite from overflying.

I think that is enough for now and plenty of ammunition for people to shoot me.
Very interesting points, it's not common to have these technical details explained soo well :thumb:

Looking forward to have news about your foil kite...

truthonwater
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Northshore
Style: Wakestyle all the way
Gear: Whatever I get my hands on!

Postby truthonwater » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:20 pm

FredBGG wrote:
just do it wrote:bullshit pictures
These pictures are fake!
I flew a SA19 and you definitly need more wind to get those gay kites going.
I hate this bullshit marketing :angryfire:

just do it
Very Frequent Poster

Postby just do it » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:23 pm

Just for the record, I didn't say bullsh.t pictures anywhere.
So you missquoted me somehow.

Also lets focus on the "Q"-kite again. :thumb:

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:49 pm

If the low end is as good as I'm getting on my Psycho 4s I'm intrested.
Tried adding one LEI (modern non c-shaped) to my quiver this year. Bought a couple but sold them.

How is the turning speed when depowered?

When you release the red safety which way does the kite land on the water?

How does the kite handle waves/surf when you have activated the red safety?

Does it land leading edge down and then lay on its back?

Just wondering how the impact of whitewater on the kite is when it is still attached to two front
lines.

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Fri May 01, 2009 12:54 am

Last edited by flyingweasel on Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

just do it
Very Frequent Poster

Postby just do it » Fri May 01, 2009 9:51 am

flyingweasel wrote:What a load of crap. Thats some size of ego. What a crashing bore! bet you get invited to lots of parties. I`ve lost interest in the Spleene Q already! You are a foil flying bore freak! loser!
That's a bit harsh and uncalled for but to be honest I am also getting a little bored talking about FS-Foil kites on a thread that was started to introduce a new Inflatable kite from Spleene but for some people it's just seems a little hard to let go.
Each to their own though and no need to get upset. :nono:

Return to “Kitesurfing”