Favorite Beaches: Keys
Style: All
Gear: 11m REV, 14T2, 17T2
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bahamas in September or October?

Postby 24Redhorse » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:01 am

I looked at exuma and it looked pretty reasonable. Yeah I will be bringin g my 17,14 and 11. Looking for some consistent winds!

JoJaDa
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lambeau, Pigeon Point, Lost Iros, Mayaro, Manzanilla, Crazees,
Favorite Beaches: Lambeau, Hope Bay
Style: flat & in waves
Gear: 10m twin tip board

Postby JoJaDa » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:28 pm

So anyone have updates since 2009 on historical wind conditions in the Abacos in early October? I'm considering a trip to there from Oct 2 - 8 and the consensus in this thread from 9 years ago is that it's hit and miss in October. Hurricanes are of course always a risk at this time - for this season SO FAR they are predicting a less active one.

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:37 pm

Could get anything from calm to crazy depending on the day. If youre going for a week or more and have a 17 you’ll definitely get some lightwind sessions at the very least.
Fall months might get anything (including great steady wind, and certainly calm days), theres no guarantee but id say October youre chances are decent and worth going. I dont think theres a definite answer.

Go snorkeling/spearfishing if its not blowing every day :)

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Greenturtle » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:57 pm

Oh yeah - and take a mask out kiting with you around your neck, then when you pass over a reef here and there you can stop and put the mask on and have a look.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:15 pm

You will likely do better than July in early October but as you say it isn't assured to have good wind. Fortunately, there are a ton of other great things to get up to aside from kiting there. As far as hurricanes, I hope they continue to stay away but there is no real assurance on that either.
JoJaDa wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:28 pm
So anyone have updates since 2009 on historical wind conditions in the Abacos in early October? I'm considering a trip to there from Oct 2 - 8 and the consensus in this thread from 9 years ago is that it's hit and miss in October. Hurricanes are of course always a risk at this time - for this season SO FAR they are predicting a less active one.

MKM
Frequent Poster
Gear: tons...
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha & Dakine

Postby MKM » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:16 pm

Have fun in the Bahamas. I've actually enjoyed my time kiting there more than any other place in the world. I like that it's not really known as a kite destination and most of the islands are untouched. It's really more like adventure kiting as compared to the venues that are packed with tourist kiters.

I've always judged a kite location not by the windy times, but more by what you can do when the wind isn't blowing. Spearing, fishing, and exploring are all great in the Out Islands. Certainly there are more consistently windy locations than the Bahamas, but with new gear including foils, the Bahamas are quickly becoming even more viable as a destination to kite. I'd also say that from October - mid-June, you are very likely to get some great conditions weekly.

The islands are more expensive than many other locations, and certainly life is a bit slower in the more remote regions. One of my favorite locations is in the Northern Berry Islands at a place called Great Harbour Cay. GHC boasts amazing beaches that are positioned to take advantage of the most common wind directions. You can rent a condo on the beach at a reasonable price and you may even see 1-2 kiters during your stay. You are close to blue holes, and there is a remarkable downwind ride over some amazing flats! In truth, it's probably tough to stay there for more than a week or two for most, and this is especially true of you don't freedive, fish, or spearfish. You would be best to bring most of your own food, but there are places to stock up on the island. There are a few places to eat, but options are very limited. I love this island. I'm sure that the wind is a bit better if you get down to South Eleuthera or the Exumas, but having a foil or a surfboard in the Bahamas is your best insurance policy against light air. There are no waves at GHC which is a bummer for sure, but the location is so nice that you probably won't mind.

If waves are a necessity, then I'd probably recommend Great Guana Cay in the Abacos. Most of the outer islands in the Abacos will be find for kiting, but Guanna has a longer stretch of beach than most. It's certainly got more action than GHC and you are very close to several other islands via ferry. You can generally go between Guana, Treasure, Green Turtle, March Harbor, and Elbow by ferry for about $15-$20 for 20-30 minute service. Note that the Abacos can be expensive depending on the time of the season.

Eleuthera is another great Bahamian wave destination. If you want to stay on a budget, there are some great locations around Surfers Beach, but this is a wave only beach, no flat water within walking distance. You can rent small houses on the bluff that are walking distance to the beach (they are remote though!). There are fantastic flat-water locations on Eleuthera, but this island really requires that you have use of a car. I might even suggest staying down at a place called Pineapple Fields. This beach has a fairly protected inside, with nice waves on the outside, but you have to keep a close eye on the barrier rocks! There is a small super market, places to eat, and it's close to the airport. Very nice, but probably a bit more expensive.

For the ultimate flat water trip (probably in the world), look at the Exumas! My favorite is around Staniel Cay, but it's a bit costly. Staniel Cay Yacht club provides a boat with rental of accommodations. Difficult to kite right out of this island, but with the boat you can kite a number of cool spots. Be very careful, as many islands are private and not available to kite on. The Exumas are a world wonder for sure!

Exumas Kite Trip Video-
https://youtu.be/MR_k2zMQ4rc

Crooked Island Kite Trip Video- (pre-hurricane. i'm sure that there isn't much available down there now)
https://youtu.be/2ct_g3ko5Lc

Bimini- Closest spot to Miami. I really enjoy it, but the wind conditions are only a bit better than Miami (very much like the keys).
https://youtu.be/LjJeQfG3NFE

Eleuthera- super old clip with bad quality, but you will get the idea!
https://youtu.be/JYq-DYaNjwg

Exumas-

Crooked Island-
Enjoy your adventure!

Crooked Island- unique kiting exploration

Crooked Island- miles of waves

Bimini (and the rest of the Bahamas- land of the Bulls!)

Enjoy!

Kent

JoJaDa
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lambeau, Pigeon Point, Lost Iros, Mayaro, Manzanilla, Crazees,
Favorite Beaches: Lambeau, Hope Bay
Style: flat & in waves
Gear: 10m twin tip board

Postby JoJaDa » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:47 am

Thanks to Greenturtle, Ricki and MKM!! And MKM, Crooked Island looks AHHH-MAYYY-ZING!!! That makes for a harder decision now...

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:04 pm

Have you considered Cabarete? I was there with my wife and son for 2 weeks last February. It's a bit rough around the edges, but lots of US and Canadian expats there. Good restaurants. Nice beach. Reasonable prices.

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Postby StellaBlu » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:58 am

MKM wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:16 pm
Have fun in the Bahamas. I've actually enjoyed my time kiting there more than any other place in the world. I like that it's not really known as a kite destination and most of the islands are untouched. It's really more like adventure kiting as compared to the venues that are packed with tourist kiters.

I've always judged a kite location not by the windy times, but more by what you can do when the wind isn't blowing. Spearing, fishing, and exploring are all great in the Out Islands. Certainly there are more consistently windy locations than the Bahamas, but with new gear including foils, the Bahamas are quickly becoming even more viable as a destination to kite. I'd also say that from October - mid-June, you are very likely to get some great conditions weekly.

The islands are more expensive than many other locations, and certainly life is a bit slower in the more remote regions. One of my favorite locations is in the Northern Berry Islands at a place called Great Harbour Cay. GHC boasts amazing beaches that are positioned to take advantage of the most common wind directions. You can rent a condo on the beach at a reasonable price and you may even see 1-2 kiters during your stay. You are close to blue holes, and there is a remarkable downwind ride over some amazing flats! In truth, it's probably tough to stay there for more than a week or two for most, and this is especially true of you don't freedive, fish, or spearfish. You would be best to bring most of your own food, but there are places to stock up on the island. There are a few places to eat, but options are very limited. I love this island. I'm sure that the wind is a bit better if you get down to South Eleuthera or the Exumas, but having a foil or a surfboard in the Bahamas is your best insurance policy against light air. There are no waves at GHC which is a bummer for sure, but the location is so nice that you probably won't mind.

If waves are a necessity, then I'd probably recommend Great Guana Cay in the Abacos. Most of the outer islands in the Abacos will be find for kiting, but Guanna has a longer stretch of beach than most. It's certainly got more action than GHC and you are very close to several other islands via ferry. You can generally go between Guana, Treasure, Green Turtle, March Harbor, and Elbow by ferry for about $15-$20 for 20-30 minute service. Note that the Abacos can be expensive depending on the time of the season.

Eleuthera is another great Bahamian wave destination. If you want to stay on a budget, there are some great locations around Surfers Beach, but this is a wave only beach, no flat water within walking distance. You can rent small houses on the bluff that are walking distance to the beach (they are remote though!). There are fantastic flat-water locations on Eleuthera, but this island really requires that you have use of a car. I might even suggest staying down at a place called Pineapple Fields. This beach has a fairly protected inside, with nice waves on the outside, but you have to keep a close eye on the barrier rocks! There is a small super market, places to eat, and it's close to the airport. Very nice, but probably a bit more expensive.

For the ultimate flat water trip (probably in the world), look at the Exumas! My favorite is around Staniel Cay, but it's a bit costly. Staniel Cay Yacht club provides a boat with rental of accommodations. Difficult to kite right out of this island, but with the boat you can kite a number of cool spots. Be very careful, as many islands are private and not available to kite on. The Exumas are a world wonder for sure!

Exumas Kite Trip Video-
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Crooked Island Kite Trip Video- (pre-hurricane. i'm sure that there isn't much available down there now)
[VIDEO][/video]

Bimini- Closest spot to Miami. I really enjoy it, but the wind conditions are only a bit better than Miami (very much like the keys).
[video][/video]

Eleuthera- super old clip with bad quality, but you will get the idea!
[video][/video]

Exumas-

Crooked Island-
Enjoy your adventure!

Crooked Island- unique kiting exploration

Crooked Island- miles of waves

Bimini (and the rest of the Bahamas- land of the Bulls!)

Enjoy!

Kent
Reviving an old post but I’m planning to be on Elbow Cay in November. Any intel on riding around there? I will likely bring my wing setup. Are there any waves on the ocean side?

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Greenturtle » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:49 pm

Hi StellaBlu, you cannot go wrong on Elbow! The island is so small that no matter the wind direction you will be able to find the perfect spot very quickly, as I assume you will have a golf cart to get around. Typical wind direction will have east in it (the ocean side) but any wind direction can happen there too. Waves are not guaranteed but there can be some swell, the southern half of the cay on the ocean side has no reef/coral gardens so if there is swell it will come in to the beach there (garbonzo beach area and south of there).
There are expansive coral gardens on the north half ocean side of the cay that will keep it flatter on that end. Take a mask out with you if riding the north end ocean side so you can stop and have a look in occasionally! Use google maps in satellite mode and you will see clearly what Im talking about, waves hitting the south beach and the coral area to the north end.
Not sure about November averages but Bahamas generally gets a lot of 12knt days so if you have a big light wind kite I would pack that in addition to your wing setup (depending on the forecast of course).
Sure wish I was going! Im definitely hitting one of the abaco cays this winter but not until jan/feb probably...
A report of how things are looking generally on elbow after your trip would be appreciated for sure!
These users thanked the author Greenturtle for the post:
StellaBlu (Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”