bie
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

achilles rupture

Postby bie » Wed May 06, 2009 2:55 pm

Hallo.
I've been so unlucky that i've ruptured my achilles tendon while i was doing gymnastics :( . So now I want to hear if some of you guys have experienced the same? And how long time of the water am I looking at here?
I'm thinking that if I'm just crusing around, the pressure on the tendon is not that big. My doctor told me that I wouldn't be able to surf for the next 6 months eventhough I'm fairly young (28), but I hope some of you have some good stories about a quick rehab. :)

j1finnn1
Frequent Poster

Re: achilles rupture

Postby j1finnn1 » Wed May 06, 2009 6:40 pm

I don't have any experience with that, but I am sorry, bie. Good luck and a speedy recovery.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Wed May 06, 2009 7:23 pm

Haven't badly messed up my achilles, hope I never do. Still, have periodic strains in the gastroc related to skiing, impact that area and up the risk of achilles damage. I know a kiter who damaged his achilles when he was a teenager. That calf approaches half the size of his other leg today. He is still a strong, healthy rider but it has to take a toll to lose that much muscle mass and stability. Ruptured achilles is a serious injury. I would get the best medical advice you can find, likely not here, and follow it! I've read where motivated athletes with proper care have returned to normal activity in as short as three, more often six or months+. This stuff reinjures way too easily if you set yourself up for it and may be followed with incomplete recovery. All speed in healing but let it get there first.

srrc
Medium Poster

Postby srrc » Wed May 06, 2009 7:56 pm

Sorry to hear of your injury. I had exactly that injury playing squash.
It's all very depressing at the moment but rest assured it will heal completely and will not affect future activity. In fact the repaired achilles will be stronger than the other!
The 6 weeks or so in plaster will cause loss of muscle mass (my left calf is still smaller despite years of hard activity) and the key is to regain movement and strength in those muscles.
The key is to get together with a good sports physio and set some goals. Someone who understands sports will be much more use than a hospital physio who is usually dealing with geriatrics.
Give it 4/6 months or so, make sure you are confident in your head. You have a huge advantage in that you are young and heal quicky.
About the only downside is that the wound isn't very sightly so you won't be wearing those high heels!

bie
Rare Poster

Postby bie » Sun May 10, 2009 1:30 pm

haha high heels :lol:
Thanks for the good advice guys. I'm set to get the boot of in 3 days so I'm looking forward to just being able to move around again, without too much trouble

bie
Rare Poster

Postby bie » Sun May 10, 2009 1:49 pm

By the way this is what it looked like after 5 weeks
IMG_0417.JPG

yosh
Medium Poster

Postby yosh » Tue May 12, 2009 1:04 am

i had 2 injurys back to back... your out forsure for like 6 months sorry to say!! you REALLY REALLY dont wana mess it up again and have to sit out twice as long trust me!!! im amost at a year and im still no where close back to 100% but i can now kite and push myself again finaly!!!

NOW THIS IS A SKINNY LEG!!!!!!!!

take your time with recovery and listen to you therapist.... do it right the first time and you should be fine!!!!
Last edited by yosh on Tue May 12, 2009 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

FckGravity
Frequent Poster
Style: Wakestyle/Freestyle
Gear: Flexi HadlowPro's
Brand Affiliation: Crazyfly Team Rider

Postby FckGravity » Tue May 12, 2009 1:07 am

That looks so painful... :worry:

seanflex
Medium Poster
Style: free
Gear: flysurfer outlaw 10m, ozone acces

Postby seanflex » Tue May 12, 2009 3:28 am

dam, what r u going to do with your summer... i would freek out...

srrc
Medium Poster

Postby srrc » Tue May 12, 2009 9:26 pm

Curiously, it isn't painful when first ruptured.
The tendon has no nerve endings, the tissue around obviously gets disturbed during the repair op so while it's pretty uncomfortable it's not painful.

Return to “Kitesurfing”