Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Well Designed Release Systems?

Postby marekmk » Mon May 25, 2009 8:33 am

What are the well designed release system?

Possible criteria : can be released by either right or left hand, reliability, durability in a beach, environment, serviceability, ability to hook in and out of easily without the system getting in the way, ability to load after a release in the water, ect, ect.

please post pictures

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Well Designed Release Systems?

Postby ronnie » Mon May 25, 2009 10:15 am

One worth checking. The only problem I have read of is that on a few of them, the double prongs are too open and it takes you to hold them together as you clip it together again. You get 2 with the kite, and if one has a problem, I think they would replace it for you.

shane1
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby shane1 » Mon May 25, 2009 10:48 am

I think push away systems can be very hard to release.....if dragged through water,sand, snow behind a looping kite it can be impossible to push against the direction you are dragged to Happend myself with a push away release and resulted in a broken arm.

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 9m2
Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 13m2
Cabrinha Imperial 2008 128 board
Brand Affiliation: Promotes Cabrinha for the national distributor.

Postby Kosh » Mon May 25, 2009 10:52 am

The Cabrinha quick release is still the "simplest, easiest, best designed, most reliable, most durable and easiest system to reset on the water" which I've seen :D . Did I mention that it is quite small too?

Antigrav
Frequent Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Brand Affiliation: Shop rider

Postby Antigrav » Mon May 25, 2009 12:20 pm

I really like the naish release system, not only does it work, but it has the male/female parts on the bar and loop which make it so easy to hook back in after an unhooked move!
I also love the north iron heart, very easy to use and really easy to reset, even in the water

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil

Postby marekmk » Tue May 26, 2009 10:13 pm

Thanks for input, yes the Cabrina is a great simple system, to use and reload.

The Naish is good on the first release but terrible on the secondary release.
Have seen a kiter with a badly mutilated hand due to the pin slashing into the
fingers and palms.

The Nobile looks good, will check it out

gbleck
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gbleck » Wed May 27, 2009 4:42 am

Yea. Big fan of the cab mushroom. Simple to use. If it fails it's likely to fail open not closed. Same release and reflex on loop and leash. Big dumb arrow for the kooks. Saw some one that claimed to have accidentally release one this weekend. It would be hard to accidentally push it away but I guess it's doable. I find pull releases to be to easy to unintentionally set off and I'm not a fan of systems that aren't ambidextrous. A safety release should be findable instantly with either hand.

BLACKJACK
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Brighton
Favorite Beaches: I love them all
Style: Old school
Gear: CORE GT kites,Flysurfer Speed 3, Ocean Rodeo Makos ,Flyradicals and HP Spleene Rip.

Postby BLACKJACK » Wed May 27, 2009 10:20 am

Personally I think the Core QR release is best, I dont give a shih about it I don t clean it, I DONT wash it in fresh water I DONT care about it in any way but when I use it from time to time it always works , I dont use it very often since I depend on SS sure fire spreader bar, but I think its very good to have reliable back out. When I started I depended on so called Big Black QR from BEST - what a piece of shkit !!!!.

just do it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush Varial-X, Airush Apex
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby just do it » Wed May 27, 2009 11:06 am

I think that there are quite a few good working Quick Release Solutions and Safety Systems on the market right now. The problem is that nowadays you need systems that work well for unhooked riders and hooked-in riders.
At Spleene we took a good look at the various aspects of safety systems and came up with a double safety system.
When our first (primary) Quick Release is actiated it pulls on both front-lines of the kite until it is totally depowered and if that isn't enough you have a Total Release Option which completely disconnect the rider from the kite and also disconnects the Handlepass leash at the same time. It is possible to use this Total Release Option straight away without having to use the first release.
To me that is as save as it gets but I am sure there is always room for improvement.
Our first Quick Release uses a somewhat similar release solution to the well proven Cabrinha system which has pretty low release forces.
However, we made the red plastic release part a bit bigger and moulded it into a mushroom shape which I believe is easier to grab and protect the hand a bit more.
On top of this we enabled the top of the chickenloop to spin and unwind the flying lines when the bar is pulled towards the rider. I believe that this is an excellent system and works much better than most swivel type devices above the bar which often don't unspin the lines properly.
Here is a link to the manual of the Spleene "IQ"-Bar and release system which shows everything in detail.
http://www.spleene.com/pdf_info/Q-Kite_ ... igging.pdf

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed May 27, 2009 11:17 am

just do it wrote:I think that there are quite a few good working Quick Release Solutions and Safety Systems on the market right now. The problem is that nowadays you need systems that work well for unhooked riders and hooked-in riders.
At Spleene we took a good look at the various aspects of safety systems and came up with a double safety system.
When our first (primary) Quick Release is actiated it pulls on both front-lines of the kite until it is totally depowered and if that isn't enough you have a Total Release Option which completely disconnect the rider from the kite and also disconnects the Handlepass leash at the same time. It is possible to use this Total Release Option straight away without having to use the first release.
To me that is as save as it gets but I am sure there is always room for improvement.
Our first Quick Release uses a somewhat similar release solution to the well proven Cabrinha system which has pretty low release forces.
However, we made the red plastic release part a bit bigger and moulded it into a mushroom shape which I believe is easier to grab and protect the hand a bit more.
On top of this we enabled the top of the chickenloop to spin and unwind the flying lines when the bar is pulled towards the rider. I believe that this is an excellent system and works much better than most swivel type devices above the bar which often don't unspin the lines properly.
Here is a link to the manual of the Spleene "IQ"-Bar and release system which shows everything in detail.
http://www.spleene.com/pdf_info/Q-Kite_ ... igging.pdf

You go for a handlepass and let go of the bar. The secondary release on the chickenloop is at the other end of your handlepass leash.
The Cabrinha IDS is basically the same.

Return to “Kitesurfing”