North Rebel 2009 Origami problem

Forum for kitesurfers
mark van haze
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

North Rebel 2009 Origami problem

Postby mark van haze » Mon May 25, 2009 9:51 am

Anybody have trouble with the rebel folding up and becoming un relaunchable? We had a few cases recently even though the LE was fully inflated.

kylek
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro, Kobyashi
Favorite Beaches: Guajiru, Salvo
Gear: old north stuff
Been thanked: 0

Re: North Rebel 2009 Origami problem

Postby kylek » Mon May 25, 2009 3:34 pm

Only had issues when underinflated personally.

North has issued noseline upgrades for 09 Rebel now though that prevents any distortion of that sort. Talk to your retailer, they are free and take 1 minute to install.

Saami
Frequent Poster

Postby Saami » Tue May 26, 2009 2:46 pm

Yes, I have had the Rebel '09 crumble into a ball and fall to the water. Twice, in the one day I flew the kite... Both times, it happened when the kite was traversing the powerzone under signficant load.

I don't know if North's upgrade fully fixes this problem or not. After experiencing the origami problem twice, I became skeptical of the Rebel '09 so I have not tried the kite again. So the upgrade might fix it. I have to say, though, that this kind of problem ought to be caught and fixed well before a kite goes into production.

If you search this and other forums, you will find a number of complaints about this problem. But, again, it may have been corrected by now.

On the other hand, I can vouch for the Rebel '08. That is a solid kite and I never had this kind of problem with it in the 100+ hours I have flown that model.

Hybridkiter
Medium Poster

Postby Hybridkiter » Tue May 26, 2009 3:12 pm

I had the 09 9 fold twice--both times in a loop, and both times at the 6 psi printed on the. Since then--20 sessions?--I pump to 8.5 to 9 psi and put the extra noseline on. Zero problems--as in none. I really think this fixes the issue.

Rbgar
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: nude-
Style: Smooth
Gear: Everything
Brand Affiliation: Self sponsored team rider

Postby Rbgar » Tue May 26, 2009 5:04 pm

anyone have a pic of the "extra nose line" mentioned here?

Rbgar
Frequent Poster

Postby Rbgar » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:12 pm

would someone please pm me or post a pic of this extra nose line, pretty please :remybussi:

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:25 am

Don't know about this years model but the 2008 fifth line and attachment points don't work well together at all.
Self launch and self land does not work well.
Relaunch off the water is crappy.
The 16M turns inside out all the time.
North does not want to talk about it or talk about resolution or give any useful suggestions when you call them about it, and their distributors don't know what to say to help either.
Lots of kite companies have made crappy kites but these guys just don't understand customer service.

Slingshot and Ocean Rodeo customer service, on the other hand, will keep me coming back forever.

Hong Kong Phooey
Medium Poster

Postby Hong Kong Phooey » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:01 am

You may well be right about the 16m, but my 2008 9m and 12m have never given me any jip, apart from being a bit dozey when wave riding in light winds. The 9m is so powerful that I rarely use the 12, and 16m can only give maybe one knot lower range - I have never been sinking out and been ridden past.

Relaunch could not be easier. Yes a big crash is going to tangle it up, but that is the nature of 5 line kites, and given time it usually sorts itself out. Relaunch after pulling the bung is tricky, granted. Self launch is easy too, using the 'walk the lines round into wind' method, and the ease and safety of the self land is why I buy 5th line Rebels year after year. Infact in light to medium winds, I just fly the tip onto the sand, and yank the 5th line, rather than pull the bung.

The 07s did turn inside out on me a couple of times. Never the 08. I cant speak for the customer service, because despite massive abuse at my hand, they have never shown any damage at all.

I liked the 09s, but not by enough more than the 08s, to have to sell, and buy again.

Rbgar
Frequent Poster

Postby Rbgar » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:40 pm

North has always been straight up with me, I've had them since 2005 and now i have '08 rebel 10 & 14, '09 12 & 7 and a '06 16 rhino, all good kites :thumb:

wjb
Frequent Poster

Postby wjb » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:16 pm

I had this problem but figured out that my pump gauge was way off and was not pumping them hard enough. Pump them to 8psi or take the gauge off and just pump them til they are hard and you will have no problems at all. Super rock steady in the gusty winds we get here on the Nor Cal coast in the spring. That is even without the support line. I hear people complain about a kite companys response to problems. Buy from a good dealer and you will not have these problems. It is their job to handle these for you. Mine is Hunter at Gokitesurf.com and I can not recommend him highly enough. :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”