Forum for kitesurfers
fishy
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Which Kite 11-13: very low bar pressure and easy relaunch

Postby fishy » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:23 pm

Don't forget the 2008 Convert, an overlooked kite most of the time - fills your criteria, and is cheap as well :thumb:

I think people get put off by the fact that it is used by schools, and marketed as a beginners kite

Manix
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Vrouwenploder, Zierikzee, Oesterdam

And Beauduc in south of France
Style: All round, and Oldschool
Gear: Rhino, Fuel

Postby Manix » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:03 pm

LF Havoc... Light but predicticable bar pressure, and easy relaunch. Great great kite... :wink:

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:06 am

fishy wrote:Don't forget the 2008 Convert, an overlooked kite most of the time - fills your criteria, and is cheap as well :thumb:
huh?
there must be some freakonomics going on?????? no wonder the world economy is gone to shite

last years 2008 Convert retail price $1425 kite and bar (and Cabrinha usually calls a 2007 kite a 2008 kite since they release them like a year early)

versus

new 2009 Kahoona 9.5m retail $729 +$349 bar = $1078

noel
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby noel » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:17 am

robertovillate wrote:
fishy wrote:Don't forget the 2008 Convert, an overlooked kite most of the time - fills your criteria, and is cheap as well :thumb:
huh?
there must be some freakonomics going on?????? no wonder the world economy is gone to shite

last years 2008 Convert retail price $1425 kite and bar (and Cabrinha usually calls a 2007 kite a 2008 kite since they release them like a year early)

versus

Boy those Kahoonas are expensive huh? SS T3 9m, SS Ignition 136 or144 and a harness = $1200.00

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:27 am

man, those kahoonos are expensive.

I've got a 2009 Eclipse Nano 11m, plus LF proof board and Mystic warrior harness all for $1299.00.

Converts? great kites btw for relaunch and ease of riding.

bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:29 am

OK, Which is exactly why I said "retail"...an attempt to compare apples to apples on the relative retail value.

Packages and blowout sales are out there for almost every kite, board, bar, harness imaginable. A lot of time you don't have your choice in size, color, brand, etc., but the gear in high demand and that has best long term value usually hold closer to the retail prices.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:00 pm

No worries...just thought i'd throw in a little dose of reality for today's marketplace. For the price conscious consumer (who is most everyone now), you can get the latest up to date 2009 gear and packages at sick prices. You have to admit it's a hell of a deal... for $1299. New 2009 Nano with bullet proof warranty, 2009 LF Proof board (or Sub a UG Future 144 for $100 more) and a 2009 Mystic Warrior 2.

Apples to apples? no...not meant to be, but you can get the whole meal for a little more.

bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

kitesafeflorida
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Any beach without garbage on it!!!!
Style: Waves and flatwater
Gear: Cabrinha IDS kites and boards. Nobile boards as well.
Brand Affiliation: Watersports West and Cabrinha

Postby kitesafeflorida » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:33 pm

robertovillate wrote:
huh?

versus

Roberto,

I didn't have to dig to far into an IDS search to find another thread of brand vs. brand with you. Let's be fair and state the obvious when comparing apples to apples.

Fair and reasonable warranty vs. 1 year warranty.

From Best warranty page.
"If you ride several times a week for several hours each session, and your kite wears out after a few months. Sorry, that's normal wear and tear and is NOT covered."

Or, you can ride everyday, all day, for a year, and still be covered from brands that charge more.

Your teaching me so much good information about products out there. Glad I joined the forum. I knew this would be useful.

I know that Best takes care of its customers, but if I were a consumer, and I read that statement vs. one year warranty, I might think about spending more $$$ for a structured warranty with a set time. "Kite wears out after a few months????" I can't actually believe that is in print on the Best website. They actually admit that its possible for the kite to wear out in a few months. No wonder they gotta keep the prices down. Ok I am kidding, but for real. Wow!!!

So yeah, I will pay a bit more so if my kite does wear out in a few months, I'm covered. Oh yeah, I like one pumps too. That has some value doesn't it??? And I like the fact that I can't buy my kite out of a car, or trailer, or storage unit, or some other shady location. Feels like a drug deal. Ok, that was hilarious. C'mon you gotta laugh at that one.

The Best vs. the world debate will go on forever!!!!

I imagine as I do my research on the IDS system, you are gonna be all over it with the same pimpin.

For what its worth people, Roberto teaches in the Tampa Bay area, and has not gained much respect from the dozen or more instructors that work in this area. I was always taught as a kid, that the person with the biggest mouth knows the least.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:31 pm

kitesafeflorida,

Your feeble attempts to ignore/avoid the facts by redirecting the issue into a personal attack on me is probably pointless. I really do not care what other instructors in the Tampa Bay area think. And for some reason some people don't have the cajones to state their real names anyway. Some of the other instructors are good people who I respect, and a few of them are not. I intentionally don't interact with most because I don't have the time or patience, and the politics and bullshit are too thick most of the time. In general I've frankly never seen so many drama queens in one place.

If you don't already know this people buy a lot of gear from a lot of different places, local shops, on-line retailers, etc. It's the way of the world, get used to it. . Working for a local shop does not in itself make you any more legit than a guy who has a website and a warehouse. Again, some shops do a great job and others don't. Perhaps the point is - who is zooming who? Who sells the right gear to the customer at competitive prices and then stands behind the customer when they need it? Who tries to sweep problems under the carpet, or who tries to deal with reality and keep customers happy and riding their kites?

But let''s get back to the point of Warranty issues: Feel like making another wager? I'll wager any amount[/b] you want to - just name it- that there are 50 satisfied BEST customers for every 1 Cabrinha customer when it comes to warranty issues.

I have no problem if someone wants to pay more for a better warranty policy - but the big question: is that what they are really getting? So far, from many things I have experienced, many people I know who have had similar experiences, and ongoing Cabrinha warranty issues I read about every day, I would have to disagree.

You can read whatever you want to into what is printed on BEST's or Cabrinha's (or anyone elses) warranty policy. In the end it's just a piece of paper and the ACTUAL performance on the warranty's is what separates the wheat from the chafe. From what I know BEST has been more than reasonable with warranty claims since their beginnings. What about Cabrinha - have you been reading about ANY of these issues??????seriously?????? If not, please take some time and read your history books. So, again in the end it boils down to specific performance by that manufacturer.

And I am sure a lot of people are still wondering why they have such a hard time getting a quick, free replacement part on something that was designed and marketed as such a huge integral component of their newfangled, safest in the industry, answer to all your problems kite/bar system. On this particular aspect of Cabrinha warranty performance I see that not much has changed in 5 years.

Now, I imagine some people want to get back to the subject of the thread - sorry for "hijacking" again. :-?

schmoe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby schmoe » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:55 am

Roberto what is this bolony? You can buy Converts for very cheap, this is the price they sell for a long time. By saying retail YOU are ignoring the facts. The advertised prices of the kites are so low you don’t have to be a smart shopper.

You want apples to apples comparison? This is the apple: The price a customer would pay today to buy. Comparing last years price to this year is apples and oranges.

Return to “Kitesurfing”