Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Mako 140 + Session 141x43 HT

Forum for kitesurfers
BLACKJACK
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Brighton
Favorite Beaches: I love them all
Style: Old school
Gear: CORE GT kites,Flysurfer Speed 3, Ocean Rodeo Makos ,Flyradicals and HP Spleene Rip.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Mako 140 + Session 141x43 HT

Postby BLACKJACK » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:07 am

Im looking for advice if Session is good addition to my Mako as far as low end is concerned or its just too close. I use Mako for everything and absolutely love this board but I do need some backup for really low wind days, my low wind kite is 10m and if the wind drops below 14 knots I cant hold ground with my 82kg of weight, so I have to get a board that will let me stay upwind ( and hold ground) in 12/13 knots ( I think its same in Miles).
The second option would be MAKO 150 but as far as Iknow length is not that important just the width, but perhaps with MAKO its diffrent, I would think about DOOR 154 but no longer avail and 160 sounds terribly long.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Mako 140 + Session 141x43 HT

Postby robertovillate » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:59 am

82kg and a 10m kite as your low wind kite?! wow...you must have consistently strong winds where you ride. Where are you located?

The Mako and the Session are very different boards. The 41 Session is an extremely efficient board and if you could could easily use this as a light wind board. The Session will not be as comfortable in waves as the Rip but it is unbelievable as an upwind machine.

The 37 Rip is also a great board for light wind, but also great for all around winds and very versatile to ride in waves, chop, and flat water. The Rip probably rides more similarly to your Mako 140.

If staying upwind is the main priority, and if you will be riding in flat water the Session might be the ay to go. If you have chop and waves with light winds either the 37 Rip, or 39 Rip if you want even better light wind performance than the 37.

clintopher
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Virginia Beach

Postby clintopher » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:20 am

Look at Flyboards too. The Flydoors are their line of light wind/upwind machines. I've not ridden one yet but rumor has it they really stepped up their game this year when they went seperate ways from Spleene. They're cheaper than Spleene boards too.

http://www.flyboards.de/Content/470/?mnid=1735

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: https://goo.gl/maps/bc4TAhGN26ewTLJW9
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:44 am

BLACKJACK wrote:Im looking for advice if Session is good addition to my Mako as far as low end is concerned or its just too close. I use Mako for everything and absolutely love this board but I do need some backup for really low wind days, my low wind kite is 10m and if the wind drops below 14 knots I cant hold ground with my 82kg of weight, so I have to get a board that will let me stay upwind ( and hold ground) in 12/13 knots ( I think its same in Miles).
The second option would be MAKO 150 but as far as Iknow length is not that important just the width, but perhaps with MAKO its diffrent, I would think about DOOR 154 but no longer avail and 160 sounds terribly long.
I think it will be a good combo, when you travel and are limited bij package dimension and you want 2 boards with you then I think it is the best combo.
If you don't fly the 154 will be better for low end but then you got a BIG board... the session is better for playing (rotating etc)
The Mako 150 is a very fine board but the session got a bit more low end.(but rides differently..)
Regards
Arjan

just do it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush Varial-X, Airush Apex
Brand Affiliation: Airush

Postby just do it » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:22 am

The new 2009 Spleene Sessions (both HT and FT) have more rocker than the Sessions of previous years.
Thanks to the channel Jet Bottom on the HT-Sessions there is no difference in terms of early planing compared to previous models but they handle the chop and waves a lot better now.
However they still have a parabolic outline which gives you the excellent upwind ability but also means that they are a little less freestyle friendly.
For this reason Spleene introduced the lagrer RIPs in 2007 and 2008. For 2009 you now have the HT-RIP37 (137-44) and the HT-RIP39 (139-47). The RIPs have a conventional outline which is more suited to freestyle riding but obviously can't deliver quite the same amount of upwind ability as a Session or Door can.
The HT-RIP37 is the one that comes closest to the HT-Session in terms of lowend and the larger HT-RIP39 gets into Door territory with its planing ability.
In the end it comes down to what feel you prefer but the '09 HT-RIP39 is pretty awesome in lightwinds and feels very agile.
For me the HT-RIP37 is already large enough and I weight 75kg but my technique helps me to plane very early even on a slightly smaller board.
Whilst you are still trying to get to grips with Kitesurfing you will need something a little larger.

John B.
Medium Poster

Postby John B. » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:29 pm

If you want to keep using your Mako another option would be to get a 14 M kite. I have the Mako with a 14M and 10M quiver and it can cover a very large range.

BLACKJACK
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Brighton
Favorite Beaches: I love them all
Style: Old school
Gear: CORE GT kites,Flysurfer Speed 3, Ocean Rodeo Makos ,Flyradicals and HP Spleene Rip.

Postby BLACKJACK » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:17 am

John, you must be kiting in extreme light cond.or perhaps you weight a tonne :D ,I normally kite in 15- 30knots( Australia) and my biggest kite is 10.5m keep in mind thats DELTA kite its sweet spot is around 20 knots, my only prob is that ocasionally the forecast fails and the wind drops to 12-13 knots (it happened too many times this year) during the session , I hate packing up too early( usually stay in water for 5 hrs) for such ocassions I do need another board, bigger kite is no option, I do believe the kites must be getting smaller and smaller but quicker and more powerfull.
I will get another kite next season FS Speed or Psycho4 with SA fabric but again only 10m so I might still need specific light wind board to cope in 12 knots.
Thanks guys for suggestions in regard to the board, Im looking now at HT RIP37 or 39, but also as clintopher suggested Flydoor ,it should pair up nicely with my future FS kite unfortunatelly couldnt find any revies on 154. :(

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:54 am

I'm thinking the other way, I have a Nobile EXT 139 x 46 for light wind, and I'm thinking about adding a Mako 140 for higher winds and chop/waves. I would keep riding the EXT for light wind and flat water.

Any thoughts?

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:51 am

When considering a bigger board keep in mind how it will affect your toeside riding.
Very wide boards will be harder to ride toeside.
A few companies have started to make asymetric outlines and a couple asymetric flex.

Flyboards and eclipse have asymetric board outlines.

Just look down ot your feet and you'll see that the front and the back of your feet are very
different.
When riding a surfboard riders will more their feet or at least one more towards the rail on the toeside so as to edge better and put more strength into the rail.
With a twin tip you ride in the straps at all times (unless you are falling :wink: )
This is why an asymetric outline helps.
The board will edge better when on toeside and on "hop to toeside and carve" transitions.
An asymetric board actually feels more symetric under your feet.

Also having a more ridgid rail on the heelside will make the board more efficient when riding heelside.

Concave is also important as it will help a big board track better and be smoother on chop without
relying on efficiency eating flex.

http://www.flyboards.de/Content/471/?mnid=1734

http://www.eclipsekiteboarding.com/site ... sabre.html

Another option is an ultralight hollow carbon fiber surfboard amde by Aviso.
These boards have loads of floatation and a unique flex pattern.
These boards have very riding rails, but a flexible hull.
This gives the boards great precision and efficiency combined with an amazingly smooth ride.
Another cool thing about these boards is that you can tune the concave in the hull by pushing more or les air in and out of the vent plug.
I will tune my Avisos to a deep concave for low wind and upwind preformance with great tracking.
For a more powered up session where I want a loser board I will let more air in ... great for a smooth and lose downwinder powered up really nicely.
Great thing about these boards is that a 6'6" Aviso surfboard is lighter than many average sized twintips. This makes the boards very nimble and easy to swing around.
Turns quicker than low wind twin tips and goes upwind so well with the flex in the hull along the cnterline just smoothing out the chop.

www.avisosurf.com
A board to look out for is the Slingshot Celeritas comming out soon in an Aviso edition :o 8)

One last thing.... ona big board ...twin tip... construction quality is very important.
Some are definatly "overweight".

www.spleene.com and www.flyboards.com are really well made and really last for ages.
Theyreally keep their flex pattern for years. Both also have low wind in their "heritage".

Return to “Kitesurfing”