just do it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush Varial-X, Airush Apex
Brand Affiliation: Airush
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: small kite big board?

Postby just do it » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:59 am

biggins wrote:Folks, NO brands please!!! If you need to talk about your brands, PM eachother or start a new thread.

Just kite/board size talk here...anyway.

Winds I was thinking was under 14knots, not super light, but light enough. My weight is 85kgs, but hoping to get down to 75kg this summer. :)

anyway, sounds like some go the surfboard route and mess around strapless, while others prefer to be powered on a small board.

Seems like you could get little hops on a small kite with a larger twin by building up speed and using small waves/chop to launch from. Small kites are just so much faster with more "pop" and a good wake pop with a kiteloop would get you a descent enough jump I'd think to do most tricks. You woudn't have the hang though...hmm, I'll have to see. I've been a big kite guy for years, so it'll be interesting to try.

thanks for the inputs, anyone else doing a big twin/small kite and still doing tricks in light winds?
If you do manage to get down to a weight of 75kg, which is the same weight as mine then I can give you my personal impressions of riding with a 9m kite as the biggest in my standard quiver. If you don't manage to drop the expected weight then you would probably be on the 10.5m which would be comparable to me using the 9m.
The key thing is that your "small kite" needs to have very good lowend(pretty obvious), that it is very nimble around the sky, that it has very little backstall and goes upwind well.
The other part of the equasion is the board which not only needs to be bigger but also it needs to be able to accelerate well. Top speed isn't that important but acceleration is, otherwise the kite gets starved of power and the board won't be able to keep up with the kite.
I mentioned in a different post that my combo of 9m kite and 132-40cm board needs around 12-13knts to be rideable. If I use a large surfboard or a large TT , then I could take about 1-2knts off that mark.
Another option is to fix some 5-7m extensions which can also give you a knot more lowend.
However one thing that will probably never change is that no matter how much lowend a small kite produces you can't really ride it below 10knts.
Some small kites have surprising lowend but work on pure acceleration and agility. Once the windspeed is too low they can't get this acceleration and then you just need a truck like pull as you get from a super big foil which doesn't convert powerspikes into forward drive but mainly works on the principle of scooping up as much wind-pressure as possible.

Anyway, these are just my experiences.

P.S. A low rider weight is also absolutely essential :thumb:

thebroz
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby thebroz » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:59 pm

[quote="biggins"]Folks, NO brands please!!! If you need to talk about your brands, PM eachother or start a new thread.

quote]
Let's not forget rider weight, I think the brand kite is pertinant info in this case, Fred is on a foil 6m some say that would compare to an 8M inflatable, not to mention those sweet Aviso boards he rides, probably can't compare those to a average surf board. I'll keep my brand out of the discussion because I don't think it matters it's a supper fast turning SLE and I need over 22 MPH to be able to stay up wind depending on the current, on a 6'2" thruster.

vp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Island, Sandy Hook, Long Branch
Style: foil / race
Gear: Ozone R1V3
Delta Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Green Hat Kiteboarding

Postby vp » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:50 pm

pbmaniac27 wrote:i guess each to their own
but I am really surprised you guys like having to work the shit out a kite all the time and having to worry about getting upwind if the wind drops out anymore. Someone help me see where the fun is in this.
agree - no fun in that at all.. but if it's blowing above 12 knots and i'm on my skimboard , i dont have to.
under 12 knots - no point in riding , in my opinion..
pbmaniac27 wrote: For me there is absolultely no appeal in small kite big flydoor style board..
big flydoor style - agree.. skimboard - different story .. so much to do , so much to learn . check out this video:

i guess , i just hate big kites - all about personal preference.

pbmaniac27
Frequent Poster

Postby pbmaniac27 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:14 pm

the skim board thing makes sense to me too. Just riding those can be hard and there are alot of tricks that can be done. Jibbing a skim board is really tricky. Thats what I would do if I wasnt into wakestyle and had big kite phobia. Skimboards arent even that big anyway.

In regards to the the poster who said you could loop the kite to generate power spikes for wakestyle, I dont think that would really work because the pull comes through in both a very differnt direction and usually with a power spike half way through the trick and not in the begining. Would make the lines harder to slack.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:42 pm

biggins wrote: thanks for the inputs, anyone else doing a big twin/small kite and still doing tricks in light winds?
Jumping and tricks with a small kite and big board are a different thing from big kite small board.

The whole thing is going to be faster and less forgiving.

You go up quick.... more vertical, but you have to work the kite in the air or you will come down to fast. Becasue you have to work the kite you will also come down hot as far as horizontal; speed goes.
Also due to your bigger board ... board position mistakes get nasty.
Personally I don't think that big board small kite is a good combo for "peace of mind" while doing and learning tricks.

A small kite just won't have the steady lift and flaot of a bigger kite.

Also big efficient boards tend to have less rocker..... rocker is very helpfull for landing things when you are a bit off the mark.

TopHat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Localism is a Social Problem.
Style: Unknown to you...
Gear: A SURFBOARD
A FIXED PULLEY BAR
A C-KITE From a Company that Mocks Me
Brand Affiliation: No Brands or Tattoos
I BUY MY OWN...

Postby TopHat » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:37 pm

Small Kites, Big Boards :thumb:
That's all we ride around here :D
Skimboards work great also. Shinn is killing it that flick on a skimmer. :cool2:
More volume, Less drag. :kiff:
Jumping does not seem to be a problem with the proper Kite/Bar/Line set up. :goodluck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNZ2vr7jpSM

Aloha, Have Fun, Ride safe... :hut:

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:49 pm

TopHat,

thanks for the advice. met you once at the 2002 gorge games, although I mostly rode at Rufus to avoid the crowds. Funny how I went down to a 119cm board then with a big kite...trends change I guess. :roll:

your strapless vids rock btw, thanks

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:29 pm

thebroz wrote:
biggins wrote:Folks, NO brands please!!! If you need to talk about your brands, PM eachother or start a new thread.

quote]
Let's not forget rider weight, I think the brand kite is pertinant info in this case, Fred is on a foil 6m some say that would compare to an 8M inflatable, not to mention those sweet Aviso boards he rides, probably can't compare those to a average surf board. I'll keep my brand out of the discussion because I don't think it matters it's a supper fast turning SLE and I need over 22 MPH to be able to stay up wind depending on the current, on a 6'2" thruster.
The 6m i'm talking about is not a flat high aspect ratio foril so as far as power is concerned it is equivalent to a same sized bow kite.... maybe a wee bit more power at the edge of the wind window.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:33 pm

TopHat wrote:Small Kites, Big Boards :thumb:
That's all we ride around here :D
Skimboards work great also. Shinn is killing it that flick on a skimmer. :cool2:
More volume, Less drag. :kiff:
Jumping does not seem to be a problem with the proper Kite/Bar/Line set up. :goodluck:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNZ2vr7jpSM

Aloha, Have Fun, Ride safe... :hut:
Biggins

Keep in mind that Top Hat is a small guy so what is a small kite for him is closer to a normal sized kite for the average guy..

Also he rides in particularly good spots and has exceptional skills.
He is a very efficient and "no brute force" riders. I admire that skill a lot :thumb:

sflinux
Frequent Poster

Postby sflinux » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:35 pm

This is a good video for the thread:
http://www.vimeo.com/4365314
I'm really impressed with the low end of the 6M Nano. I still need more time to figure out how to get the maximum low end out of the kite.
As far as boards, I've ridden a 8'4" longboard which has a good low end. I made a homemade plywood (2 ft wide x 5 1/2" long) directional fish that does just as well (one small fin in the center). I just finished making a directional plywood that is as wide as a glide but has an oval nose (a little more length than the glide, so as not to lose any surface area). That board has been rocking. Very loose. Rides like a skimboard but feels like a surfboard. It has a straight rail and a box tail (like a race directonal). Currently riding it with no fins, so no drag. Low end is better than my 6' surfboards. It's fun to do shove-it jibes on that board

Return to “Kitesurfing”