Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Full kite deployment in water for safety (and access).

Forum for kitesurfers
FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Full kite deployment in water for safety (and access).

Postby FredBGG » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:33 pm

Kosh wrote:The most scary part with kiting is being in deep water with the kite and lines in the sea.
Always afraid when the lines loose tension. Too easy to suddenly get a part of your body around a line..
Would never try doing the stuff in the video (unpacking and launching the kite from water)
It's actually much easier than it looks.
The lines never go slack becasue the kite is downwind of you.
As the kite drifts away there is always a fair bit of tension in the lines.
Also an important thing to remember is that with the flysurfer kites you drift the kite downwind with only about 25% of inflation. The kite will not take off without getting more air into the kite.
Then once it launches, after pulling in on the front lines and getting more air into the kite, it goes up with very little power becasue it is partially inflatted and as a result super inefficient.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:40 pm

Thanks Fred for coming up with alternative ideas for dealing with congested shore conditions. Identifying the hazardous area and getting away from it if you can makes sense.
These users thanked the author RickI for the post:
Pemba (Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:36 pm)
Rating: 10%

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:43 pm

marcfrm wrote:
bloah wrote:Ihere is the video of other guy doing it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2PCJsKf3Jo
Well, he is a Flysurfer team rider on the boat with the Flysurfer boss.
Does it really count ?
Does it really work daily for the "average kiter" ?
I'm not exactly a fast learner, but after going over things in my head and one the beach....
setting up the lines nicely on the bar..... and a practice run on the beach..... practiced letting out the lines with some tension on them....had a friend pulling on the other end of the lines.

Anyway so far a 100% success rate for me. However I've only done it about 15 times.
It's actually easier to do it in the water than from the boat, becasue the boat drifts around and can turn. When you are in the water you are a good "water anchor".
Also I have only done it in relatively flat water. Any significant swell could be a problem if you don't swim far enough out.

I would not recommend it as an alternative to a safe launch on land with a nice clean beach etc.
I brought up this issue due to several deaths involving dangerous land launching in risky locations.
Last week a very experienced kiter was killed at Lake Mojave when launching is a rocky and crowded beach.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:55 pm

RickI wrote:Thanks Fred for coming up with alternative ideas for dealing with congested shore conditions. Identifying the hazardous area and getting away from it if you can makes sense.
I guess we need to come up with a way to do it with inflato kites.

I remember reading about a product for inflating kites that was a small compressed air canister.
Looked small enough to carry. With one pump kites this could be an option.

Swimming out with an already inflated kite would be a problem in many spots.
We all know how difficult it is to swim-in a kite when you can't relaunch.

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:58 pm

done the swim out thing before with inflated kite, inflating a kite while on water sounds like a hassle to me.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:42 am

Would be pretty darn difficult to swim with an inflated kite if the wind is side onshore or onshore.

But your right inflating a kite on the water would be a hassle, but a hassle still beats getting hurt or killed.

Particular care would need to be taken so as to get no water into the bladder.
I'm pretty sure that would be a problem.
First I doudt it would be good for the bladder.
Second if the water were to end up in one tip you would have a wonky kite.
If water gets into a water foil it just drains out of the drain vents at the tip.
I actually deliberatly get a bit of water into the kite if the wind is stronger so as to keep it
"calmed down" and so as to keep the kite from launching untill I really want it too.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:44 am

ScottM wrote:done the swim out thing before with inflated kite, inflating a kite while on water sounds like a hassle to me.
Scott

When you did the swim out with inflated kite thing how did you handle the bar and lines.
I'm wondering how the bridel on a bow etc would be like to handle when the kite is already inflated.

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:19 pm

Just have the bar and lines set right and allow to drift downwind of the kite making sure connections are correct no tangles, twists wraps or anything like that.

I'm not sure what you mean by how the bridle would be like to handle, I don't hold it by the bridle when swimming if that's what you mean. Anyway once you're at your launch spot, sink the leading edge to weight down the kite and allow to drift nose first. Once the kite reaches the end of the lines it'll spin and then pop into the relaunch mode and off you go!

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:11 am

Hi guys.
This question has come up so often that I decided to put a little clip on U tube so everyone can see that it is no hassle at all. Just got to find my cameras battery charger and will get into producing it.
I do most of my launching from a small boston whaler (millions) and usually launch and hand the kite to anyone on board for a "dry hair session" if their riding ability level allows.
Will update when ready
Nico

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:03 am

ScottM wrote:Just have the bar and lines set right and allow to drift downwind of the kite making sure connections are correct no tangles, twists wraps or anything like that.

I'm not sure what you mean by how the bridle would be like to handle, I don't hold it by the bridle when swimming if that's what you mean. Anyway once you're at your launch spot, sink the leading edge to weight down the kite and allow to drift nose first. Once the kite reaches the end of the lines it'll spin and then pop into the relaunch mode and off you go!
So if I understand correctly you set-up your lines on the kite and wrap them up, but leaving enough line out so as to drag the lines and bar behind the kite. You swim out holding the kite with one hand. When you get out to where you want to be you get some water behing the leading edge with the kite on it's "back". You then grab the wrapped up bar and lines and let the kite drift. letting out the lines. Once the lines are fully extended you launch like you were relaunching.

I imagine that you need to have side shore or slightly side offshore winds to do this.
Don't think it would be to easy to make much headway with an inflated kite and swimming with just one hand. Fins that could be stashed in a back pack or impact vest pouch would make a big difference.

Return to “Kitesurfing”