KE
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Zipper on strutts breaking

Postby KE » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:40 pm

Hi

Was on the water today and a friend of mine has a naish cult where the smallest strutt zipper broke and offcourse the bladder also breaks... (No crash i the water, happenend in mid air)
The whole kite deflated and had to swim, or as I am such a nice guy help her to shore.
How is the warrenty on this kind off failure? (Zipper) (It is so F%&kin stupid that we pay this kind of money and the zipper fails!!! kite is older than 6 mouths)

I was thinking of buying a set of torches but seeing this it put me off quite a bit. (So I'll keep my 06 Rhinos abit more now I think)
Anyone know if it is possible to get torch with multipump?

regards
Kris

peghel0103
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Rodanthe, NC
Favorite Beaches: San Carlos Mexico, mainland
Style: wave and free style
Gear: Best kites

Re: Zipper on strutts breaking

Postby peghel0103 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:04 am

Hey, I lived in Cap Hatteras for the last two summers and they had problems with the zippers then. Its a factory defect, have your dealer fix it. Good luck.

windyway
Frequent Poster
Gear: .......

Postby windyway » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:46 am

I've heard of it happening, but its not that common.
I have 4 Cults from 2008. One kite had one strut zipper blow out.
Replaced the zipper and no more trouble.

Easy Prevention :strong:
Wrap duct tape around each strut, going right over the zipper.
Its easy, weightless, permanent but removeable. Why take a chance.
Duct tape now comes in 10 colors at Walmart, so you can match your kite.

KE
Medium Poster

Postby KE » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:16 am

tnx for the feedback.
Will have a chat with the local dealer.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:04 am

KE wrote:Hi

Was on the water today and a friend of mine has a naish cult where the smallest strutt zipper broke and offcourse the bladder also breaks... (No crash i the water, happenend in mid air)
The whole kite deflated and had to swim, or as I am such a nice guy help her to shore.
How is the warrenty on this kind off failure? (Zipper) (It is so F%&kin stupid that we pay this kind of money and the zipper fails!!! kite is older than 6 mouths)

I was thinking of buying a set of torches but seeing this it put me off quite a bit. (So I'll keep my 06 Rhinos abit more now I think)
Anyone know if it is possible to get torch with multipump?

regards
Kris

Is this an 09? or 08? The zipper on the 09, has a triple velcro on it...one full, and then a double across the top. I pump my kites pretty hard, and have not seen it. Though I heard of a zipper on the 08 fail.
Only way to get torch with multipump, as far as I know is to get the kite, and replace all the bladders. Of course if you are planning to get new torches they also have the triple velcro on it..

anyways, why not talk with the store and see what solutions they have for your friend.

KE
Medium Poster

Postby KE » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:21 am

Its an 08.
Have contacted the dealer og they have sendt it on so that is fine at the moment.
If it seem that I am bashing a brand I am sorry, but got so annoyed over that this one pump system has kind of big consquens when a strutt leaks.
Why doesnt Naish use the SS type one pump? (Royalties,...)

Does there exist a kit to convert to multi pump? (Need to block off all the holes in the LE and Struts)

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:50 pm

KE wrote:Its an 08.
Have contacted the dealer og they have sendt it on so that is fine at the moment.
If it seem that I am bashing a brand I am sorry, but got so annoyed over that this one pump system has kind of big consquens when a strutt leaks.
Why doesnt Naish use the SS type one pump? (Royalties,...)

Does there exist a kit to convert to multi pump? (Need to block off all the holes in the LE and Struts)
no, I personally think there are advantages and disadvantages to every system. The external system, also has its problems, like deflate, like the system pushing through the canopy upon crashing the kite, the hose coming off, and deflating the kite since few use the locks.....if you do the hoses also gets sun and might fail earlier. One of the advantages of the internal one pump system, is it's ability to distribute pressure if wrapped in the surf.
Now before you say I bash the systems I don't because generally there are so few problems with any of them, that they are well worth having.

I would not think twice on having either of them. It would not make my purchasing decision, but two kites everything but a multi pump and a one pump system I would pick the one pump system any day.

Now this thread will turn into the my dad is bigger than your dad of the "oh I hate one pump system" discussions.

The only way to convert to multi pump is to buy new bladders. I would not worry, there are so few problems with the systems...if there were a lot of problems people would just not buy the gear. It i s really that easy.

720sports
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Dillon Res, CO Aurora Res,CO Lak Mac- NE,
Favorite Beaches: South Padre, Corpus, Hatteras, Chucktown
Style: Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer Pulse2 14m, & 10m
Mako Wide 150
LQ Recoil 133- CWB Torque Bindings

Postby 720sports » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:53 am

Happened on both my cults- not as uncommon as you'd think, Jeff Howard at Prokitesurf sewed velcro loops across the zipper on mine, that's the fastest easiest and cheapest way to solve the issue that I've seen- takes the pressure off the zipper.

Kosh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 9m2
Cabrinha Crossbow IDS 13m2
Cabrinha Imperial 2008 128 board
Brand Affiliation: Promotes Cabrinha for the national distributor.

Postby Kosh » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:28 am

Here, the zipper opened up on a Cult two days ago causing a hole in the bladder. The guy had to swim in.

Return to “Kitesurfing”