Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Bar kitesurf attitude 09

Postby Toby » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:51 am

any release with not a push up release should be not be made anymore. we are close to a standard.

swell29
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby swell29 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:40 pm

Excuse me toby ,I don't understand the signification of your last sentence ,can you explain ? thanks

kiteattitude
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Vauclin, Martinique or D-Day Beaches in Normandy, France
Favorite Beaches: Martinique: Vauclin, Cap Chevalier, Tartane...

France: Vaucotte, Le Havre, Saint Aubin, Houlgate, Penne de Pie, Presqu'île de Quiberon, Lacanau...

North Carolina: Carolina Beach, Kure Beach
California: Waddle Creek, Santa Cruz

Mauricius: Le Morne
Style: freeride, waves
Gear: - Kite Attitude Bar with chicken loop and Kite Attitude quick releaser
- Eclipse Thruster 16, Nano 9
Brand Affiliation: Kite Attitude owner - Kite Attitude manufactures bars and safe quick releasers

Re: Kite Attitude Bar 09

Postby kiteattitude » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:54 am

Toby, I disagree with you about "push away quick releasers (QRs)" for a number of reasons.

First: our quick releaser passed the French Afnor test, that is a very demanding safety test for quick releasers. We heavily invested in R&D (I can show you numerous calculations by engineering teams, dozens of designs...) to come up with a very secure quick releaser. Our design is patented.
Now tell me ONE brand that passed this Afnor* test using a push away system.
This means that under very strong pull (a kite can pull 200 kg easily), many QRs on the market will NOT release, or will require HUGE effort.

* Afnor test: see http://www.kiteattitude.com/us/kite_att ... nswers.htm

Second, manufacturing a push away QR is very unexpensive: this is basically a pin and a tube, or similar.

Third, under very strong load, do you seriously think it makes sense to push away rather than pull towards yourself?

It is not because many people are doing things one way that it is the only way or the best way... I am sorry to remind you that well over 50 people died from kitesurfing, and many others were very seriously injured, ... using what you call "standard gear" (!!!). This is very very bad publicity for the sport (although most media and pros are hiding the facts for obvious reasons...).
The reality is that many people are giving up kitesurfing and/or moving to windsurfing because they were scared.
My opinion is that we have to do something to change this.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:14 am

Toby wrote:any release with not a push up release should be not be made anymore. we are close to a standard.
Are you saying that the standard should be a "push up" release?

I don't know why a push up release would be better than a pull release. Personally find it more intuitive to pull in an emergency rather than push. Just me tho. All my bars have push releases.

I Like Ozone Kites
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Napeague bay baby
Favorite Beaches: nappy
Style: wakestyle
Gear: Ozone sports

Postby I Like Ozone Kites » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:22 am

kiteattitude wrote:Toby, I disagree with you about "push away quick releasers (QRs)" for a number of reasons.

First: our quick releaser passed the French Afnor test, that is a very demanding safety test for quick releasers. We heavily invested in R&D (I can show you numerous calculations by engineering teams, dozens of designs...) to come up with a very secure quick releaser. Our design is patented.
This means that under very strong pull (a kite can pull 200 kg easily), many QRs on the market will NOT release, or will require HUGE effort.

* Afnor test: see http://www.kiteattitude.com/us/kite_att ... nswers.htm

Second, manufacturing a push away QR is very unexpensive: this is basically a pin and a tube, or similar.

Third, under very strong load, do you seriously think it makes sense to push away rather than pull towards yourself?

It is not because many people are doing things one way that it is the only way or the best way... I am sorry to remind you that well over 50 people died from kitesurfing, and many others were very seriously injured, ... using what you call "standard gear" (!!!). This is very very bad publicity for the sport (although most media and pros are hiding the facts for obvious reasons...).
The reality is that many people are giving up kitesurfing and/or moving to windsurfing because they were scared.
My opinion is that we have to do something to change this.
attitude did the right thing, i dont believe in pushup you just want them all to be like that cuz most of them are like that but pulling in makes more sense and is a lot easier

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:39 pm

kiteattitude wrote:Toby, I disagree with you about "push away quick releasers (QRs)" for a number of reasons.

Could somebody clarify who's design that is to begin with? The bar it-self is the same as 2009 Eclipse, and the release was first introduced on 2008 Eclipse bars... So who actually did the R&D?

swell29
Rare Poster

Postby swell29 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:53 pm

Kiteattitude is the designer ,they make the R&D ,eclipse bought it

Antigrav
Frequent Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Brand Affiliation: Shop rider

Postby Antigrav » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:21 pm

I have to agree with toby here, if I am unhooking and lose the bar, when i pull the bar back to myself i don't want to be yanking the QR by accident by pulling on it. It makes sense to have all releases the same so that people are in no doubt (whatever kite they are on) that they know which way to pull/push the release.
Push away makes more sense to me because I think 'get away from me kite', so push the release/kite away from myself.
But of course it's just my opinion, it is not necessarily what everyone else gets on with, and I appreciate that other people will think differently

discojuggernaut
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach - Sunset Cooridor
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Egypt, Waddell Creek, La Ventana, Hood River
Style: Freeride, big air, waveriding
Gear: 8m, 10m, 12m FS speed

Postby discojuggernaut » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:33 pm

kiteattitude wrote:
Third, under very strong load, do you seriously think it makes sense to push away rather than pull towards yourself?.
Pull in systems that require some load/tension to activate may not release when lines are slack. People sometimes release their kites prior to getting dragged/lofted.

Wish a push-away system, as long as you are connected to your harness hook, you should be able to release.

Return to “Kitesurfing”