Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: California, US Sales Ocean Rodeo Kiteboarding/Hyperflex Wetsuits
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2010 Ocean Rodeo Rise Venturi XPD

Postby EvanOR » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi All,

I'm stoked to offer you the first look at our killer new Rise Venturi with XPD Technology. Continuing with our ongoing goal of making kites more efficient and packing even more power per square meter, here are a couple of key highlights.

1) You'll note we've gone to a 6 strut design, and as such eliminated the center strut. This improves aerodynamics in a critical area of the kite, and reduces weight where you want it least. The end result is a kite with yet more power, greater efficiency, higher stability, and a more rigid canopy less prone to distortion at the top end of its range!

2) XPD Technology. You can see that panels on the LE get exponentially larger when moving from the center of the kite to the tips, and that they mate up perfectly with the 6 strut layout.

Larger panels at the tips increase projected area, reduce drag, and provide direct steering input. The transition to smaller panels at the center better matches the curvature at the trailing edge, and provides better airflow and lift. More power!

We've also come out with a fantastic new adjustable size bar, and on top of all this, have actually reduced MSRP on the majority of our 2010 product line. :thumb:

Please contact your preferred retailer to inquire about price, availability and to place your orders.

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Performance over Hype

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Re: 2010 Ocean Rodeo Rise Venturi XPD

Postby james » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:25 pm

kite looks nice, but the longer LE segments do have a whiff of geotech about them a little similar to what is done with the new rebel. oh and all the naish kites since 08.

not a bad thing at all and i geuss it may look very different in the flesh, just interested in your thoughts.

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:58 pm

EvanOR wrote:1) You'll note we've gone to a 6 strut design, and as such eliminated the center strut. This improves aerodynamics in a critical area of the kite, and reduces weight where you want it least. The end result is a kite with yet more power, greater efficiency, higher stability, and a more rigid canopy less prone to distortion at the top end of its range!

2) XPD Technology. You can see that panels on the LE get exponentially larger when moving from the center of the kite to the tips, and that they mate up perfectly with the 6 strut layout.

Larger panels at the tips increase projected area, reduce drag, and provide direct steering input. The transition to smaller panels at the center better matches the curvature at the trailing edge, and provides better airflow and lift. More power!
just unbelievable! every day brings more miracles!

how do 6 struts make kite liter then the kite with 5 struts (2008 Rise)??!!

and, please, somebody, explain to the public how
EvanOR wrote:Larger panels at the tips increase projected area, reduce drag, and provide direct steering input
???

if possible in graphic. you got to be kidding!!!!

don't consider us as idiots.
"direct steering" is provided by flat area close to middle of the kite.

please, verify it with your aerodynamic designers before you go public...

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EvanOR » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:05 pm

Ouch, it looks like angry day on KF...... :argue:

Reread the post....I never said that " 6 struts is lighter than 5 ", but rather, that it " reduces weight where you want it least. " The overall weight of the Rise is about the same as the '09. The benefit is a lower center of gravity.

My suggestion? How about flying the kite before making up your mind - judgment without experience doesn't hold much merit..... :D

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Performance over Hype

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:32 pm

hi evan
well, i'm not so angry really.
i've seen clearly "and reduces weight where you want it least" text, no problem.
so may be you solve the weight problem with using less dacron cloth on the canopy, ok.

but still try to prove this sentence:
"Larger panels at the tips increase projected area, reduce drag, and provide direct steering input"

winds

El Rudo
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Slufter NL, world
Gear: OR
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby El Rudo » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:38 pm

I think you need to see a front view of the kite to see how it works - in theory.
You'll see larger panels > longer segments where the roundness is not needed, and vice versa.

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EvanOR » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:46 pm

And here's another look at the bar. Is this cool or what?

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Performance over Hype

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:13 pm

El Rudo wrote:I think you need to see a front view of the kite to see how it works - in theory.
You'll see larger panels > longer segments where the roundness is not needed, and vice versa.
it has nothing to do with the roundness or anglyness at these speeds. it has to be supersonic speed to make me think about changing the shape of the LE and the profile of the foil. all the rest is sale's department privileges.

if you noticed North resumes making 5 struts Rebels after one year of experimenting. Takoon Nova moved two close-to-centre struts closer together. so from this you can read that no central strut is not a good solution. and this was the North who tried to tell us previously that without the central strut kite turns faster. so what has changed since then?

winds

EvanOR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EvanOR » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:43 am

Eree,

We won't attempt to speak for North, Takoon, or anywhere else for that matter, but Flexifoil makes some pretty sick 6 strut kites, and Hadlow seems to make them work ok... :lol:

We just know our own designs, our own R&D process, and the outstanding results that stem from it. We don't go into production with any product without being confident about it - as it should be.

Your comment (" it has to be supersonic speed to make me think about changing the shape of the LE and the profile of the foil " ) seems to imply that you're a designer and perhaps involved making kites for another brand? It's very cool to see you expressing so much interest in our design, regardless of whether you are in the industry, but obviously we disagree with your thoughts, and fortunately for us, the Rise is our kite so we get to do what we like with it - we tested several strut configurations and this was the hand's down winner. :thumb:

Any in the unlikely event anyone's not stoked, no problemo: Ocean Rodeo 100% Guarantee.

Cheers,

Evan

Ocean Rodeo
Hyperflex Wetsuits

Performance over Hype

grantman54
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grantman54 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:29 am

Hey OR! awesome looking bar! Best looking bar I've seen! How "plasticy" does it feel. Does it feel really solid or is it a rather light plastic bar.
I've also been thinking about a curved bar. It looks like the new bar has a slight curve. Does it make using it feel more natural?

If you guys keep this up, my new kites are going to be Rise's.

Next year at the Pismo Beach Kite Expo you guys should throw in a Rise into the raffle. I WOULD BUY SOOO many tickets for a chance to win one. It was awesome that you guys had a Mako in the raffle; and I really like my OR hat. :D Lets step it up! :D :D :D :P

Return to “Kitesurfing”