Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Need board recommendation for chop and waves, medium wind...

Forum for kitesurfers
markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Need board recommendation for chop and waves, medium wind...

Postby markchatwin » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:04 am

I'm 5'8", 160 lbs, aggressive beginner/intermediate. My conditions are inland lake, onshore, 15-25+mph with a lot of chop and waves. Kites are 13m, 9m Revs... Currently I'm using an older 148cm Litewave Freeride board but want to get something smaller to handle bigger wind. I like to surf around in the rollers and jump off of the lips of the waves but not into crazy air or speed, just fun and general freeride style. Did I say a lot of chop and waves? That's the main ingredient here. What boards and lengths/widths would advance the fun factor here? Thanks...
Last edited by markchatwin on Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BLACKJACK
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Brighton
Favorite Beaches: I love them all
Style: Old school
Gear: CORE GT kites,Flysurfer Speed 3, Ocean Rodeo Makos ,Flyradicals and HP Spleene Rip.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Need a board recommendation...

Postby BLACKJACK » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:38 am

You cant go wrong with MAKO 140X40.It sounds like very big board for your weight, but it feels and rides like much smaller one.

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, Cabrinha

Postby ktflyer381 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:17 pm

I ride the same conditions here on Lake Ontario - onshore, choppy and waves. I bought an UG Flx 135 in 08, it does OK, but I bought the OR Mako Wide 140 this year and it is incredible. I like the Mako because it is smooth in the chop, I can do all of the wakestyle tricks I could on my Flx, I can surf the waves (only better way would be with a true surf board) and it is easy to turn around and get back out through the chop. The period on the waves in Lake Ontario is very short, so if you can't get back out quickly you get worked over and over. Also, at 170 lbs I can ride the 140 with my 15m kite in 10 knots of wind (and stay upwind), so don't let anyone tell you it is only a high wind board.

I bought the OR based on my brother's experience with the Mako Wide 150, and online reviews, but was skeptical. As it turns out there really is some magic in the Mako, I love my 140 and wouldn't trade it.

calamalka
Medium Poster
Local Beach: istanbul
Style: fly and fly:)
Gear: ROYAL ERA 14
FLUİD TORQUE 12
ROYAL ERA 10
PAT LOVE HARNESS
ROYAL BOARDS
Brand Affiliation: www.praykiteboarding.com

Postby calamalka » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:46 pm

get an aboards Z or X series

www.aboards.eu

jcotoole
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Squamish
Favorite Beaches: Squamish, Nitinaht Lake, South Padre Island TX, Avon NC
Style: Crazy
Gear: Cabrinha, Decosse Kiteboards
Brand Affiliation: Decosse Custom Kiteboards

Postby jcotoole » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:09 pm

Check out Decosse Customs. The are made in Cranbrook, B.C. You can choose from 125, 131 or the 131 wide glide. You can choose whatever straps/pads you want, fin size(they come with two sets), and it even comes with an hour of custom graphics. I just rode my older slider board, an 06 Jaime Pro and I hate it! At the time when I bought it, I loved it.....But not anymore!!!!!

I ride the 131 and its awesome! It`s probably the lightest board that I have tried so far. It`s great for chop and carving up wind and the pop you get is awesome. As for strength goes, they have only had one board break EVER and that was from a guy who rides 200 days a year and it took him 2 years for it to stress fracture.......So decosse built him a new one....Pretty good warranty IMO

Check them out at decossecustoms.com

Tell them Jim sent you and he will give you a deal!

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Need board recommendation for chop and waves, medium wind...

Postby markchatwin » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:42 pm

Have checked out all the boards folks have recommended. I have found 3 used boards for sale with potential. Any opinions on the 2008 Litewave Rasta 136 x 44, 2009 Crazyfly Raptor Pro 137 x 41, or 2007 UG FLX 132? Would love to plunge on the OR Mako 140 but none out there for good price...

Neptune
Medium Poster

Postby Neptune » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:59 pm

The Litewave Rasta 08 has the same outline as the present Litewave Vision 09, I believe.

The Vision has a hooked rail design and very curvy edge outline. It is my preferred board in choppy conditions. If possible take it for a test ride and see how you get on!! :thumb:

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:14 pm

Thanks Neptune! Yes I have spoken with Litewave Dave and the boards are essentially identical. So you like the board in chop... The board I have a line on is the 136x44 - do you think this will be a little big or just right for 15-25 mph (11m - 12m conditions)? Peeling down the waves as well?

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:03 pm

markchatwin, shoot me an email at s@windydevil.com

Stefaans

Neptune
Medium Poster

Postby Neptune » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:20 pm

markchatwin wrote:Thanks Neptune! Yes I have spoken with Litewave Dave and the boards are essentially identical. So you like the board in chop... The board I have a line on is the 136x44 - do you think this will be a little big or just right for 15-25 mph (11m - 12m conditions)? Peeling down the waves as well?
Sounds perfect mate! :thumb:
Yes for your size and for the 25mph days you could go a smaller board, but I find the Visions can hold down excess power easily with their hooked rails, better than other boards. A 136 to 140 board and a 128 - 133 board (depending on your size and weight - for you, the shorter boards will work out!) ends up being a great choice for a quiver of boards, so you will always have a place for the 136!!

Cheers :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”